Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-02-2015

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

I've just been caught out with this, paid for a "in good working order" 1S speed control for my supastox and it's not working.

Wish I had paid the fees and I would have got my money back. I can only hope now.

Old 09-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
I`d agree with what youre saying if Paypal gave careful consideration to each dispute but the fact remains that certainly as far as eBay is concerned, they dont
And here is the easy to make but large misunderstanding most people make:-

eBay and PayPal are actually different companies, run separately, with different buyer/seller protection agreements.

Your buyer raised an eBay claim, not a PayPal one. The fees paid on PayPal are for their protection policy, not ebay's.

ebay's policies only applies to what is sold through their online market place.

PayPal's policies apply to all transactions made through their systems for goods, regardless of the website used.

So in fact, like many others, you have decided to forego the protection provide by PayPal for all transactions made on any website or forum because of a decision made by ebay.

This would be the same as saying "I was done over by the market inspector in Covent Garden market when I traded there, so I am never going to use my HSBC bank account to accept payments ever again, even when I'm selling at Blackbush or Camden markets."

eBay's, the market inspector/owner of WHERE you sell, decision should not have any bearing on your choice of using PayPal as a payment transaction, HOW you accept payments off your customer.

If you don't ask, you'll never know!

Last edited by FrogPrince82; 09-02-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2015
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Funny thing is, depends what or who your name is on here, to who gets there for sale threads deleted. There is for sales on there now without pictures yet have not been deleted. I struggled with 1 upload on 1 of my for sales and it was instantly deleted. Which in the case of the rules is fine, but rules should apply to everyone not individuals.
I think it's a case of when col gets time to go through everything rather than who it is mark.
As with everybody else he has a day job and dosbt have the time to be constantly on here but when he spots them they get deleted.
So say if you posted an add in the morning and col didn't get chance to come on till the evening right after another one was posted with no pics they both get deleted at the same time.
Old 09-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I thought that matey, but there are threads removed after certain pages where those arent and still for sale with no pictures just stating email me for pictures.... .........

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 09-02-2015
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
I thought that matey, but there are threads removed after certain pages where those arent and still for sale with no pictures just stating email me for pictures.... .........
if you spot any of these that I miss, please let me know. This was much simpler when there was a report post button, but we work with what is available to us.
FYI Tricky Dicky Taylor (RC legend) has just had all his ads deleted as they didn't even attempt to follow the rules...
Old 09-02-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
if you spot any of these that I miss, please let me know. This was much simpler when there was a report post button, but we work with what is available to us.
FYI Tricky Dicky Taylor (RC legend) has just had all his ads deleted as they didn't even attempt to follow the rules...
FYI its not Richards RC legends. You have posts 5 days old with no pictures still for sale not deleted, yet posts 1-2 days old deleted and strikes.

Nothing to do with Richards Col.

**** 5 Metres Speed Swimming Champion 1976****
Old 09-02-2015
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Link?
Old 09-02-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
I always say that fees are an option for the buyer, when ever I get anything from someone I don't know even if they have good feedback. I always pay the fees as they protect me as the buyer so I don't see why they should pay for something that will protect me?
The seller isn't paying anything extra, if the PayPal fees are added on to their asking price then it makes for a more comfortable sale as the buyer is protected and the seller still gets their original asking price. It just bugs me when I see someone with no feedback and on their 1st or 2nd post are asking for the likes of £150 to be sent as a gift. If more people were to read ALL the rules and guidance notes Col has provided then it would make things a lot smoother.
Old 10-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPrince82 View Post
And here is the easy to make but large misunderstanding most people make:-

eBay and PayPal are actually different companies, run separately, with different buyer/seller protection agreements.

Your buyer raised an eBay claim, not a PayPal one. The fees paid on PayPal are for their protection policy, not ebay's.

ebay's policies only applies to what is sold through their online market place.

PayPal's policies apply to all transactions made through their systems for goods, regardless of the website used.

So in fact, like many others, you have decided to forego the protection provide by PayPal for all transactions made on any website or forum because of a decision made by ebay.

This would be the same as saying "I was done over by the market inspector in Covent Garden market when I traded there, so I am never going to use my HSBC bank account to accept payments ever again, even when I'm selling at Blackbush or Camden markets."

eBay's, the market inspector/owner of WHERE you sell, decision should not have any bearing on your choice of using PayPal as a payment transaction, HOW you accept payments off your customer.
Same group.

Your analogy isn't valid I'm afraid.

http://www.ebayinc.com/who_we_are/one_company
Old 10-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by justleanitupabit View Post
Same group.

Your analogy isn't valid I'm afraid.

http://www.ebayinc.com/who_we_are/one_company
Same umbrella group, although this is due to change soon as widely publicised, so analogy still stands. Especially as part of the reason for the split is a business decision based from the fact that the two companies have very different requirements of their customers which they've learnt don't allign well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...from-eBay.html

They are run, by law, as two completely separate entities on the ground level, the only cross over is at the board and senior, senior, management level. This is why they have different user agreements, different protection agreement terms and different fees. Try phoning up PayPal and giving them your eBay ID, see how far you get???

I am simply speaking as someone who works within PayPal and hears hundreds of claims a week going through the office, disputes raised by buyers and sellers. As well as the ones who incorrectly contact PayPal to discuss a claim raised through ebay.

All I'm trying to do is help educate people about common and widely held misconceptions along with the fact that a bad experience with eBay should not impact your decision to use PayPal. Reverse the analogy, if you were unhappy with Ford Credit (the finacial credit provider for Ford Motors) when you bought a focus would that lead you to not buy an Aston Martin (if this was your dream Car) if you won the lottery?

People believe they are "protected" if they are sellers by using PayPal gift, but this is very wrong. The buyer can claim a Charge Back, with their bank who provide their debit card funding the gift payment, and the bank will ask fewer questions of the seller and will be much more inclined to side with the buyer (as lets remember the buyer is their customer, the seller most likely isn't) and the seller will lose their money without any requirement for the buyer to return the item so you lose that too. PayPal will protect you against this as a seller if not using gift so this is why I recommend never using gift as a buyer or a seller.

I will also state, before anyone says anything, although I work within PayPal none of the fees paid to them goes towards my salary as I'm not on their direct payroll, so I don't need your use of it to keep in a job!

Last edited by FrogPrince82; 10-02-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2015

Sorry Pal but the fact that you are bound by eBay requirements to also have a PayPal account means that the two are inextricably linked - that you have to abide by both sets of standards to use eBay means for all intents and purposes you are dealing with one entity.

Don't get me wrong I have used PayPal for years and think it can be a very useful medium and has made normal banking sit up and take notice but there is no doubt that they are closely related and have influence over each other. I say this as someone with approaching 20 years experience of the Regulation of financial markets.
Old 10-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by justleanitupabit View Post
Sorry Pal but the fact that you are bound by eBay requirements to also have a PayPal account means that the two are inextricably linked - that you have to abide by both sets of standards to use eBay means for all intents and purposes you are dealing with one entity.

Don't get me wrong I have used PayPal for years and think it can be a very useful medium and has made normal banking sit up and take notice but there is no doubt that they are closely related and have influence over each other. I say this as someone with approaching 20 years experience of the Regulation of financial markets.
Right, so eBay is currently linked to PayPal as a requirement to use eBay, but that doesn't concern forums like oople.

My whole point, as the thread is about oople's for sale section, is that because you are buying and selling on oople, eBay has no influence. The buyer and seller are protected by PayPal's protection, it is in no way connected to ebay's requirements if the item was not sold on eBay.

Simply - why leave yourself with no protection for your transaction on oople because of a crap experience with eBay!

If the transaction is through PayPal on an advert in oople's for sale section then I could not call eBay to open a claim or dispute, I would have to call PayPal. This is why I pointed out that the requirements and companies are different and so this is why paying as gift on PayPal for something advertised on oople is dangerous and reckless for both the buyer and seller.