Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 06-06-2011

Default astro set up

Hi guys just got myself a x6 sq again after trying a different buggy what a misteak that was,looking for a set-up for a high grip astro track that is bumpy and has jumps as well,the car has losi shock's oo
Cheers chris
Old 06-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

Chris, there is a good starting point set up in this thread here posted by Mat Dodd recently http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71277

Or try the one attached from Ellis below
Attached Files
File Type: doc X6² End set up.doc (70.5 KB, 89 views)
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 26-06-2011

Hi raced today at torch witch is a long high grip track coped ellis set-up to the letter but had grip roll and to much steering going in to the bends but had good mid and exit grip can anyone point me the way i need to go on the set-up??
chris
Old 27-06-2011

Did you trim the front tyres at all? If not then try outer first then inner as well.

If still too much then maybe consider stagger ribs.

E
Old 27-06-2011

Ellis i was running the new cut staggered ribs but still to nervous went to old worn staggered ribs made it better but then it had to much push the only way i could get it around was on worn tyres front and rear to stop it grip rolling then had forward brit probloms,would it make it better with a rear roll bar??I'm running losi xxx shocks do you now were i can get springs for them??one more thing on all your set up sheets you run no spacers in your losi rear shocks in mine there are about 10mm of spacers is this right??
cheers chris
Old 27-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

Chris, I thoiught you copied Ellis set up to the letter?? ;-)

He already has a 0.9mm rear roll bar fitted on that set up, makes a huge differance to the feel of the car.

Try some "new" staggers of the orignal type, the new Cut Staggers make the car do funny things mid corner we have found and as such we all prefer the older type, but if yours are worn then treat yourself to a new pair, the roll bar will also help with the understeer.

For Losi springs (older XXX type), we have the full range in stock at the shop if you need any.....
Old 27-06-2011

Got last on the set up yesterday having problems all day rollbar on then off,the biggest problem was i found that when i brought the x6sq 2 weeks ago that the front springs are cut down when i looked saw that there were black and thought that there were right for the set up, just need to got the right ones now
Old 27-06-2011

RE cut staggers,When my son bought his car recently it came with some bits and bobs,amoung them were some "cut" stagger rib tyres.I tried them on my car and straight away loved them.So I bought some for myself and some slim rims to mount them on.When they arrived straight away we noticed they were different,the tread pattern was inconsistant and the small treads were very "wobbly".The result was that the drive was very different from the ones that came with the car,after enquiring we found out that the original tyres were the original uncut pattern that he had cut himself.The new cut tyres I bought have only done a few heats and quite a bit of the tread has broken off.I have a pair of the originals that i have cut myself to use tomorrow evening.The upshot of this is that the centre two rows of tread are far more substantial than the ones you can buy ready "cut" and hopefully wont break off(i`ll let you know after tomorrows meeting what happened).It didnt take long to modify two tyres with a Dremel type tool and thin cutting disc-10 15min approx.
Old 28-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy96 View Post
RE cut staggers,When my son bought his car recently it came with some bits and bobs,amoung them were some "cut" stagger rib tyres.I tried them on my car and straight away loved them.So I bought some for myself and some slim rims to mount them on.When they arrived straight away we noticed they were different,the tread pattern was inconsistant and the small treads were very "wobbly".The result was that the drive was very different from the ones that came with the car,after enquiring we found out that the original tyres were the original uncut pattern that he had cut himself.The new cut tyres I bought have only done a few heats and quite a bit of the tread has broken off.I have a pair of the originals that i have cut myself to use tomorrow evening.The upshot of this is that the centre two rows of tread are far more substantial than the ones you can buy ready "cut" and hopefully wont break off(i`ll let you know after tomorrows meeting what happened).It didnt take long to modify two tyres with a Dremel type tool and thin cutting disc-10 15min approx.
To be honest the "old" ones with no cuts made to them are still very good (the average club driver would not tell the differnece between them cut and not).

Glad you have seen what we noticed on the newer Cut Staggers, resulting in very inconsistent steering....
Old 28-06-2011

Well quite a good evening for me this evening,conditions dry and no dew setttling due to the strong breeze-so the track was consistant for 3 heats and the final.I tried my old favourites on the front at first(Schumacher yellow minispikes-every other spike removed on the outside edge) and then changed to my "selfcut" staggered ribs,much better and very pleased I have recreated the feel of the tyres we acquired with Phils new car.Reguarding the uncut staggers-theres quite a bit of difference to be had once youve cut them (if you want it).It was the 4th meeting with the X6 this evening and im starting to find my way with it now,particularly how much better it steers/holds the line on the infield,sometimes its unbelievable how fast some go-but seeing as im an old git im well pleased,qualified at the back of the A final(6th) and finished 6th but had some good racing throughout.