Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 14-09-2009

seen maxxo's ride up close . Man the details on this car is Sic .
worth it if you ask me .
Old 14-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

This is one of those silly statements though isn't it!

Worth it is a very relative term - depending on whether you have £450 lying around! If you have, well then its worth it. If you haven't, you are better off getting a B44 and eating something other than Value beans for 6 months straight.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 14-09-2009
Administrator

So you're saying if you don't have enough money for the car - get something cheaper? Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 14-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well Duh!

More if you can't easily afford it its not worth suffering to save for.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 14-09-2009
Administrator

If you can't easily afford the B44, what do you do? eat jam sandwiches for the rest of your life? No you bloody save up and get a durango instead, sorted.
Old 15-09-2009
Lee-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Well Duh!

Jesus suffered for us all so you too could have a durango

If you believe that crap

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post

I'd say any amount of suffering would be worth taking, if it meant getting a DEX410 at the end

Mine won first time out on Sunday, against probably the best driver in the EoE region
Old 15-09-2009

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

TBH:
I've had this discussion with quite a few people who have questioned the price of the DEX410.
My reply has been:

1. Most people who are buying the DEX410 are not 1st timers, so the demographic is quite different.
2. How many kits come so well specced out of the box? We've all run car's that have required a lot of money to get them working out of the box.
3. How many packs of NiMH's did you take to racing last year (~6 x £60= £360) and how many packs of LiPo's do you take to a meeting now? (1 or 2 @ £60= £120). How often do they need replacing compared to NiMH's.

I think the days of the Chassis being the cheap part of the sport are gone. Actually turning upto meetings (Fuel, Food, accomodation (where needed)) is the more cost consuming part of racing. We don't have to buy brushes, skim motors and replace worn out armatures anymore.

Brushless and LiPo have driven the cost of off road down, which has made the class boom a little again and probably made the kits look expensive again in relative terms.

Those who have bought the DEX410, certainly don't seem to be complaining about the money they've parted with. Which to me speaks volumes....

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Id be interested to hear if JohnM, for example, would have had no chance of victory on Sunday if he had raced using whichever RC he owned before buying the DEX?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 15-09-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Mine won first time out on Sunday, against probably the best driver in the WELSH region[/quote]

He did only run 4wd twice, but all the same, it still won.

Have to say i was very impressed how well the car responded to changes and went so well out of the box. Little fettling over the winter and i think this thing could very well be a missile!
Old 15-09-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Mathew raced against Stu Hurley at southport at the weekend,Stu was driving his new durango, and Matty was the one having a hard time holding Stu of,hell he even beet Matthew fair and square in round 4, and that was a first EVER,
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
Mine won first time out on Sunday, against probably the best driver in the WELSH region
He did only run 4wd twice, but all the same, it still won.

Have to say i was very impressed how well the car responded to changes and went so well out of the box. Little fettling over the winter and i think this thing could very well be a missile![/QUOTE]

Jody Denner was there!! bloody hell
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
Id be interested to hear if JohnM, for example, would have had no chance of victory on Sunday if he had raced using whichever RC he owned before buying the DEX?
Put it this way, I had an electrical issue in the second race of the day, which meant I couldn't run the DEX for the rest of the day, so had to go back to my trusty Yokomo BX, which I've run for 3 seasons now, know inside and out, perfectly set-up for me and the local tracks, etc, and I only got close to beating that driver once all day, after the DEX was put away, he was his usual unbeatable self.

Also, on a track that got faster as the day went on, it took me 4 races till I nipped under the fastest race lap for the DEX, and like I said, Yokomo, perfectly set-up, known for years, Durango, run once, guessed at the set-up, so alot more to come from it

Much like what Adam said, I don't have a problem with the car costing £445, my wife on the other hand does But it was 3 years ago when I got my Yok BX, and that was a £400 kit back then, and while the quality of that car was way beyond anything else, part of the reason I bought it, the Durango's quality makes it look like a B44!, which is by far the worse made car I've ever built.

Any doubts I might've had about if it was worth it or not, all went away in that one race

If you want to run at your local club, buy just about anything, if you want to win, buy a DEX, simples.
Old 15-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
hell he even beet Matthew fair and square in round 4, and that was a first EVER,
I thermalled in rnd 2 & 3

The car is worth every penny in my book!! It looks like it's built to last, so running costs should be fairly low. You also get alot of parts in the box that for other cars you'd have to buy separetely

0 + 1 degree rear hubs (from memory)
front and rear roll bars
0, 2, 4 degree toe in blocks
lipo & nimh battery straps
etc etc etc

Maybe the "R" will just be without all the extra's ?
Old 15-09-2009

Jody Denner was there!! bloody hell[/quote]

Nah, greg lane and leonard. lol Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get all the old names racing again, wales would have one hell of a strong region.. Facebook here we come!!
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As someone who was planning on getting the Durango before not doing so on cost grounds, hope no-one minds me adding my bit?

There's no doubting the car is expensive, I'm guessing the most expensive on the Market? This will make it too expensive for some (including me), but that doesn't make it "not worth the money" so to speak. From what I've seen it will require less drivetrain maintenance than other cars, comes with trick things like the boots, and bluntly looks a step apart engineering wise!! For me I could only afford this or nitro and went nitro as I already gave a 10th with ruckloads of parts, but would still love one of these one day!

As for ultimate speed, time will tell, it certainly seems up there, but I'd reserve judgement on whether it's really measurably quicker than the other top cars until I've seen for myself at various meetings, sounds a little too good to be true so far!

Anyway, glad the quality of build etc seems to have lived up to hopes!
Old 15-09-2009
Administrator

How much did you pay for the TRF511 Dave? I honestly can't remember how much I paid for mine, but when you add gold shocks, proper ball studs (the silver ones are CRAP), body, wheels, etc etc - without even adding the alloy hubs that the team drivers use you're probably looking a similar price to the DEX410? Or at least not far off. Fusion sell the 511 for 460 on it's own - add the bits you need/want and you're looking at 500-550 for the TRF511.
Shop around and you can get it cheaper - but it still doesn't come with the bits you need / want (little things, like a bodyshell, haha)
Old 15-09-2009

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

ok, think like this, is the durango dear? Or are the others cheap lower guality products?.
Mate has spent near 400 on his cat?
An eigth serpent 966 is near 500 with no diffs.
In my eyes you pay yout money and takes your choice, why do some folk pay thousands for a bmw whem a skoda will do the same job?
Old 15-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The worry is that 1/10th offroad ends up accepting that having to fork out £450 for a chassis is acceptable and "the only key to success".
Its all well and good to say that LiPo's and brushless have reduced costs, but the idea is to keep those savings, not have to spend that saving as extra to afford your chassis lol

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 15-09-2009
Mad Member

A new B44 can be bought for around £210 and this chassis is arguably the most successful one around for the last couple of years, so do we need to spend big?