Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Honda Civic Type-R Detailed

PART1

I spent all day Saturday on my friend Phil's Honda Civic Type-R... I've never really seen one up close but it's a seriously nice car - i liked the old Civic but the newer model is just rather different, the interior is superb. It wasn't exactly untidy but he wanted that nice deep wet look that you only get with a decent machine polish.

I started out with the usual snow foam (i4detailing).

While the Snow foam was left to dwell, i went round the whole car with some Autosmart G101 (9:1) and a detailing brush on the usual badges, grills, vents, door shuts, fuel cap etc

I then rinsed the whole car off, and started on the wheel arches with some G101 and a stiff scrubbing brush then i went on to the wheels using AB Very Cherry, it was sprayed on and left for a minute before scrubbing with various brushes

Ready to be rinsed off

After the wheels were all done, i clayed the entire car with some CYC Blue clay and some Zip wax shampoo mixed up with water as lube

After this i then snow foamed the whole car, rinsed off and dried with various drying towels and some Meguiars last touch.

I taped the whole car up ready for polishing

Next up was to start polishing. I started out with a 3M yellow pad, and some Meguiars 83 cutting polish / cleaner.

It straight away seemed to be working well, so i decided to do half the bonnet and then refined using some PO106FA on a 3M Blue finishing pad.

Here's some 50/50 shots - I believe the bonnet has been resprayed possibly to remove some heavy stone chips as it was almost flat, even after polishing - almost a but of orange peel but the rest of the car was perfect

I carried on round the whole car but didn't take any more photo's of the polishing stage as i didn't want to run out of light.

Passenger side after polishing

After finishing it off, i removed all tape and gave a quick snow foam to remove all polish dust

The Wax i went with for the finish was Dodo Juice Orange Crush

Wax left to cure

Buffing cloth was a Eurow Riley plush one from CYC - These are a great buy as a pack of 10 and highly recommended!

Exhausts weren't terrible but a fair bit of dirt:

This was cleaned up with some 00 Gauge wire wool and Autosol Metal Polish, then wiped down with a MF cloth

Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

PART2

The whole car was buffed off, all Tyres were dressed with Meg's endurance tyre gel and the plastic trim & rubber treated with Meguiars trim detailer.

Glass was cleaned with some Autosmart 20/20 Crystal

Here's the final pics anyway

Old 15-11-2010

Very nice..
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I love these threads, keep em coming Nick

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 15-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
I love these threads, keep em coming Nick
Me too

Nice EP3... I love the interiors in these too! Its amazing how swirly the paint had got in only 3 years!

It must be interesting washing/detailing so many different cars, they all have their own little design details, things you like or dislike etc

I love the snow foam bit & I've got to get myself a decent drying towel - i've always chamoised my cars down with a leather but I guess this is not ideal for the paintwork?
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Me too

Nice EP3... I love the interiors in these too! Its amazing how swirly the paint had got in only 3 years!

It must be interesting washing/detailing so many different cars, they all have their own little design details, things you like or dislike etc

I love the snow foam bit & I've got to get myself a decent drying towel - i've always chamoised my cars down with a leather but I guess this is not ideal for the paintwork?
Thanks people, i know a lot of people couldn't care less but my thoughts are they simply won't click to read it so glad some of you enjoy it ;-)

The car came up lovely though, love the interior on it - the dash is amazing!

Chamois is definitely not a good product these days, it's not too bad if the car and Chamois are completely (and i mean 100% clean) but that's rarely the case.... The big fluffy drying towels are perfect as they absorb so much water and don't even need to be rung out - They just soak it up and as they have a nice deep pile they don't let any dirt get rubbed around the surface of the paint. It's a similar idea to the difference between a nice wash mitt Vs a sponge - The sponge doesn't absorb any dirt so tends to just push it around the surface which is where the swirls come from in the first place.
Old 15-11-2010
Mad Member

Nick - fancy trying your skills on some German paint?
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattADH View Post
Haha i have done a few German cars but always happy to do another :-)

Steve Brooke wants me to do his Octavia too so must make some arrangements, as far as i know i am now free on the 27-28th November and also the 4-5th December if that works?

Give me a shout if you want anyway, nickgdetailing@gmail.com
Old 15-11-2010
Mad Member

Looking forward to seeing your work on Steve's yellow one - will look good on Detailing World.

Is Steve coming to you or are you going there (and when)?
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing your work on Steve's yellow one - will look good on Detailing World.

Is Steve coming to you or are you going there (and when)?
I haven't made any plans with him yet but he was going to get it down to me as i can't really lug all my stuff up that way as i need to be able to have a garage and stuff really....

Ideally i need to find myself a nice bit of garage space i can rent off someone or something, would be great to have space to get round the whole car comfortably...
Old 15-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
My thoughts too, but from the other stable. Yellow Seat Leon Cupra!
Old 15-11-2010

Nick,

Ive got some German paint that needs sorting Can you get rid of factory orange peal finish?
Old 15-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
Thanks people, i know a lot of people couldn't care less but my thoughts are they simply won't click to read it so glad some of you enjoy it ;-)

The car came up lovely though, love the interior on it - the dash is amazing!

Chamois is definitely not a good product these days, it's not too bad if the car and Chamois are completely (and i mean 100% clean) but that's rarely the case.... The big fluffy drying towels are perfect as they absorb so much water and don't even need to be rung out - They just soak it up and as they have a nice deep pile they don't let any dirt get rubbed around the surface of the paint. It's a similar idea to the difference between a nice wash mitt Vs a sponge - The sponge doesn't absorb any dirt so tends to just push it around the surface which is where the swirls come from in the first place.
Thanks for the advice Nick, is there a particular 'fluffy towel' that you would recommend??
Old 15-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcKnight View Post
Nick,

Ive got some German paint that needs sorting Can you get rid of factory orange peal finish?
That wouldn't be a M3 would it?? I need a better job!
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Nick, is there a particular 'fluffy towel' that you would recommend??
Hi mate,

Yeah the one that i'm getting on really well with is this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microf.../prod_634.html

I've been using them for months and not had a problem - completely machine washable too so nice and easy to look after
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcKnight View Post
Nick,

Hey Marc,

I haven't got into wet sanding yet but i believe that's all you can do about orange peel, i can improve it but not get rid of it to the point you'd say it was gone - I have got some kit to start practising wet sanding but obviously it will take a while before i'd want to try it on anyone elses car let alone something rather nice

I'll let you know once i'm going down that route though!
Old 15-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
Hi mate,

Yeah the one that i'm getting on really well with is this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microf.../prod_634.html

I've been using them for months and not had a problem - completely machine washable too so nice and easy to look after
Cool - thanks for that.... something I can put on my Christmas list!

That PolishedBliss site you directed me to before, offered only one type, the one in your link above is cheaper too
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Cool - thanks for that.... something I can put on my Christmas list!

That PolishedBliss site you directed me to before, offered only one type, the one in your link above is cheaper too
I've just had a quick look and it's cheaper here actually:

http://shop.autobritedirect.co.uk/dr...owels-18-c.asp
Old 15-11-2010
Mad Member

My brother has been helping out my friend Paul Dalton (www.miracledetail.co.uk) recently. Have got some stuff from him but otherwise I would suggest www.monzacarcare.com who always have some good offers on
Old 15-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
My brother has been helping out my friend Paul Dalton (www.miracledetail.co.uk) recently. Have got some stuff from him but otherwise I would suggest www.monzacarcare.com who always have some good offers on
Haha i had no idea Paul Dalton was your mate - is that the guy we spoke about at that Top Gear day??

That guy is a legend - He's practically a GOD!!!! Awesome stuff, i've never seen anyone do such impressive cars as he does!! Let me know if he ever wants a trainee to take on