Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 20-09-2008

Default cat sx

why does , it seem that schumacer have,nt still got it right with the cat sx .when to run lipo,s you have to glue bits of plastic to your lipo,s weve all waited long enough for thes kits and still not right. no antiroll bars in kit either for this amount of hard earned cash. you would have expected more tune up parts in kit dodge
Old 20-09-2008

Are you having a laugh? What do you expect to hold the LiPo pack in place? Magic?

The whole point of the LiPo chassis is the weight distribution is correct. With NiCad/NiMH cars you loose distribution with LiPo. LiPo packs are certainly not all the same size, so they can't just make it so you wedge the pack in. If this were the case, only 1 particular make would work. So of course you would need locators to keep the pack secure.

As for tune-up parts - What on do you mean? I built my CAT SX and noticed Silicone Nitride balls for the diff, ball-raced steering, titanium turnbuckles, eccentric diff housings, titanium nitride covered shock shafts, 4mm thick carbon shock towers, split pulley housings... oh and the first and only 10th off-road designed around a LiPo pack (as far as I know).
Old 20-09-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

very little off road cars come with tune up bits, thats why there called tune up bit's,
Old 20-09-2008
Mad Member

Must admit im a bit gutted that i cant fit my saddle pack Lipo in. If anybody knows how to get them in then im up for finding out or i will have to get 2 stick pack Lipos. Doh! Car is very nice. Shame for me to race it really!
Old 20-09-2008

Hello

Sorry but I agree that the LiPo gluing is a quite stupid solution.

I don t imagine having dedicated packs for 2WD, Truck and 4WD.

I ll have to imagine something different for installing packs in my car...and I m a little bit disapointed on that (like the 5x9x3 front bearings - already on the CAT 2K and 3K- that EVERYBODY kills on high bite tracks)

JC
Old 20-09-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Funny you should mention those front bearings. I was a little worried about those, as like you, used to kill them in both cat 2k and 3k. However, i haven't changed one single bearing in front of SX.

No entirely sure why, but hasn't been a problem. I suspect it is because the outer race is better supported by the hub, and the inner races have a spacer between them that i think touches both bearings.
Old 20-09-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

also, the wheel off-set may come into this, but in the end, if there is a spacer between the two inner races, so there isn't any side loading on the bearing, or very minimal, the bearing will last a great deal longer.

As for the LiPo fitment, it is a toughie, with different designs out there for cell casings, it would be hard to design a one fits all placing gadget, although, I agree, that gluing bits to the bottom of the cells can cause issue's in fitment in other cars due to height...
Old 21-09-2008

Sad to say but i have to agree with the disappointment on the lipo fitment. If i may ask, hw many locators are supplied with the kit? It really make no sense just to provide 2 locators for 1 lipo. Are there any wiser choices in securing the lipos?
Old 21-09-2008

Yes the lipo fitting does seem to be a bit of a mess - especially if you have lipo's that are required to fit into other cars.

From what I can see the lipo is located well at the front (via bulkhead/servo) and at the back (via battery post) so I think you would only need to stop the back of the lipo sliding in and out.

From the above below it looks like it would be relatively easy to mount a couple of small posts on the chassis on either side of the pack.

Old 21-09-2008

Hi mates,

Do you think LiPo with locators glued underneath it, does meet the required dimension of BRCA, FVRC, ROAR rules???
I don't know yet, but I guess it could lead to trouble during technical inspection
Old 21-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I know what you mean with the Lipo and it is fair comment. What I have done is used velcro to hold the cells in position - because my Lipo's are to go into a B4 too.

As for Anti-roll bar, id never expect to get this with any kit. Schumacher, Losi, AE, need to sell stuff afterall. If you want Anti-roll bar, order one!
Old 21-09-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
As for Anti-roll bar, id never expect to get this with any kit. Schumacher, Losi, AE, need to sell stuff afterall. If you want Anti-roll bar, order one!
Hotbodies D4 comes with a rear roll bar kit as std
Old 21-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

No more X6 Chris?

I agree Chris. There are other ways of holding the Lipo from moving sideways.
There doesn't look to be too much movement anyway, looking at the photos.
Surely a bit of glass firbre tape over the battery strap would stop it from moving too much. After all it doesn't look like it will move very far once all the electrics and undertray are fitted anyway? There's no belts for it to crash into down the centre of the car.
Old 21-09-2008

I'm using Trakpower 3600's.

What i've done is remove the 3mm of purple washers from under the post at the rear, and put them above the purple 'nipple' at the front.

The battery bar then sits nice and tight between the negative and balance ports, which are slightly raised, which holds the Lipo nice and tight at the rear.

The front slides very slightly, but as mentioned before, won't move far with the servo one side and the undertray the other.

Just need to test my theory on some rough stuff now
Old 22-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Hotbodies D4 comes with a rear roll bar kit as std
So what? , I think this is just nit picking for nit picking's sake.

I don't get this. If a kit doesn't come with a roll bar, don't whinge, just order it. If a kit does, then bonus, lets have a party.