Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 17-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
I've got the carbon belt covers on mine, hopefully a bit stronger and won't let that happen again!
Part no 54033
Yeah i had that as a spare. Installed here now aswell. Also installed a new servo.Savox 1257TG. Makes a lot more noise then i expected but is fast.
Old 18-03-2010

I have had this happen to me before with the combo of the Atomic Carbon towers with the 3Racing aluminum wing mount..

As much as it may hurt to do, you are going to have to remove the 3Racing wing mount and reinstall the stock plastic mounts..

The 3Racing aluminum mount is just too rigid in combination with the Atomic Carbon towers.. The stock plastic mounts are designed to absorb a good amount of shock and will prevent your rear belt cover from breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carno View Post
@attachment: Suspension is a bit loose in the back
Old 19-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimblum View Post
I have had this happen to me before with the combo of the Atomic Carbon towers with the 3Racing aluminum wing mount..

As much as it may hurt to do, you are going to have to remove the 3Racing wing mount and reinstall the stock plastic mounts..

The 3Racing aluminum mount is just too rigid in combination with the Atomic Carbon towers.. The stock plastic mounts are designed to absorb a good amount of shock and will prevent your rear belt cover from breaking.
I got that alloy wing mount, it sits in a box. I prefer the plastic also, no stress marks on my rear shock tower..
Old 19-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimblum View Post

Had the oppurtunity to test again yesterday (amazing weather 18°C no rain) and did two more of the bad landings ( flips cartwheels etc.) that broke it last time.
Car stayed in one piece this time but i think switching back to the plastic wings mounts is indeed for the best. Maybe i'll just paint those blue

But finally a chance to get a few decent laps to get the feel of the car back.
Old 22-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb5b View Post

Well got no response to this (problem with large threads is you have multiple conversations going) and did an order from Stella for a slipper and 3 racing metal outdrives for the rear. Geared 17/91 ran this last night, pretty quick but not insane, motor temps were reasonable considering it was still 33 degrees C outside at 7pm. Would still appreciate some input, diffs are set up nice, fairly loose but no slippage (after 3 yrs of racing a TA05 you become a bit of a guru at these things)

22T pinion is the sweet spot for 8.5t.

Runnin the 8.5 ballistic and its unreal. The gearing is right on the money, did the math a while back. Goin to the track in a few...~DuRgA~
Old 28-03-2010

Default Steering play

After shimming the front axles to try and reduce the amount of play I'm trying to eliminate some of the play that comes from the steering control arms. It's got quite a bit of movement in it already, and just wondering if anyone out there has come across a solution. I know it won't affect how the car performs too much, but I would like to get the car nice and tight.
Any thoughts?
Old 30-03-2010

Hi Guys!

I have a question regarding the pinion and spur gear on my DB01R: i have had a normal brushged motor installed before and now i just installed my new LRP Vector X12 5.5 brushless motor and SXX TC spec esc. When installing the motor and the pinion (original Tamiya 14t pinion) i realized that the mesh of the pinion and the Spur gear (normal stock Db01R Spur gear) is not 100%. If i want to fix the pinion on the rotor correctly i have only about 2/3 mesh of pinion and Spur gear.
My question is if that is normal or are there any other pinions that are shorter so that the grub screw can be tighten properly on the rotor and the mesh is 100%?
Is it a problem for getting the power on the spur with only a mesh of 2/3? It seems that maybe the rotor is a little too short or the pinion is a little too long. If i would install the pinion the other way round i couldn´t tighten it.
Please help! Thanks in advance!
Old 30-03-2010

Hi Muratti,

Might be a good idea to take a pic so we can see.

PS.

Isn't the 14T a bit undergeared btw? I'm using an 18t pinion on my 6,5 and thinking about switching to 19t and see how my temps hold up.
Old 30-03-2010

Hi Carno, i will try to make a pic this evening. It may be undergeared but i prefer to start undergeared and see how temperature will be with the Durga body. If it is cold i will surely switch to 15t or 16t.
Old 30-03-2010

I managed to upload some pics
I hope you can see a bit as it´s quite different to makew a picture fo the situation. As you can see the mesh is not 100%, i think it´s only about 70% and this is not the perfect way to secure the pinion with the grub screw, it wqould be better to move it even more away from the spur...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01461.jpg (24.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01462.jpg (23.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01465.jpg (26.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 30-03-2010

I think i've got about the same mesh as you maybe a bit more. I'll have to check tonight anyway cause i'll probably switch to my 19t pinion.
I think it should be fine like this as long as your pinion stays on.

Mine has taken quite some abuse last saturday and sunday. One of my motor wires was probably soldered mostly onto the resin and came loose on a landing. But i haven't had any problems with my pinion/spur.
Old 30-03-2010

The problem is the rotor shaft on the X12 is shorter than normal. Seems like an oversight on LRP's part. You can see in the following picture that the bearing housing doesn't stick out as far as normal motors.

In contrast, some motors don't even have an external bearing housing. But instead they have an extended shaft to make up for it...

Your best bet would be to flip the pinion around screw it down with the motor slightly pulled away from the motor mount. You may be able to slide your 1.5mm hex down between the motor mount and motor to tighten the pinion. Then slide the motor into place to check to see if you have full mesh. It may take a couple tries, but would definitely be better than 2/3 mesh.

If that doesn't work, then your stuck with 2/3...
Old 30-03-2010

Many thanks for this advice 95eg! I will try this. I´m sure it will have a better mesh. Good idea
Old 30-03-2010

Make sure to use the 'paper' method when you re-mesh the pinion to the spur. This ensures that the gap between each gear is perfect and will prevent the teeth on your spur gear from getting mangled or worn.

To do this, run a small strip of paper between the gears when you mesh them. Tighten everything down and roll the gears back to remove the paper (as shown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratti View Post
Many thanks for this advice 95eg! I will try this. I´m sure it will have a better mesh. Good idea
Old 31-03-2010

just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone in here for any advice you've given me and replies to my questions and just for posting in here in general, with all the tips i was able to build a very reliable and quick car which i just took to the first round of our state interclub series and took the win in 4wd stock, there were almost 40 entrants in the class and some seriously tough competion, i qualified second, missed out on tq by 0.05 of a second then had some very consistant and solid runs in the finals to give me the win overall, the car didnt miss a beat all weekend
Old 31-03-2010

Hi guys, thanks for the advice but i am afraid if i flip the pinion and fix it with the motor not attached the mesh is less than if i put the pinion on the axle as before. So i tried to get it at the absolute maximum end of the rotor axle. I still haven´t got 100% mesh, more about 70-80% but i tried a short run and it seemed fine like this.
I wonder why nobody before had asked this question or is it standard that 100% mesh is not possible on a DB01?

Thanks dimblum, i already knew that tip with the paper
Old 31-03-2010

I know it is possible with Novak Brushless motors. I have used 3 different Novak motors and all of them were capable of a 100% mesh.

I think 94eg! was right about the shorter shaft on the LRP motor. Still though, I have never heard of anyone having trouble with a 70-80% mesh. A few guys at the tracks I race at don't have a full mesh with their gearing and they have been running their cars that way for over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratti View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the advice but i am afraid if i flip the pinion and fix it with the motor not attached the mesh is less than if i put the pinion on the axle as before. So i tried to get it at the absolute maximum end of the rotor axle. I still haven´t got 100% mesh, more about 70-80% but i tried a short run and it seemed fine like this.
I wonder why nobody before had asked this question or is it standard that 100% mesh is not possible on a DB01?

Thanks dimblum, i already knew that tip with the paper
Old 31-03-2010

This is the second time I've heard of LRP X12 shafts being shorter than normal. Don't know why they did this. I think some standard silver can motors have the same problem.

Happy racing...
Old 02-04-2010

Yes they are indeed way shorter than normal shafts. Just to let you know i have managed to get a pinion from Robitronic and it works perfectly. I didin´t know that there are such differences in length of the pinions. Now i have 100% mesh
Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone in here for any advice you've given me and replies to my questions and just for posting in here in general, with all the tips i was able to build a very reliable and quick car which i just took to the first round of our state interclub series and took the win in 4wd stock, there were almost 40 entrants in the class and some seriously tough competion, i qualified second, missed out on tq by 0.05 of a second then had some very consistant and solid runs in the finals to give me the win overall, the car didnt miss a beat all weekend
Is that you Mikey
if it is, you're not only a track whore but a forum whore as well
p.s leave these poor pommies alone
see ya Sunday