Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 09-05-2011
Super Moderator

Default Advice on lipo, esc's & motors please

Hi all
Having come back to the racing world after a 20 year absence i find myself surrounded by new tech i don't really understand yet
I would like to run lipo batteries for their obvious benefits but have no idea about what esc or motors to use, or how to handle the lipo's
At the moment all i have is a Nosram dominator esc, a 12x2 peak racing vantage brushed motor & 5000 nimh cells, my Bosscat handles these easily
Will i have to upgrade everything i have or can my esc handle these batteries? can my motor handle these? or do i have to go brushless?
Last question, can my Bosscat handle these upgrades or do i need something newer like a cat sx etc
Sorry if this sounds at all dumb but i don't want to shell out on the wrong equipment
Thanks in advance
Gainsy
Old 10-05-2011
Mad Member

If your current ESC can handle 8.4v, then you should be OK with a Lipo (although probably avoid the higher C ratings). However, I tried the same on my return with an LRP IPC v6 and Trinity D3 11x2 and it worked OK but I scorched the brushes in just a couple of runs. After that, I took the plunge into brushless and the difference is night and day! Much faster, more power and virtually zero maintenance - was a win:win for me!

You won't really go wrong with any of the main manufacturers (Speed Passion, LRP, Novak, Tekin, Orion, etc). I would recommend matching ESC and Motor brands for best results, although this is not strictly necessary. Your Bosscat transmission will probably struggle with anything much hotter than 10.5, so bear that in mind too. There is a new Cat on the horizon (SX3) so you may prefer to wait for this (although none of your existing wheels etc will fit). Alternatively, look through this forum for advice on which other 4wd's might suit your needs.

Depending on your budget, you will be able to source good examples of all of the above in the "For Sale" section on this forum too.

HTH
Old 10-05-2011
Super Moderator

Cheers for the advice Toby
Will probably go for a brushless esc & motor upgrade as that seems the most sensible route
Wish i could afford a sx3 but will probably end up with a sx1 or 2 if i get really lucky, just missed a sx2 on ebay yesterday, went for £160, seemed a good price as it had all the hop up's
Old 10-05-2011
Mad Member

just remember the sx2 takes stick packs, whereas most of the other 4wd's take saddle...
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainsy View Post
Cheers for the advice Toby
Will probably go for a brushless esc & motor upgrade as that seems the most sensible route
Wish i could afford a sx3 but will probably end up with a sx1 or 2 if i get really lucky, just missed a sx2 on ebay yesterday, went for £160, seemed a good price as it had all the hop up's
If you are looking for a brushless speedo you can't go wrong with one of these bargain

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xtreme-stock-p-405301.html
Old 10-05-2011
Super Moderator

Was thinking along these lines
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufa...m/NR90582.html
Am i right in thinking Nosram is a rebranded LRP?
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainsy View Post
Was thinking along these lines
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufa...m/NR90582.html
Am i right in thinking Nosram is a rebranded LRP?
The xtreme is for more adjustable and a better speedo than the evil

yes nosram and lrp are the same
Old 10-05-2011
Super Moderator

Ok, cheers for that mate
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by big air View Post
If you are looking for a brushless speedo you can't go wrong with one of these bargain

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xtreme-stock-p-405301.html

From my extreame limite knowledge that looks good for the price. I see many people at the club i race with 6.5T motors but this can only run a 12.5T and just wondering if its going to keep up, or conversly as im back from a 20 year gap in RC a 6.5T may leave me behind LOL

What motor would you put with it? Ideal vs budget (as its tight and so am I)
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber View Post
From my extreame limite knowledge that looks good for the price. I see many people at the club i race with 6.5T motors but this can only run a 12.5T and just wondering if its going to keep up, or conversly as im back from a 20 year gap in RC a 6.5T may leave me behind LOL

What motor would you put with it? Ideal vs budget (as its tight and so am I)
It says on my instructions 8.5 turn on road and 11.5 turn off road?
Don't know why it's says it can handle a hotter motor in a TC and not a buggy since surely a TC puts more stress on the esc. I have also read on 0ople somewhere that someone is using a 7.5/8.5 with the turbo disabled and it runs fine and cool.

a 7.5/8.5 is plenty quick

Motor wise i would take a look in the for sale section, you can pick up a decent lrp/nosram/gm for around £35/40

hth steve
Old 10-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you go to the HobbyWing link in my signiture you will see that the V2.1 and 1S ESCs are only a little extra and I am running them with 5.5s in 4wd off road without any issue at all.

I have an Xtreme stock and TBH when I ran an 8.5 in the TC with it I was unhappy with how warm it got.