Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 04-12-2006

Default Motor too much?

Hi, would a standard Tamiya Gear Box be able to handle an Orion Modified 10x3 motor? If not any suggestions of a good motor to run for extra power? I'm just getting into this and whilst I'm a beginner and therefore a bit clueless, I would still like some speed.
Old 04-12-2006
Administrator

it really depends what car you are talking about - also depends on what you mean "take it"
the lower end tamiya cars with some modern gearbox designs might be able to take the power in terms of gear strength - but they migth have plastic motor mounts which wont cool the motor, and also might warp if they get very hot.

and of course a really fast motor in a car that doesnt handle well wont make much difference over a slower motor. I saw one of their latest 2wd buggys recently, it was really quite bad handling with the friction shocks.. add some proper shocks and it would have been SO much better.
Old 04-12-2006

Thanks Jimmy. I just bought it on ebay cos I didn't want to buy new yet. THought I'd buy a used set up and see if I enjoy myself. Its a Tamiya Desert Gator which got an ok review I think in Racer mag. Will probably need some work on the shocks and motor mounting by the sound of it. If I enjoy myself it I'll probably go for a Losi or Associated after, once I know what I'm doing a bit more.

I'm new to the whole scene, but may come along to the Batley meeting on Sunday and pester the regulars with stupid questions. DO you get many newbies turning up looking a bit daft like me?
Old 04-12-2006
Administrator

I think thats the exact car I was talking about. The new habit of including friction shocks seems really wierd by Tamiya - it makes for a very hard car to drive indeed since it cant really get the power down when it is bouncing.
It actually looks a good car, its just a shame it has friction shocks.

Some cheap shocks on ebay would really help it, not had a look but im sure someone must do a reasonably priced set (not tamiya then).

I think DCM on here had/has, one of the cars, maybe he can shed some light on making sure its dialled!

I should be there on sunday, I think I am going to race my ancient RC10.
Old 04-12-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

It will take that sort of motor, but see if you can put some oil shocks on it rather than the friction ones, or if you can't get some, pack the friction shocks with grease, that will stop them bouncing so much.

I can't remember, if it don't come with CVD's in the rear, then make sure you space the dogbone driveshafts so they don't pop out.
Old 04-12-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I think I am going to race my ancient RC10.
Addictive ain't it Jimmy?

G
Old 04-12-2006

I won't even try such wind on a entry level or vintage Tamiya, the rear gear on the 4wd shaft will blow away every time.

GO FOR 'EM DOGBERT!!

Please visit:
WATT RC CARS

http://www.oople.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=562&dateline=12565680  10
Old 04-12-2006

Thanks for the help guys, its pretty reassuring that there's advice when needed. I'll check out ebay now for some oil shocks. Does anyone sell them or other parts at the club meetings?

Last daft question (for now). Will any make receiver work with a Futaba 27mhz transmitter?
Old 05-12-2006

The desert gator has oil shocks they are just plastic bodied, i bought one to build when i was bored earlier this year.

With the receiver any brand will work fine.
Old 05-12-2006

Send a message via MSN to LEGEND
Red face

one of my mates who for his first car got a desert gator and bought an orion 19 V2 motor and it was overheating like crazy because on the car there is pre cut holes for the motor and he couldnt get a small enough pinion.