Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 12-05-2008

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresibaresi View Post
Hmmm..... I am still sat on the fence wondering which way to jump..... RB5? or B4?

I have had a look on-line and have found that they cost around the same

RB5 = £150

B4 = £159

What to do.... what to do....
If you haven't made your mind up yet, this post might help you in your decision...

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=165

The Kyosho's were the least supported cars in 2WD and 4WD at the recent national.

HTH,

Chris.
Old 12-05-2008

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

In the North West regionals last year there was only one Kyosho RB5 I believe.
That said, Stu Wood did win the whole thing with it.
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

untill he went back to the b4, I wonder why
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Green View Post
If you haven't made your mind up yet, this post might help you in your decision...

The Kyosho's were the least supported cars in 2WD and 4WD at the recent national.

HTH,

Chris.
Great .... that really helps increase support for the car ......

The 2 cars in question were my friend Ian's and mine. Both cars ran faultlessly through the day and I personally could have gone no quicker with anything else (2wd) I have EVER driven. The car didn't lack steering (heard a lot of people saying their car did), jumped very well, made the bumps look invisible (but to be fair it wasn't exactly the surface of the moon anyway) so what more could I have hoped for from my car.

I am getting quicker with the Kyosho cars with each meeting and it is my driving, not the cars in any way, that are holding back my results. I am now much quicker with the RB5 than I ever was with the B4 and it is a much easier car to drive cleanly than the B4 as the car itself is so consistent.

There now does seem to be a "magic set-up" for the RB5 which most people who have tried seem to like but as with any other car a tweak here and there to suit an individual's personal preferences will make the car more suited to that person.

I am that convinced that the RB5 is a top class car that I intend to build up my spare ready to race and let anybody who wants to run it do so at any meeting.

Still looking for a go with Super_Dan's X6 though as that looked to be working really nicely at Oz.
Old 12-05-2008

Send a message via ICQ to Scouser

I am only speculating, but I think if Kyosho were running a UK team, Stu Wood would be part of that team and still driving an RB5.

Last edited by Scouser; 12-05-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: phrased better than initial post.
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hudson View Post
untill he went back to the b4, I wonder why
I am sure Stu will come along and speak for himself but a driver of his standard is going to run what he can get support for and if I am to criterise Kyosho for anything it is NOT HAVING A UK TEAM. It's all well and good people like myself working hard on the car to make it go well but we're never going to make national A finals without selling our souls to the devil .... for that they need to take on a couple of drivers who already have!!!

If somebody like, say Ellis / Cragg / Doughty / Martin / Yardy (and yes Woody) etc, had been offered a deal they couldn't turn down by Kyosho and had taken up the cars then I am sure that there would have been a big swing to the cars when people saw them winning weekend after weekend.

Please keep comments in context.
Old 12-05-2008

Quote:

HTH,

Chris.
Yes use it to help your decision...... Stand out from the crowd and drive Kyosho!

But this only represents the 120 national drivers, if you look at club and regional level the stats look a bit different. I would say in North West area lazer zx-5 is the most popular 4wd and 2007 regiona champion!
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

thats big downfall theres no support, they could most likely make it into a popular car if they made the effort but so far they havnt bothered
Old 12-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i personally have only ever seen 2 in my life! and would like to see more, its good to see a variety of cars in races i myself would like to have a go with one but never see anyone with them
Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
I am sure Stu will come along and speak for himself but a driver of his standard is going to run what he can get support for and if I am to criterise Kyosho for anything it is NOT HAVING A UK TEAM. It's all well and good people like myself working hard on the car to make it go well but we're never going to make national A finals without selling our souls to the devil .... for that they need to take on a couple of drivers who already have!!!

If somebody like, say Ellis / Cragg / Doughty / Martin / Yardy (and yes Woody) etc, had been offered a deal they couldn't turn down by Kyosho and had taken up the cars then I am sure that there would have been a big swing to the cars when people saw them winning weekend after weekend.

Please keep comments in context.
I totally agree! But is it the local shops, or the guys on the head centre of Kyosho in Englang who decide who and what that will get a sponsorship?

If it is the local shops I understand why the support is so bad as it is now. Here in Norway Kyosho have started at least 10 new shops the last year, and guess whos work and own those shops? Some totally rookies who think they can run a rc-hobby store just like any shop at all. No, you need to have som knowledge in what you're selling.

I asked my local Kyosho store for some kind of sponsorship, but never got any reply. Maybe he don't care, which I think is very bad. Maybe he didn't want to make a such decition, but he could wrote a reply...

Therefor I bought a B4 who will arrive any day by now...

Sure I could have bought a Rb5, but I don't want to use a lot time on making the car work properly. Is soo much easier to just get a B4, and copy some others setup and work yourself from there...
Old 12-05-2008

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW View Post
Yes use it to help your decision...... Stand out from the crowd and drive Kyosho!

But this only represents the 120 national drivers, if you look at club and regional level the stats look a bit different. I would say in North West area lazer zx-5 is the most popular 4wd and 2007 regiona champion!
It represents the elite drivers in the UK, racing at the highest level in this country. If you are racing in the UK, then this info is very useful.

Stand out from the crowd? why? so you have to stock up on more spares, and feel like a loner all day because you can't share setups with anyone?

I do think that its good to be different, but only if different is better?

If you've driven both cars, or a range of 2WD cars, and then prefer the Kyosho, then great, it makes sense to buy one.
In Roger's case, he's driving the car he prefers, which is obviously fine. However, I don't get these "gotta be different for the sake of it" people? Why?
I guess there is a lot of satisfaction with working with a car over a period of time, discovering a setup that suits you as an individual. I personally wouldn't enjoy that.

I personally have not driven a Kyosho, hence why I won't criticise the car itself.

I have a B4, and yes, I bought it as that is what near enough everybody else runs. If I've got an issue with the setup, I'll ask around, and a massive community of people can share their experiences. That support is just not available with the RB5.
Old 12-05-2008

Quote:
It represents the elite drivers in the UK, racing at the highest level in this country. If you are racing in the UK, then this info is very useful.
The elite drivers in the UK are sponsered. Those drivers are not choosing Kyosho because the sponsership deals are just not available in the UK. If Kyosho were to start a proper race team, then I think they would get good race results and better market share. The ZX5 already sells well amoungst club drivers, but I think Kyosho are really missing out on a lot of sales of RB5 by not pushing the car at high level.

Quote:
I have a B4, and yes, I bought it as that is what near enough everybody else runs. If I've got an issue with the setup, I'll ask around, and a massive community of people can share their experiences. That support is just not available with the RB5.
It all depends in what you look for from the hobby. If you want a buy a car, download a setup, and just race it, then B4 is definately the way to go. On the other hand if you enjoy tweaking a car and working on setups then something like the RB5 is very rewarding.
Old 13-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sabban ...... Kyosho UK don't seem interested I must say. I have spoken to them several times and they just don't seem interested in 1/10th OR.

Dan W makes some very valid points.

Lets be clear, there does seem to be a sweet "magic set-up" that I, or anybody else I've shared it with, will be more than happy to provide. I will post up a set-up sheet on here when I get to my own PC again.
Old 13-05-2008
Mad Member

Default *

B4 anyday cos there are so many options ie convert to X6, S2 and you have a completely different car that are proven
Old 13-05-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

shawn i think you have answered your own question you posted this in the kyosho section so you are obviously tempted towards the rb5.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 13-05-2008

Good News -

I finally came to a decision after many a sleepless night and have gone for a B4.

Bad News -

After placing my order I found out that they are out of stock and am having to wait till end of May to get it!!

Arse.
Old 13-05-2008
Mad Member

Maybe still better than waiting for a "Cougar SX" or "D2"
Old 13-05-2008

Send a message via Skype™ to martboy21

b4,not that ive had any experience with therb5,except one guy at west kent regional kept saying that his car was SH$T! SH$T! SH$T! plus when i first started out veryone kept saying get a b4

look at the heritage,its world proven!

ITS COLIN!!
D4
B4
Tekin FX-R
Peak Spashett 9 x 2
Eden Park Raceway
Fro0b Racing
Old 14-05-2008
Mad Member

well, the Ultima has the heritage as well - World Champion 1987/88 .
Although I really like Kyosho, I would recommend the B4 to anybody looking for a 2wd buggy. When Gil Losi jr. puts some work into the RB-5 "SP" that will come for sure in the future, things might look very different. The 2WD class will experience the same thing as the 4WD class in the next months or year (s): more than one competitive car. I am quite sure that Hot Bodies and Schumacher would like to make a little money on this market as well.

Another low-budget contender is available as well, the Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX (aka B3), don't forget about it!
Old 15-05-2008

Hi All,
after seeing the RB5 review here on oople.com I decided to buy one As I'm in Australia I'll prob buy my spares from America or off EBay as they dont stock much in the way of RB 5 spares where I live. Does anyone have a link to a decent setup for the RB5 as I'm a complete novice, I'll be driving on dirt/ clay tracks. My last 2 wheel drive was a Tamiya Frog in the 80's.

cheers