Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 05-08-2010

Mark, IC can only run on the outdoor track and our usage is related to the indoor one, and we can't run IC indoors...

So that means no...
Old 05-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Ah ok thought u may take the outdoor track on over summer months. To host nationals etc.
Old 05-08-2010

Double post
Old 05-08-2010

the venue does look awsome and if you race the classes it caters for i would get there and race on it as soon as you can

it looks to me that to sustain the running of this place is going to cost a small fortune and in these difficult times and the prices of some of the membership packages ?

alas we are only model car racers with limited budgets so as soon as some racing team come along with millions to spend well who knows

and the other thing is meetings on full size race days.

would you want this, all the traffic hassle and the yellow jacket brigade.
have you got a pass for that area another one for that and you`ll have to park 3 miles away if theres anything remoteley more intresting than model cars happening

just my thoughts

always the optomist

may of been said before but have`nt read all 180 posts
Old 05-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky View Post
the venue does look awsome and if you race the classes it caters for i would get there and race on it as soon as you can

it looks to me that to sustain the running of this place is going to cost a small fortune and in these difficult times and the prices of some of the membership packages ?

alas we are only model car racers with limited budgets so as soon as some racing team come along with millions to spend well who knows

and the other thing is meetings on full size race days.

would you want this, all the traffic hassle and the yellow jacket brigade.
have you got a pass for that area another one for that and you`ll have to park 3 miles away if theres anything remoteley more intresting than model cars happening

just my thoughts

always the optomist

may of been said before but have`nt read all 180 posts
It has been said a few times throughout this topic, there will be no racing when f1, btcc, motogp, wsb are on, and they have their own parking spaces for the venue anyway
Old 05-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
It has been said a few times throughout this topic, there will be no racing when f1, btcc, motogp, wsb are on, and they have their own parking spaces for the venue anyway
The open day 22nd August is the same day as the BTCC at the circuit
Old 05-08-2010

Some more pics up on Neo Buggy.

Old 07-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Burr View Post
The problem is places like Ardent and Moto arena have totally diferent goals to model car clubs, they are first and formost businesses and have to make money, the moment they stop making money they no longer exist.
Ardent was the vision of one person who wanted to grow the sport and have somewhere to test and play and race fellow racers. It was then a group of enthusiasts and a local club that created it. 1 person paid for it (me). It was never intended to turn a profit as we all have day jobs (which is why we all have 'volunteer' on our polo shirts) and it probably never will turn a profit. It was done as a hobby not a money making machine.

I wish Moto Arena all the best but I'd wished they had done it on a bit more of a budget to ensure it's a sustainable business. I bet the custom built rostrum steps and track barriers cost more than it cost us to build the entire Ardent Raceway.

Yes we have 4 goats that wonder the car park and a cat that has set up home in the Raceway, not as professional as Moto Arena but that's what you get for your money and most of our racers can only just afford the petrol to get to Ardent let alone pay for expensive racing and the moans we get about charging 70p for a tea or coffee :-)

When we created Ardent we wanted to ensure that it was sustainable so we didn't destroy Derby Club, suck money out of the RC industry through sponsorships and then go tits up, and put other people of doing this type of venture. If you sit down and do the numbers they have to get hundreds through the door per week to keep the lights on. Unless they got the facility for free as part of a develop Silverstone venture?

Happy racing all, wherever you end up
Old 07-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
You will need to qualify on the Mini-Z tracks to get a pass for the bigger stuff,
that and drivers will be properly tutored
Couple of points on that, 1) I can't see Moto Arena turning away revenue from people using the bigger tracks 2) it wouldn't make for a fun day out if your child gets told no! 3) and if you have to pay to use the track then everyone has a legal right to use it unless it could harm or kill them. Such as motorsport or flying.

Just a thought. Agree it's the best thing to do but don't think it can be done.
Old 07-08-2010
Mad Member

The idea is that a new guy who turns up must prove himself on the begginer track first.

It was to be a small 1/10th track but due to space it seems that will now be a small mini-z track made on a raised platform with prima felt carpet surface.

I think this is a great Idea, No marshalling needed and a chance to learn how to use an RC car for the first time.

You really dont want Little Johhny for the first time on a big track smashing into other drivers.

It is also something for him to aim for and get his driving standard up before he mixes it with racers of a better standard.

There's lots to prove yet.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 07-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
Ardent was the vision of one person who wanted to grow the sport and have somewhere to test and play and race fellow racers. It was then a group of enthusiasts and a local club that created it. 1 person paid for it (me). It was never intended to turn a profit as we all have day jobs (which is why we all have 'volunteer' on our polo shirts) and it probably never will turn a profit. It was done as a hobby not a money making machine.

Happy racing all, wherever you end up
I wish we had more people like you

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 07-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
I wish we had more people like you
Thanks Neil, actually it's having a wife that let's you spend the savings :-)
Old 07-08-2010
Mad Member

This isn't an RC business, it is an entertainment business based on modeling. As well as the full-size car and bike simulators (Which probably cost a few bob to use) they offer...

A world-class outdoor competition track for RC circuit racing
The world’s largest permanent indoor RC model track
A ‘rock and rubble canyon’ and dedicated ‘green lane’ track for the ultimate RC off-road experience
World War Two diorama (mini landscape) for tank battles
Dedicated RC helicopter and aviation zones
Replica Formula 1, WRC, Superbike and dune buggy simulators
The world‘s largest 8-lane slot car racing track

...all of which will be charged. I have no idea if it will survive, but let's not kid ourselves that it can be judged on whether a few RC enthusiasts turn up and race a few classes. There is a lot of different things for people to do, and if they've chosen the themes correctly, then it will attract people from all walks of the modeling life.
Old 08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
This isn't an RC business, it is an entertainment business based on modeling. As well as the full-size car and bike simulators (Which probably cost a few bob to use) they offer...
Their forecast is 200,000 paying visitors per year, which divided by 352 is 568 per day, 7 days per week, 52 weeks a year.

That's going to be one busy place but I think that's achievable. Ardent get on average 18 per day. So simulators, scalextric, tanks, buggy tracks and corporate events etc.. will easily bring in the other 550.

See:
http://moto-arena.org/commercial/partnerships
Old 08-08-2010

Would anybody who attended the MKRCTC meeting today care to give us some info, please?
i.e. Track size, grip levels, tyre choice... etc.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-2010

taken off thier site

MA TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP PRACTICE/QUALIFY (Saturday14th August 2010)MA TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP RACE (Sunday 15th August 2010)

MA TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP, 1/10 BRCA NITRO Rules, Track 1, see booking details for entrants and rules, massive prizes.

so i asked
ok less than 5 days to this event, i have seen no adverts, no where to book in, no contact with the BRCA section to get drivers there or informed, so....

what is happening, do you expect drivers to just turn up? where are the booking details and entrants listed?

so much for not being open to the public till the 20th!!
as vice chairman of the 10th ic section i have heard nothing about this, where i could have musted 50 plus drivers, not a hope in hell now with 5 days to go!
Old 08-08-2010

Quick recap on today's shakedown...

From a "track PoV", grip came up nicely by the end of the day, but was low to start.

Mini's seems fine on pretty much any tyre
TC's seemed best on 28's, but a couple of different types gave varying results so a bit more needed to work on an ideal tyre.
WGT I managed to capitalise on a rare mistake by Jason Butterfield and took a win running (borrowed from JB) cream fronts and white rears.

The fedback from drivers has been good - some tweaking around the edges still needed, but we know what needs to be done over the next couple of weeks.

The 22nd is gonna be awesome!
Old 09-08-2010

Thanks for that, Dave. Sounds good.

Do you know if the MA will be open on the 21st for viewing?

Cheers!
Old 09-08-2010

I belive MA will be open on the 21st for a viewing and "arrive and drive" should be available, but I have no idea of costs or how it works...
Old 12-08-2010

Went over track the other day as I work on silverstone. Can anyone from motor arena confirm that the outdoor track pit lane is being changed? As at the moment by the looks of things it is faster to go through the pits than round the track.. You can fuel and not loose any time :/ and it looks very narrow for large scale?

Plus just a little not to silverstone buggy club. After seeing the offroad track at moto arena I don't think you will loose any people as the track looks more of a show/ display track. Would be no good for racing.