Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 12-04-2010

Default losi xx4 we

Hi, im looking a getting a second hand xx4 and was looking for some advice. Can the xx4 handle brushless and lipo? Also what are spares avalibility like and what sort of spares should i carry? Can the xx4 compete with the likes of the cat and durango? Jay
Old 12-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've had a XX4WE for a few months now, but mostly ran a Cyclone D4 as my main car - at least indoors. First outdoor meeting this year thought I might give the XX4 a go for a round - and OMG! Its way better on our bumpy track than the D4 ever was, and it hadn't even be set up properly.
It handles brushless just fine, but you'll need to keep a good eye on the belts as changing them trackside isn't funny. Actually works better on brushless amd Lipo than the old Street Weapon I had a decade ago did on brushed and NiCd. The drivetrain isn't as efficient as the shaft on the D4 say, but with brushless and lipo you can still have all the speed and power you want whilst lasting 5 mins so it doesn't matter anymore.
DMS has pretty much anything you'll need spares wise and are so amazingly fast and generally awesome you just wouldn't believe it! On advice I've fitted front and rear shock tower braces - these are the weak points so spares would be a good idea too. The front wishbones are also weak, but the best solution there seems to be Cat SX medium flex wishbones which have the same dimensions but are stronger and easier to get hold of.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 13-04-2010

As Si said you won't be disappointed once you get your car all set up, they are excellent cars to drive and I really like mine. When you get it though, probably worth checking the belts and in doing so you'll appreciate the work involved in changing them. I bought two second hand cars, one as a spares donor, and put all the best bits together, but the mistake I made was not replacing the belts and on my first meeting broke 3!. Look around on ebay or here and get some belts and pulleys so you get it all set up right initially. Also, make sure you get the slipper all set up right so there isn't too much strain on the belts. THere is a mod that some do cutting the main belt cover (see review on here) but it can mean a bit of unwanted flex so i don't cut mine, I just sware any time i need to access the transmission during a meeting!

If you're not sure, go for a B44, they are a little more user friendly...what am i saying, get an xx4 and a good set of allen wrenches!

Old 13-04-2010

cheers for the replys guys

What sort of spares should i look at getting? I like those white losi ball cups they do, hopefully dms will have some in stock. cheers
Old 13-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ball cups, shock towers, wishbones, belts - same as any other car really.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 13-04-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason76 View Post
Hi, im looking a getting a second hand xx4 and was looking for some advice. Can the xx4 handle brushless and lipo? Also what are spares avalibility like and what sort of spares should i carry? Can the xx4 compete with the likes of the cat and durango? Jay
In addition to the previous posters' responses, there is no reason it can't handle BL/lipo any more than it couldn't handle the hot mod motors of its day (which it did). Same spares as any other car, really. If I remember right, the xx4 was a great car for rough tracks.

And just a heads-up, it seems there's a guy on here today thinking about selling a brand new one (still in the box), so you might be able to work something out with him. Race one, and keep the other for "parts."
Old 13-04-2010

I'm after a World Edition NIB kit.
Could you give me more informations thrue PM ?

Thanks

Cedric
Old 21-04-2010

Just got my xx4 this morning, im rebuilding the diffs and replacing parts like pulleys and belts and the spur gear. The car looks awesome. It looks like it has the original one piece graphite chassis, im going to be running lipo in mine so im just wondering weather or not to run saddle packs or use a stick pack dowm one side? Does anyone have any in car shots of theres so i can see how they have installed electrics? Is it worth me replacing any other parts i didnt list. Thanks
Old 21-04-2010

Ash runs a xx4, well i think he still does, and he had stick lipo in it, have a look at the thread with the pictures.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37780

Carl

~Tiverton Radio Control Car Club-
Old 21-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
THere is a mod that some do cutting the main belt cover (see review on here) but it can mean a bit of unwanted flex so i don't cut mine, I just sware any time i need to access the transmission during a meeting!
I would not recommend doing the mod mentioned above as the flex it generates will give you issues with your belts skiping, Just ensure you run you slipper with a little bit of slip and the car will be great, the slipper real does help the car over the bumps

Si
Old 21-04-2010

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuv View Post
I'm after a World Edition NIB kit.
Could you give me more informations thrue PM ?

Thanks

Cedric
There is one on US eBay right now... still in the wrapper.

Don't see that too often anymore.
Old 23-04-2010

Does anyone no the quantity and sizes of the screw's required for the xx4.
Old 26-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
Does anyone no the quantity and sizes of the screw's required for the xx4.

I suggest you to look at following link, where's the manual and exploded view is available,

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/losi/Se...oubleX4WE.html

bye.
Old 26-04-2010

Thanks, Can someone tell me whats best or what are people running in there xx4's Stick pack or saddle?
Old 28-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
Thanks, Can someone tell me whats best or what are people running in there xx4's Stick pack or saddle?
I hard suggest saddle pack. Excellent balance and works fine.