Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 27-05-2009
Super Moderator

If the shock is mounted further out, the shock piston has to move through more oil for the same distance moved by the wheel.

As it takes the same time (in theory) to do it - all things equal - the piston speed must be higher.
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if the wheel moves 50mm in 1 second and the shock is mounted RIGHT on the outside near the wheel, the piston will move roughly 50mm in 1 second

if the shock is mounted half way along the wishbone, the piston will only move roughly 25mm but it will still take 1 second - 25mm per second

so in this extreme (and simple) example, the shock mounted in the 'outer' location has twice the piston speed compared with the inside position for the same wheel speed.

**this is an exagerated and simplified example**

(G beat me to it)
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

and you two understand all this

its a good read- but to be honest im still not and wiser to what it achives

the shock location in reffrence to the oil piston combo
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if you don't change the shock location, its fine.

but if you do change the shock location on the arm, it will probably have an effect on the amount of pack you will get.

I strongly believe that there are so many things that change when you make a change on a car, sometimes you make a change and it does the oposite of what you think it should do, this is often because when you have changed something, you also change something else without realising it.

so moving the shock out on the arm will make the wheel rate stiffer(less leverage over the spring), and it will also increase the piston speed and therefore pack, so which of these changes made the differance?

its possible to sit down and think about stuff all day long, best thing is to get out there and see what works in real life. and what works for you might not work for someone else.
Old 27-05-2009
Mad Member

Milzy you may want to read this:-

Click here for Elvo's info on suspension.

From this I understand that when tracks get bumpy it is often better to go with the larger piston holes and thicker oil so the packs comes in at faster shock speeds rather than "packing" and therefore throwing the car around . You can still get pack on the large jumps but allow the suspension to work over some of the faster bumps. I often feel I can get a better setup using larger holed pistons than I can with smaller hole pistons but that might be due to the range of oils that I have! I like the larger hole when running my 8th cars as they feel nice and smooth when on the bench but chuck them down real hard and you feel the pack.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
if you don't change the shock location, its fine.

but if you do change the shock location on the arm, it will probably have an effect on the amount of pack you will get.

I strongly believe that there are so many things that change when you make a change on a car, sometimes you make a change and it does the oposite of what you think it should do, this is often because when you have changed something, you also change something else without realising it.

so moving the shock out on the arm will make the wheel rate stiffer(less leverage over the spring), and it will also increase the piston speed and therefore pack, so which of these changes made the differance?

its possible to sit down and think about stuff all day long, best thing is to get out there and see what works in real life. and what works for you might not work for someone else.

ok so it dosnt matter where i have my shocks mounted on the tower - long as i dont change the shock loaction when changing from pack to non pack shock set up

and answer to the retorical question i really dont know - guess the pack made the diffrence?
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
ok so it dosnt matter where i have my shocks mounted on the tower - long as i dont change the shock loaction when changing from pack to non pack shock set up

and answer to the retorical question i really dont know - guess the pack made the diffrence?
it does have an effect, but not as much as the location on the arm.

the long and short of it is, if you are changing pistons and oil to change pack, don't change shock location too else you might end up with the oposite effect on pack than what you actually wanted
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
it does have an effect, but not as much as the location on the arm.

the long and short of it is, if you are changing pistons and oil to change pack, don't change shock location too else you might end up with the oposite effect on pack than what you actually wanted
Nice one and for every piston you go up or down you change the oil 5w to match the piston change

can i check

35 number 1 is the no pack
and 30 2 is the pack

for the b4
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
Nice one and for every piston you go up or down you change the oil 5w to match the piston change

can i check

35 number 1 is the no pack
and 30 2 is the pack

for the b4
ask Mick Cragg... I never had to change my B4 so I don't even know which AE pistons are the small or the big holes
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
ask Mick Cragg... I never had to change my B4 so I don't even know which AE pistons are the small or the big holes
1 big
2 smaller
3 smallesr

as kit that is

ive got pistons

in my b4
Old 05-08-2009
EX-Member

Quote:
in the back of the S4/B44

orange/27.5wt was used when we needed to land jumps (Stotfold)
blue/30wt was used to ride ripples and ruts
Sounds like a bit of a plan for Talywain if you ask me !!

Mega confused after reading that but I think I got it.........

I'm going to have 1 set with red pistons, 1 set with orange pistons & 1 set with blue pistons and change the complete shock as to the track this seems far easier.

I'm running Red 27.5wt/30wt, So if I run orange I should look at 32.5/35 and blue 35/37.5 depending on track (large jumps red/orange, bumpy as orange/blue)

HOW FAR OFF AM I
Old 12-08-2009

I'm looking at getting a B44 soon, what is the issue with the standard shocks? Are the Losi shocks much better in practice? Back in the day when I was last racing in the mid-90's the Associated shocks were so-called 'aeration' (probably spelled that wrong) with no diaphagm in the cap, is this still the case (and issue)? If I have to buy the B44 and then get some new shocks that's putting me off a little bit.
Old 12-08-2009
EX-Member

Think the issue is that some people PREFER working with Losi shocks. The associated ones are excellent also its just personal preference really. When you've practised with the Associated ones, getting all the air out they are great. I prefer the Losi's as I find them quicker and easier to work on plus I like PINK haha. There is not an issue or problem with the Associated shocks though.
Old 12-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As Scott has said, you certainly do not NEED the Losi shocks, but some people just choose to use them as personal preference.

If the standard kit B44 shocks were no good all the top AE team drivers wouldnt use them at Nationals

Rest assured that the kit shocks are more than adequate

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups