Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > East of England

Old 05-06-2013

Default Going to cause trouble this

Marshalling

It has not been the best so far this year

People leaving their posts and no replacement marshal (time wasted for a volunteer)

Looking at the race not the track in front of them.

I'm sorry i'm old school but i was always told "marshal how you would like to be marshalled" This to me means if you see a car/cars starting to crash START MOVING it may not happen but if it does you will be there quicker

What can be done my thoughts are

Reduce time in between heats so people dont have enough time to go back to the pits

Remove your hi viz vest after you have marshalled and wave it at race control so they can issue a penalty if the next race has started.

And my last one could upset some
B finalists to marshall the A finals as this will mean no need for volunteers and will hopefully be more experienced

I'm only trying to make things better for the region

Well thats it my name is now going to be s**t but someone has to say it.

Old 05-06-2013

Thumbs up agree

yep 100%
Old 06-06-2013
oOple Advertiser

Perfect
Old 06-06-2013

Agree compleatley.......
Old 06-06-2013
Mad Member

Don't your B Finalists marshall the A Final Danny?
Old 06-06-2013

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checa View Post
Marshalling

It has not been the best so far this year

People leaving their posts and no replacement marshal (time wasted for a volunteer)

Looking at the race not the track in front of them.

I'm sorry i'm old school but i was always told "marshal how you would like to be marshalled" This to me means if you see a car/cars starting to crash START MOVING it may not happen but if it does you will be there quicker

What can be done my thoughts are

Reduce time in between heats so people dont have enough time to go back to the pits

Remove your hi viz vest after you have marshalled and wave it at race control so they can issue a penalty if the next race has started.

And my last one could upset some
B finalists to marshall the A finals as this will mean no need for volunteers and will hopefully be more experienced

I'm only trying to make things better for the region

Well thats it my name is now going to be s**t but someone has to say it.
This is oviously aimed at all the other racers Dan, because you "never spin or crash?":-)) so will not need marshalling.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 06-06-2013

I would take this more seriously if you didn't shout at a young marshal before your car had stopped rolling.

There are some genuine points about Marshalling. However, Mr Pot, I believe there is a soot covered kettle awaiting a comment about its appearance.
Old 06-06-2013

Marshalling can be bad at most events, but i have the out look that its not the marshalls fault that you spun or crashed, the driver only has himself to blame, so be polite and say thankyou when you have been put back on the track for your mistake, and from personal experience the worst drivers for shouting at marshalls are possibly the worst marshalls themselves.
Old 06-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree in part to this, the quality of some of the marshalling could be better, I did see a couple of cases of people with their back to the part of the track they should be marshalling at he last regional, I also think in some cases the position of the marshall points should be given far more thought, as you build a track you need to think how it will need be marshalled!

But our biggest problem is multi class racers, if you have the 2wd A final straight after the 4wd A and short course you can have 2,3 or 4 people doing both races, thus you need volunteers, now on paper you already have 20 racers busy either marshalling or racing,then you will have some in the pits wanting or needing to work on cars, you have one racer from the last final doing a refereeing stint on the rostrum, so volunteers are starting to get thin on the ground, then when the race is under way they get shouted at.....so they think sod that next time round!

simple answear, if you race more than one class, and it causes a situation were you cannot Marshall the race after yours or the final you need to YOU MUST SUPPLY A MARSHALTO REPLACE YOU,IF YOU CANNOT YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO START YOUR RACE and you will have to marshal. Also the person you supply must be able to do the job, and must be a BRCA member.

And its up to you, not the race director or referee to sort out

Also on the subject we do at some meetings have some very young racers, now Im 110% for this as the young are the future of the hobby, but in one case a young lad who's feet were a good 4inches from the ground when he sat on the seat at his marshal point, was marshalling one of the nastiest and hardest parts of the track and realy should have been swapped to safer position for the sake of safety

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 06-06-2013

I allways try and marshal the best I can and sometimes can take longer to get to a car than maybe someone would expect.
But what I dont like is someone standing on the rostrum shouting and screaming at a marshal as the way I look at it is that if you need a marshal then you are the one that has made the mistake.
The truth is that no one whats to do marshaling but its just something that we need to all do you will never police it fully as some people will stand and talk to others use there phone or even take photos whilst they are marshaling.
Now the only way is to put forward a standard level of marshaling that you would expect to be followed at each meeting and that needs to be enforced by the regional rep or the club running the meeting.,
This still does not elimate all the problems as it was mentioned at the coastal regional that people would have penalties if they did not marshal and these were not enforced I know this as I marshaled more rounds than what I should have done to fill in gaps.
Old 06-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Don't your B Finalists marshall the A Final Danny?
Nope

Old 06-06-2013

I now have no comment

Old 06-06-2013

I now have no comment

Old 06-06-2013

I now have no comment

Old 06-06-2013

Default Common sense

The rostrum should always be a quiet place, swearing especially is out of order, everyone knows that, it's up to your race director to tell/kindly remind the drivers at drivers briefing to marshal your part of the track if its been an issue in the past. This is not rocket science and there's no need to put it on a forum, just like the dms section palaver

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 07-06-2013

I know Colin will be taking in all your points on marshaling and is always at hand if you are not happy with something on race day, just find him and talk to him, and he will do his best to sort the issue out.
Old 07-06-2013

Default marshalling

Prime example of how its meant to be done,go to maritime racing and get a few pointers from a Mr Ian Knight.
His way is the best i have seen of how to run a meeting.
He is blunt and to the point,but everybody knows thats the way it is or go home.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 07-06-2013

Would like to comment but i'm now having no views on anything on forums. All i was trying to do is improve things for future meetings.
The EOE series has moved on a lot since last year and would like that to carry on

Old 07-06-2013

I have marshelled for callum (girlfriends 7 year old) when he has been drawn to marshall on jumps or awkward sections for his saftey ive also fallen foul to bad marshalling this year of which the mistake has been my fault or not my fault on one occasion i was on my roof for over 10 seconds on a 20-30 second lap it hurts your time ..... Haveing raced for 20 odd years ive was always told to marshall as i would like to be marshalled . I have made mistakes and took a 1/8th buggy to the head but over all the classes ive raced ive been blessed with good marshalling ..the eoe mashalling this year has been shocking at times and it needs to be sorted for everyone.
Old 07-06-2013

Seems that the same arguments about marshalling do not go away. I always found that marshalling was the best bit about my race day, I was consistently nimble through the corners, lasted a whole race without breakage and thanks to a sensible choice of footwear had plenty of grip
If someone is gobbing off on the rostrum, hold their car up in the air until they pipe down and learn some manners, simples

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/b4sloth01/