Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 07-03-2013
Mad Member

500yds to work 3 ,min walk 90 secs on me bike

never used my car for work in ten years

I am very lucky and realise it too

missus drives megane scenic 1.6 petrol round town school runs etc
manage to eke out £25 quid a week usually excluding trips out

luckily my local rc club is at the school which backs on to my garden so once again im extremeley fortunate

i count my blessings in compared to some of our fellow ooplers

regards fid
Old 07-03-2013

Car sharing is the future guys and gals! Been doing it for years as the fuel prices started going up. Saves me about £150 a month!!!
Old 07-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Read the website fella.
And learn what? Don't get your comment. Happy to go around it again, but still can't see why any politician would take any notice of this as Wilson has very few 'followers'.
Old 07-03-2013
Mad Member

He is the one that got the 3p stopped earlier this year.

Ateast he is trying something. Britian is fooked any how

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 08-03-2013
Mad Member

No he didn't. He might like to think he did, but the roar from the Tory heartlands and the national press, together with the real force of their financial and industrial donors is what gets things done in Government, not one person with a website.

Just look at all the electronic petitions that are supposed to be debated in Parliament if they get more than 100,000 signatures and are simply dismissed or ignored. The governing party will listen to the people who pay for their party. If you want to know who they listen to in the Tory party, check this:

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com...-tory-funding/

...and not a Quentin Wilson in sight! All the donors want an economy that booms, and not one that takes all our money in tax. If you want to know why any Government does most things, follow the(ir) money.

Just paid £1.46 per litre, and it will just go up more from there. That little tin can with a three cylinder diesel made in Korea is looking more appealing by the mile!!
Old 08-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
No he didn't. He might like to think he did, but the roar from the Tory heartlands and the national press, together with the real force of their financial and industrial donors is what gets things done in Government, not one person with a website.

Just look at all the electronic petitions that are supposed to be debated in Parliament if they get more than 100,000 signatures and are simply dismissed or ignored. The governing party will listen to the people who pay for their party. If you want to know who they listen to in the Tory party, check this:

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com...-tory-funding/

...and not a Quentin Wilson in sight! All the donors want an economy that booms, and not one that takes all our money in tax. If you want to know why any Government does most things, follow the(ir) money.

Just paid £1.46 per litre, and it will just go up more from there. That little tin can with a three cylinder diesel made in Korea is looking more appealing by the mile!!
ok ........

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 08-03-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What with the tories looking at road tolls and private companies to run them and the rising costs of fuel it looks like the rich tories. When tourism within this island decreases because people cant afford to spend the weekend or even day away maybe this will bite them where it hurts.
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
What with the tories looking at road tolls and private companies to run them and the rising costs of fuel it looks like the rich tories. When tourism within this island decreases because people cant afford to spend the weekend or even day away maybe this will bite them where it hurts.
It already has, they lost 60 million in fuel duty in december,compaired to last yr, due to less ltrs being sold most likey due to fuel prices. Fuel is they key to the economy

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
It already has, they lost 60 million in fuel duty in december,compaired to last yr, due to less ltrs being sold most likey due to fuel prices. Fuel is they key to the economy
Sorry to let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Fuel Duty is but £30bn of a £600bn total for Government spending. Income tax on the other hand is £180bn. Add in VAT (£100bn) and National insurance (another £100bn) and our wages and spending contribute £380bn of the total. It is far more important to keep the 40% threshold for paying tax where it is (to trap more people into paying more income tax) and lower the NI thresholds for employees and companies get more there. More details here...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...-receipts-1963

...that show that projected increases in income tax, VAT and NI are forecast, but almost no increase in fuel duty overall.

What's more interesting is that it is Tory Governments that take the largest percentage of GDP in tax (the more we earn as a nation, the more they take) than Labour. The same thing applies to company profits - they make more profit during Labour administrations than Tory. And the worst offender at taking more of our earned money (GDP) in tax since 1963? Margaret Thatcher. Yes, the blessed Margaret took more of our money than any other Government since MacMillan in 1963. Mind you, she did lower to top rate of tax for the top 1% of earners from 98% to 40%, it's just that the rest of us ended up paying for that!

It has always amazed me that people who want to pay less tax vote Tory! They are good if you're earning over £100k a year, but that level applies to 400,000 people. 10.7m people voted Tory and by those numbers 10.3m of them have been screwed on income tax, VAT and NI! Over 15m people earn between £15k and £50k, so you can see that leaving the 40% threshold at £34k in 2011 reducing to £32k in 2013/14 is an excellent way of raising taxes. When Labour were in it was £40k!

If you earn more that £50k you are in the top 5% of earners in the UK. The 54 billionaires in this country pay a total of about £14m in tax, of which James Dyson (£9m) and JK Rowling pay 90% of that amount. (Note that despite taking their production to Malaysia, Dyson pay 80% of their profit taxes in the UK.)

So fuel is not the key to the economy. There are plenty more things to get cross about, like the creeping 40% rate and the failure to make billionaires pay proper tax amounts - both made worse since 2010 by the Tories. We'll all have the chance to vote them out on 2015, won't we?!! Sorry about the facts...
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Sorry to let the facts get in the way of a good story...

Fuel Duty is but £30bn of a £600bn total for Government spending. Income tax on the other hand is £180bn. Add in VAT (£100bn) and National insurance (another £100bn) and our wages and spending contribute £380bn of the total. It is far more important to keep the 40% threshold for paying tax where it is (to trap more people into paying more income tax) and lower the NI thresholds for employees and companies get more there. More details here...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...-receipts-1963

...that show that projected increases in income tax, VAT and NI are forecast, biut almost no increase in fuel duty overall.

What's more interesting is that it is Tory Governments that take the largest percentage of GDP in tax (the more we earn as a nation, the more they take) than Labour. The same thing applies to company profits - they make more profit during Labour administrations than Tory. And the worst offender at taking more of our earned money (GDP) in tax since 1963? Margaret Thatcher. Yes, the blessed Margaret took more of our money than any other Government since MacMillan in 1963. Mind you, she did lower to top rate of tax for the top 1% of earners from 98% to 40%, it's just that the rest of us ended up paying for that!

It has always amazed me that people who want to pay less tax vote Tory! They are good if you're earning over £100k a year, but that level applies to 400,000 people. 10.7m people voted Tory and by those numbers 10.3m of them have been screwed on income tax, VAT and NI! Over 15m people earn between £15k and £50k, so you can see that leaving the 40% threshold at £34k in 2011 reducing to £32k in 2013/14 is an excellent way of raising taxes. When Labour were in it was £40k!

If you earn more that £50k you are in the top 5% of earners in the UK. The 54 billionaires in this country pay a total of about £14m in tax, of which James Dyson (£9m) and JK Rowling pay 90% of that amount. (Note that despite taking their production to Malaysia, Dyson pay 80% of their profit taxes in the UK.)

So fuel is not the key to the economy. There are plenty more things to get cross about, like the creeping 40% rate and the failure to make billionaires pay proper tax amounts - both made worse since 2010 by the Tories. We'll all have the chance to vote them out on 2015, won't we?!! Sorry about the facts...
Agree, but if fuel was cheaper, say £1 a ltr, the normal person would spend more money on shopping, traveling etc because they have more of a disposable income. This therefore would be put back into the economy, therefore growing it quicker. Prices of goods and services would come down, therefore we would all be better off and be able to spend more of our money on the local highstreet, well the ones that havnt gone bust.

Like i said agree with what you said but i think fuel is the main key,unlock this and a quick result will happen, no third/forth/fifth dip in the economy. But to be honest we fooked any way too many none fully british people here.

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Sorry, more facts...

It costs the average (12k miles/annum) driver of the average (Cortina MkIII v Mondeo, both 2.0 litre petrol) car just about £200 more in fuel each year today than it did in 1980. In 1980 the average wage was £6k and today it is £19k. As stated above, more tax was taken out of the economy in the 1980s than today.

In addition, in Jan 2006 Gordon Brown was taking 67.5% of the price of a litre in tax, and by October last year George Osborne stung us for just 57% of a litre price in tax.

In so many ways we have never had more disposable income. Even during the contrived boom years Gordon Brown set up he took more of our GDP in tax and charged us more tax on a litre of fuel. A a nation we owe more than £1trillion in personal debt and we are still paying that down. For the next 50 years we will be paying off the £1trillion the Government has borrowed to bail out the banks, and that will suck even more tax out of us.

Sorry to say that even if the fuel duty went down to 40% (£1/litre), that would only release £8bn into a £900bn economy. Not enough to give anyone anything to relieve the current situation.

I know I am a pain, but the facts and some reasoning don't support the position that Wilson and Co. put out - they are just making publicity. That's my point; people see fuel prices as the fix for everything but in fact it fixes nothing as it is just a flea-bite number in the whole economy. There are so many other things that will conspire to keep the economy as it is for the next ten years that fuel price is just a distraction. Sorry!

PS - the Mrs. just went to fill her car at the same station - gone up 1p a litre since Thursday!
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Ah yes, the "it's all the immigrants' fault" defence.

There are 6m immigrants in the current 29m UK workforce. There are 2.5m people unemployed. Send all the immigrants home and where are we going to find the balance of 3.5m people we need to keep the economy going? Which service are you prepared to go without in order to send them all home? Hospitals? Police? Council services?

And what rules would you have? If it was that your parents weren't born here than that's me as my Mum was born in Lahore (then India) in 1920 while her father (a native Scot) was building the Indian railways working for the GWR. And if that was your rule, where would you send me as I was born and raised here?

If there is a proper, fact-based reasoned argument then it would be worth hearing. No Government or special interest group has ever come up with one. And, to cap it all, this is THE policy of UKIP and they couldn't win a by-election on it against a party that believes in the EU and unfettered immigration!

I wonder if this 'defence' is a majority view? If it is then can I expect that there will be an 80% turnout at the next election and UKIP will be elected by a landslide? No. Because too many people who use that 'defence' can't be arsed to vote. Serves 'em right - you have to be in it to win it!

Sorry, this is all way off topic, I'll get me coat...
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

Its ok fella, we know ur a geek!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 09-03-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

More important than fuel, why am I paying £24 a gallon for beer and can only manage 10 yards pg, its sooooooooo wrong but I cant stop.
Old 09-03-2013
Mad Member

I heard a old saying once

If a dog was born in a stable would you call it a horse?

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
Old 12-03-2013
Mad Member

Pound going down against the dollar. Oil is traded in $$, so stand by for further increases in the fuel prices. Ouch!
Old 12-03-2013

Even though fuel is going up in price. This is good for employment as the oil and gas companies are investing more cash in in extracting more oil from the oil field hence more investment in expensive kit more employment in the UK. Also the exchange rate will make us more competitive on export market and make imports more expensive so there will be more locally sourced goods. Also high fuel prices will stop the housing market from exploding as it will force people to work closer to home. It may be painful but our economy will come out healthier and stronger than before.
Old 12-03-2013

Sainsburys and Asda are reducing their prices by about 4p/litre from tomorrow.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80777