Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 03-10-2009

Default Leaking Diffs

anyone had any issues with leaking diffs?

I have the front leaking oil out of one of the outdrives and the rear is leaking from both outdrives.

Both diffs were about 1/3 full when I opened them up. My conclusion is that perhaps there is dirt in betweek the x-ring and the ourdrive and its causing the seal to leak.

I run on hard packed dirt and this is the second meeting the car has had.

Its concerning as it changes the diff action as the oil leaks out. There is oil all over the wishbones and the plastic outdrive covers.

If anyone has worked out how to get the outdrive gear out, I would apprectiate a procedure. They had to be tapped on so getting them off is going to be a challenge.

Ideas?
Old 03-10-2009
Mad Member

One of my rears weeped a little after its first meeting. I stripped it down, cleaned it out and turned the seal around. The gears came off easily so no probs. I think they free up after some running so dont worry about taking them apart. The leaking seems to have stopped on mine. I'm racing tomorrow so we'll see I spose. Fingers crossed. If you email the team they will help you solve any problems quickly and easily.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 03-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
One of my rears weeped a little after its first meeting. I stripped it down, cleaned it out and turned the seal around. The gears came off easily so no probs. I think they free up after some running so dont worry about taking them apart. The leaking seems to have stopped on mine. I'm racing tomorrow so we'll see I spose. Fingers crossed. If you email the team they will help you solve any problems quickly and easily.
how did you get the gears off the outdrives without scoring them or ruining them?
Old 03-10-2009

hey Ben, i thought mine would have been a chore to get off but i just tapped the outdrive out as far as i could left it on the bench like an upturned cup to drain and the gear just fell off as for the ring gear side 2 flat screw drivers 180degrees apart and just lever the gear off, if any of that makes sense btw wot weight oil are you running?

Peter
Old 03-10-2009

mine have leaked aswell . car felt very different 2day . full strip this week
Old 03-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

If the gear inside the diff is tight, get something long to put on the outdrive, and just gently tap it out. the main gear will obviously stay in the diff.
Simples
Old 03-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

biggest thing i have found in years of using gear diffs is to lube the outdrive seal well with a good grease and settle the seal with a few tiens before fitting washer and pin.
Also over filling will creaate leaks, fill to the top of the pins where they cross, no more.
Old 04-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro72 View Post
hey Ben, i thought mine would have been a chore to get off but i just tapped the outdrive out as far as i could left it on the bench like an upturned cup to drain and the gear just fell off as for the ring gear side 2 flat screw drivers 180degrees apart and just lever the gear off, if any of that makes sense btw wot weight oil are you running?

Peter
I have been running 20000/10000 and I run on med/high grip clay
Old 04-10-2009
Mad Member

Came to strip mine tonight And the gear on the casing side won't come off. Can't get at it to lever it out. My other one dropped off. Need some kind of angled pry lever to pop it off. Not much room tho as the gear sits in a recess.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 04-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Si, can't you do as I mentioned?
Rest the case on something so that the outdrive is hanging, and the get something you can put onto the inner part of the outdrive, and tap it out gently?
Old 04-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
Si, can't you do as I mentioned?
Rest the case on something so that the outdrive is hanging, and the get something you can put onto the inner part of the outdrive, and tap it out gently?
I cant work out how you can do this given the outdrive is held in by a large c-clip?

Are you giving it a hard enough hit and destroying the c-clip also?
Old 05-10-2009
Mad Member

Its as Ben says Tel, the outdrive is held by an "e" clip so you cant punch it through without risk of damage. You need to get the gear off before you can access the outdrive "e" clip. Tricky?

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 05-10-2009

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Leaking Diffs:

As has been mentioned on a couple of threads in this forum there are a number of ways to make sure your diffs stay leak free and seal correctly.

1. Lube the 'X' Ring very well before you put it into the diff housings. I normally let mine soak for a little in some thin diff oil.

2. Put a little grease or AE shock slime in the recess where the 'X' ring sits.

3. Tap the gear (#TD31001) onto the shaft using a soft 'dowel' until it is hard to turn the outdrive. Then lightly tap the hex of the outdrive using the same dowel until the outdrive just starts to move freely.

4. Fill the diff to the top of the shafts only. When you put the crown wheel side of the diff on to the case side, you should just get a little seepage through the 4 holes where the screws go. A lot of seepage and you will be 'pressurising' the diff.
This is when seepage can occur as the pressurised oil tries to get out which is either through or around the bearing. (this is the leakage you will see).

Follow the simple steps and your diff should stay leak free.