Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 07-04-2010

The first Associate buggy the RC10 in 1984 was basically a light plastic and alloy copy of the 1979 Tamiya Rough Rider design which in turn I think was based on the one of the first Schumacher buggies...

The AE RC10 1984

Anyway...buggy design has not changed a huge amount, just the materials and tech...if it aint broke don't fix it...but AE did not start it all. Probably Tamiya and Schumacher did

Really nice looking car, might add it to my shopping list

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 07-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylon View Post
The first Associate buggy the RC10 in 1984 was basically a light plastic and alloy copy of the 1979 Tamiya Rough Rider design which in turn I think was based on the one of the first Schumacher Cats...

The AE RC10 1984

The only image I can find of the first CAT... this is from 1980 I think but was out in 79 I think..

Anyway...buggy design has not changed a huge amount, just the materials and tech...if it aint broke don't fix it...but AE did not start it all. Probably Schumacher or Tamiya did

Really nice looking car, might add it to my shopping list

J
:drumroll:

And the award for the worst knowledge of the history of RC goes to...

...kaylon

For the record, the Associated RC10 really has nothing to do with the Rough Rider beyond being a rear-motored 2wd buggy.

The Schumacher CAT you have pictured is at least the 4th generation of the car. The original CAT came out in about '85/'86, and has absolutely no connection with the Rough Rider or RC10 in design philosophy, apart from being a radio controlled car.

Good try though.
Old 07-04-2010

Already edited my post with the wrong cat pic haha...the article I was reading showed that pic I just hit copy paste LOL...

I still think the overall design of the modern buggy is hugely influenced by the 1979 Rough Rider.

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 07-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Emilsson View Post
Btw, what difference is there between the B4, RB5 and Losi XXX-CR?
An experienced eye can see quite significant differences between the B4 and the XXX.
Old 07-04-2010

Exactly my point.
You should therefore also be able to spot the differences between the TRF and B4, right?

But I´ve said it before, you see what you want to see...
Old 07-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Exactly my point.
You should therefore also be able to spot the differences between the TRF and B4, right?

No, I can't see any differences apart from the style of some of the mouldings and maybe a couple of extra mounting positions. It looks like a complete geometric and conceptual copy. The vernier will be the proof.

I'm a little disappointed that Tamiya didn't try to develop the design a little now we are in the era of Lithium cells and brushless, but not surprised. The B4 has been an incredibly successful platform and this is a safe release for them.

If I get some off-roading done again, I'd happily consider switching to the Tamiya, simply because it is metric and the parts quality should be a little better than what Thunder Tiger are sending out for the B4 these days.
Old 07-04-2010

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

I see a lot of all three buggies in that car. If I know Tamiya, they took the best ideas and geometry from all three and made it into one buggy, but to high quality and manufacturing standards.

It doesn't look any more like a B4 than it does a XXX or an RB5. Some of you guys need to clean your Associated rose-colored glasses more often. At least this car will come with top shelf shocks and shouldn't break if you look at it sideways.
Old 07-04-2010

Quote:
Exactly my point.

Thank you Fredrik for this post..

I can spot a difference from the B4, the TRF looks stonger and beefier!
Old 07-04-2010

There is one thing that jumps out at me... Metric fasteners.. Having recently purchased a B4 I then had to get a new set of imperial tools. Ok Tools are shiney and I like them, but one very nice set of drivers has lasted me for years. I like metric
Old 08-04-2010

screw your standard tools. you all shoulve waited for the big T. cant wait to get one of these...yummy. Now To add to my arsenal I will own a 501x and a trf2wd car.
Old 08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
^^ Seperated at birth??
he,he,yeah I think so too. Anyway I still prefer the B4. Tamiya should have released that car a few years ago..
Old 08-04-2010

the key difference is:

- the tamiya uses stick packs
- the b4 uses 6x1 packs

Paul

PS: thanks much to the guy who mentioned the Rc10 as being "inspire" by the SRB... you made my day, buddy!!!
Old 08-04-2010

The motor does seem to be mounted further forward in the Tamiya compared to the B4. Is this an attempt to get the balance right for Lipo? If you think about the torque on the rear axle due to the mass infront and behind it. If you have less mass infront, ie changing from NiMH to LiPo, then you need to move the motor forward to compensate. I thought Associated might make a revised gearbox moving the motor forward to help a bit to stop the front wheels lifting and lessen the pendulum effect? A small but important difference.

Ben

ps, I hope they have designed it to take taller LiPos, doesn't look like it to my eyes
Old 08-04-2010

On a close inspection of the two photos (assuming the angle is near enough the same) theres quite a bit of difference in the rear suspension.
Just look at where the base of the shocktower is mounted on the Tamiya, it all looks further forward.
Heaven knows if its enough to make a difference, are there any team drivers out there that are now available to comment?
Old 08-04-2010

Guys seriously, lets not insult this great kit by comparing it to a B4. Ive driven the B4 and all the current 2wd buggies and havent been impressed by any which is why I run 4wd at the moment. B4's break if you sneeze on them. The Losi's, although I prefer them among any other 2wd, lack sufficient steering but work good with the right setup, and Kyosho..ehhh...no. Tamiya's back lets embrace it, buy it and run it instead oftrying to categorize and compare it to everything else. Just looking at it you can tell the plastic is better and ot made of rice paper.
Old 08-04-2010

I'm comparing it to the B4 only because with the shell on it looked exactly like one (frt shock tower apart) but also because thats what it could be replacing on mine (possibly) or alot of people's pit tables.

To be fair, the B4 is all I have ever raced so thats why I'm comparing, I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 08-04-2010

i just hope they put the same little pictures in the manual showing the little kid eating screw's!!!
deffo will be on my list!,and lets face it how can you vary the design of a 2wd car? there all gonna look the same in one way or another.
except the kyosho maxum ff........which was crap!
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 08-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV2382 View Post
B4's break if you sneeze on them.
In over a year of use Ive bust 1 front arm (cheers again J Wilkinson and your size 12 roadblock feet) and bent a rear hinge pin. Maybe you should stop sneezing on them

Clown
Old 09-04-2010

Yeah it's derivative of what's already out there alright.

But I still want one.
Old 10-04-2010

@farmboy: spazstix is the paint MS's airbrusher uses. nice paint by the way

sometimes you see the differences only when you build them up. I thought my RB5 would be much more like the B4 but it wasn't. Even if it looks the same it will handle different. But it is more like the B4 than a XXX or Rb5.
That proves how innovative the Hotbodies 2WD really was.