Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Academy

Old 23-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx4-nutter View Post
i would reccomend some good cells to get the most out of the motor and run time ..

hope this has been of some kind of help ?

will you be having a go at some racing shortly ?

Garry
Yay. All been a help. Got 2 NimH's, 3300mAH & 4000mAH already, but the Mtroniks Pro Vision ate them pretty quick anyway. Plan to get a couple more to add to the collection.

Have settled for sticking a standard "silver can" motor from a Max4 buggy in the SB Sport for the time being. Will see how slow it is when I next get a chance to use it.

Not sure about club racing meets yet. Think I should learn to drive safely first, as I'm sure people might get upset if I accidently ram their valuable buggies at high speed. Got a couple of mates with buggies as well, so happy racing round some cones and ropes for the time being.

Cheers

Steve
Old 23-08-2007
Banned

not really arguing, i just overreacted when he said that i didn't know what i what i was talking about when he didn't realise that i did. Also, the diff balls might need replacing... ...Heck, just maybe even buy a whole associated diff! I don't know if it will fit, but if you have money to spend and alot of diff shims i would try it. Especially the tc3 front one way. You can do the steering mod very easily. (reposition the ball cups on the steering links.) Andif you can find them, aluminum steering links would be great, b/c they flex ALOT! Have fun with your new rc!
Old 24-08-2007

Couple more questions - anyone know where best to get academy spares in the UK? Looks like I'm going to need to replace the diff outdrives pretty soon. Just somewhere I can buy those would be handy.

Also on the subject of the diff outdrives - I gather the fault here lies with the pins on the dogbone, not a fault with soft outdrives? Can better dogbones from another car be fitted? or is replacing the pins with a bit of stainless bar definately the way forward?

Also an exploded diagram, with part numbers or something might be handy, if this sort of thing is available. Trouble is, to me alot of the item descriptons for RC car spares don't mean alot.

Cheers again

Steve
Old 24-08-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

The outdrives are soft, not butter soft, but not as hard as they could be, and then to compound this, the ball on the dogbone is to small, so it rattles in the outdirve and rather then the side of the drive pin contacting the slot in the outdrive to give drive, the dogbone drops and the top edge of the pin contacts the slot in the outdrive and munchies it's way through, so a longer pin (I think it was 13mm or 14mm) seriously reduces wear.

Any Horizon Hobby stockist will have access.

If you PM me your email adress, I will email you a pdf for the manual.
Old 24-08-2007
Banned

don't ever use ultimate hobbies. they don't stock academy anymore. i have no idea about the dogbones, but if you can find some that are the same length, they might work. If you want to replace the pins, it would probably help to heat the 'bones till they are red hot, stick em in something, (just don't pinch them) and whack the crap out of it with a hammer and nail punch.
Old 27-08-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerboy View Post
that's what i want to do when i get a 4wd buggy, just with stadium truck tires, and an st body so i can have the worlds first 4wd electric 1/10 stadium truck.

yokomo did a MR4-BC truck ? lol 4wd with big wheels and tyres on it ...
Old 27-08-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelrash View Post
Yay. All been a help. Got 2 NimH's, 3300mAH & 4000mAH already, but the Mtroniks Pro Vision ate them pretty quick anyway. Plan to get a couple more to add to the collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelrash View Post

Have settled for sticking a standard "silver can" motor from a Max4 buggy in the SB Sport for the time being. Will see how slow it is when I next get a chance to use it.

Not sure about club racing meets yet. Think I should learn to drive safely first, as I'm sure people might get upset if I accidently ram their valuable buggies at high speed. Got a couple of mates with buggies as well, so happy racing round some cones and ropes for the time being.

Cheers

Steve

Glad to be of some help there steve !
Old 27-08-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mattym0310

wot kinda area do you live mate?? cos i have a huge lot of academy spares but they are really too big to post. if your interested??

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 27-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattym0310 View Post
wot kinda area do you live mate?? cos i have a huge lot of academy spares but they are really too big to post. if your interested??
I'm definately interested. I'm in Somerset, UK. Bit of a trek, but will PM you.

Cheers

Steve
Old 27-08-2007
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerboy View Post
just maybe even buy a whole associated diff! I don't know if it will fit, !