Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 05-02-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed
Default New Paint: BK2 & XX4we

So the sun peaked out for the first time today since like October, and it gave me a few minutes to snap a few shots of the completed BK2 body. It is the same paint scheme I ran the last time I raced off road in '91 or so on a JRXpro. I seem to have forgotten how difficult and time consuming this paint job was; I remembered why I haven't run it again.

The paint is a combination of SpazStix hard anodized Deep Red (candy) with Parma Faskolor red, using Pactra Candy Yellow for the pinstripes, backed with Parma Pearl Silver and Sprint White. It took probably a good three evenings and a few hours of detailing to get it finished. I'm seriously debating on not duplicating the scheme on the XX4 or simplifying it a LOT.

I'm thrilled with the results. Now waiting for the summer outdoor season to get here is going to be that much more difficult! Oh yeah, you get to see 'merican-made oOple decals, too.

doug

Last edited by ApexSpeed; 14-05-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

thats very nice, i like it!
Old 05-02-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

oh, and do the same on the xx4, as hard as it might be its nice to have matching cars, stick it out and do a nice job!
Old 05-02-2006

Send a message via MSN to darryl

that is how you americans say awesome,well impressed with that
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 05-02-2006

That’s “totally rad dude”... lol and in a UK style its “proper job”... love it, that's a quality paint job!
Old 05-02-2006

Send a message via MSN to Will Olpin

That is sweet! Im liking that alot

RDX

Soon to be a 4WD...Which one im not sure :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ogo-text03.jpg
Old 06-02-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'll probably take the time and do the XX4 the same way, too. I still have plenty of time before summer gets here.

doug
Old 07-02-2006

Send a message via MSN to darryl

doug
just had a look at more pics of your cars on losi bk2 forum,is your xxx new or is it always kept that immaculate,nice pictures though,wish my xxx looked as clean and tidy as yours
darryl
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 07-02-2006

It's brand new, but all of my cars are always kept that immaculate, regardless. I'm kinda sick that way. Another reason nitro cars made me so crazy.
Old 07-02-2006
Administrator

My b4 hasn't been cleaned for a very long time, everything on it is shocking.. people think im running a super motor but actually the gearbox is utterly knackered.
there is so much slop and wear and dirt. But, it goes really well so i dont want to clean it, I might wash off the luck.
Old 07-02-2006

I use these silly little toys as a way to turn off my brain from the regular world. I don't watch TV hardly ever, but I take as many opportunities to sit in the shop to just rearrange the work bench. I call it therapy. It lets me not focus on my problems with clients at work, or national politics that I have no control over, and sometimes lets me escape my wife when she's in one of her "moods."

If I didn't have toy cars to take apart, clean, polish and reassemble many times, I'd have too many nervous ticks to analyze. So my cars tend to look a little anal retentive.

d
Old 10-02-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

That would be one week in four then, hiding from the misses.... I have the luxury of not having that problem... just getting the darn kids off to bed so I can play or paint... been painting mostly recently though...
Old 10-02-2006
Administrator

You guys have way more patience than me, I sorta like painting the shells but I also find it a bit frustrating, If i had constant undo's like with photoshop I'd be happier about it.
I am one of these impatient ones who doesnt like all the setup work (designing and masking) I just like the actual painting..
Old 19-05-2006

Finished the XXXT last night... ready for the track tonight. wOOt!

Old 19-05-2006

What tape do you use for the pinstriping Doug?
Old 19-05-2006

When I use pinstriping tape, I only will use 3M automotive striping tape. I have been using it as long as I can remember, and as long as I remember to burning everything down (I forgot to last night and made a mess on this one), it's fantastic tape. This was exclusively 1/16" 3M striping tape.
Old 19-05-2006

is there an online supplier, I have tried a few and not been happy with it, got some that SHOULD do 10mm radius curves but it don't grrrr
Old 19-05-2006

Not sure about a Euro source, but they carry it at auto paint supply places like http://www.autobodysupply.net. I get mine at auto paint supply stores or any auto parts store that carries any painting or bodywork supplies.
Old 19-05-2006

another great job on those shells, however i really like you design for the XX4, its very simple yet very striking. in fact im glad your thinking of doing your new design for the 4wd as i wanted to do the XX4 design in my colours! ha ha.

i think having white on a shell is very cool but to get it so its perfectly white with no blemishes makes it top class.

really well done!
Old 19-05-2006

Thumbs up

Thanks Matt. I like white, too. My real GTI is white and I wouldn't have it any other way. Not enough pure uses of white in racing paint, in my opinion.

I'm a big vocal proponent of anti-Hara paint jobs, whenever possible. I like counter-culture car stuff, so my paint style won't ever be anything but that. I like the looks of the XX4, too. I was surprised at how it turned out considering how fast I did it. I have some other really cool masking ideas that I almost tried on this truck body, but bailed on them at the last minute. I'll have to save that for another body.