Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 19-09-2008

Default One-way Layshaft

As I am sure most are aware the people opting to get their CAT SX early have the option front one-way pulley.

I have a quick question though, in what circumstances is it best to use the one-way. I have built it locked, as personally I have only driven cars with spools, one-way diffs, or normal diffs - but never with with a centre/layshaft one-way.

Is it purely preference? The manual just says the more one-way stuff you put on (i.e. one-way diff, one-way layshaft) the quicker the car will be but at cost of driving ease.

I just think it could perhaps be odd to have the one-way layshaft operating with a normal diff?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 19-09-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mattym0310

This thread might help, I think they're the answers you're looking for??

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 19-09-2008

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

I personally use a one way on more flowing tracks, where keeping the speed up is important to be quick. The car obviously has less brakes due to only the back end braking, so i tend to stay away from them on more twisty tracks.

Very much personal preference tho to be honest. I know that Matt for example runs a one-way everywhere, so its whatever suits your style.

As for the layshaft option, I tested it at the start of the year with and without the pin and settled with it with the pin in for me.
Old 19-09-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I think from ease of drive to full on axe murderer, it goes soemthing like this:

Locked+diff, one way+diff, locked+one way diff.

So it's kind of an "in-between". I usually go for one way diff as Si said, and i built the car this way for Nathan for F3's. He ran it like this for the start, but swapped out to one way pully/diff. The reason he said for this was that the track was very cut up. If you stayed on the worn stuff, you were fine with normal one way. However, if you got a wheel onto the fresh grass it would pull that corner. So, with the one way layshaft/diff, you get most of the benefits on one way, but without this negative.
Old 19-09-2008

Three awesome replies. Thank you.

Matt (M) - that thread was good reading thank you.

Simon and Matt (W) - Thank you for the CAT SX related answers. You are worth your weight in gold. Schumacher are lucky to have such great high level racing drivers that take the time to reply to forum posts and support the car.
Old 21-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I ran the SX last night indoors at York, with Kit setup and one way layshaft + diff. The car felt very good and safe but did steer aggressively while being predictable - which is very quick if you can cope with it.