Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Three Counties Radio Controlled Motorsport Club

Old 03-05-2013
Mad Member

Default Midweek Grass track racing??

Now it's getting darker later, we're thinking of holding some mid-week racing at the grass track in Towcester. Is this something you would be interested in, and what night?

We can do any night apart from Tuesday, and could even do a Sunday with a 5pm start.
Old 04-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

When will the track be finished? Surely summer will be over by then !!!
Old 04-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
When will the track be finished? Surely summer will be over by then !!!

The current phase of work should be finished in time for the next round of the summer series. But the track will never be finished as there's always work to be done and improvements to be made.

We were delayed by the weather but we wanted to put some drainage in, and landscape the track.

We've put a lot of man hours in with the committee working on the track 2 nights a week, but could really do with some help/assistance as there's only so much 4 people can do in an evening, whilst also running meetings at least once a week, and juggling our other commitments.

But we have a lot of land available so we can always take advantage of that a move things about and bit to make the most of the summer. We have an amazing venue with an unbeleavable amount of potential, but to achieve our goals we need the support of the 1/10 community, not just in track work but attendance of the meetings we put on.

The club is currently in a reasonable position financially, but numbers have been down over the last few weeks, with us really suffering last night. If we as a club run at a loss, we as a committee will have some tough decisions to make, at it would be a shame to lose either of our venues as there both on our doorsteps.

We as a committee welcome any constructive feedback either on here, or by speaking/pm'ing any of the committee directly.
Old 04-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Matt, i'll be as consructive as possible.

The track you are planning on running on tomorrow (behind the current rostrum) is fine for a club meet but at the new reduced rate (£10) is still far too expensive to attract new people to the venue. The correct price you should be charging for this type of venue/event is no more than £5, this is the sort of price structure that venues such as Stotfold, Kidderminster, Coventry and Eden Park charge for a days racing on their purpose built, high quality, national standard tracks.

The rostrum you are planning to use tomorrow is effectively 3 feet off the ground and too far from the track so is nowhere near high enough to see the track properly. My suggestion would be to use the raised platforms in the garden centre lock up to build a temporary rostrum instead of the usual one, that way the track you have laid will be fully useable. I would encourage you to use the new green fencing to section off the track area too, as this will make the whole venue more appealing.

I understand the time limits etc but there's been more than enough time since the first cancelled meeting (around 3 weeks) to sort this out but no real work has been done on the track until the last couple of days so the temporary track has been thrown together at short notice. I would imagine the committee will all be busy at the track today finishing it off for tomorrow?

I'll be coming along tomorrow and I'll make my mind up on the day whether I want to race or not.

Alec
Old 04-05-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Not knowing nuffin or much about the track, to say £5 is a piss take IMHO. £10 might be too much, we charge £8 and £6 for members.

As a curve ball, IMHO ALL race fees are too cheap at present compared to what racers pay for the equipment used!

Rant over, man love to all!

Good luck to all...
Old 04-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Matt, i'll be as consructive as possible.

The track you are planning on running on tomorrow (behind the current rostrum) is fine for a club meet but at the new reduced rate (£10) is still far too expensive to attract new people to the venue. The correct price you should be charging for this type of venue/event is no more than £5, this is the sort of price structure that venues such as Stotfold, Kidderminster, Coventry and Eden Park charge for a days racing on their purpose built, high quality, national standard tracks.

The rostrum you are planning to use tomorrow is effectively 3 feet off the ground and too far from the track so is nowhere near high enough to see the track properly. My suggestion would be to use the raised platforms in the garden centre lock up to build a temporary rostrum instead of the usual one, that way the track you have laid will be fully useable. I would encourage you to use the new green fencing to section off the track area too, as this will make the whole venue more appealing.

I understand the time limits etc but there's been more than enough time since the first cancelled meeting (around 3 weeks) to sort this out but no real work has been done on the track until the last couple of days so the temporary track has been thrown together at short notice. I would imagine the committee will all be busy at the track today finishing it off for tomorrow?

I'll be coming along tomorrow and I'll make my mind up on the day whether I want to race or not.

Alec
We've run cars round the track and the hight of the rostrum seems fine to us, the new temporary track will be used tomorrow and in the future which will allow us to get some more use out of the venue.

I appreciate what your saying in regards to the pricing this is something we looking at now that we have a second track, but unfortunaly the rent must covered otherwise there will not any meetings at all.

If you look around the region other clubs charge £8 for members for a full days racing. Somehow Stotfold have a really low fee structure which is great. I don't think we can take EPR into consideration as it'll cost you £50 in fuel to get to.

At the end of the day, it's the only outdoor track for 30-40 miles, there'll be four rounds and a final all for £10 or £8 if your a member, and once the meetings over the Comittee will continue with the real work, and continue the track build for future meetings and more impotantly the regional.

It's better than no track at all, and all the tracks you have mentioned all took more than a few months of work to create, and we're built overtime using the revenue from earlier meetings. The committee have given up there own free time and in the last 3 weeks have clocked up 50+ hours of track work. Which I personally thank them for.

We'll be hanging around tomorrow for a few hours to get some more things done, your more than welcome to join us and we promise to have a better track for the next time you race.
Old 04-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Not knowing nuffin or much about the track, to say £5 is a piss take IMHO. £10 might be too much, we charge £8 and £6 for members.

As a curve ball, IMHO ALL race fees are too cheap at present compared to what racers pay for the equipment used!

Rant over, man love to all!

Good luck to all...
I agree mate, it cost's more to go to the cinema than it does to race our £1000 cars
Old 04-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Most of the clubs mentioned pay for their venue even if its not being used, i was under the impression that you only pay for the venue when its holding a meeting, is this not the case now? If it is the case then you have no overheads/costs. You need to draw people in, making the meetings more expensive than a National event won't do that, as you have now found out.

You are correct, these other clubs have built up over time, but they didn't start out by overcharging for their meetings with an inadequate facility.
Old 04-05-2013
Mad Member

Alec,

Thank you for your feedback. I will raise some of your points with the commitee.
Old 08-05-2013

I haven't been to the outdoors tracks so I can't comment on them but I wnated to commend your decision to charge less for u16s to race.

Maybe things will pick up a bit once the grass tracks are fully up and running?????
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Most of the clubs mentioned pay for their venue even if its not being used, i was under the impression that you only pay for the venue when its holding a meeting, is this not the case now? If it is the case then you have no overheads/costs. You need to draw people in, making the meetings more expensive than a National event won't do that, as you have now found out.

You are correct, these other clubs have built up over time, but they didn't start out by overcharging for their meetings with an inadequate facility.

Very true and i agree

30---40 miles is only if you all live in Towcester..... if you live half way between Towcester and Hinckley/Coventry they may seem more attractive

In all this time i can think of one word that describes those clubs and not yours........Reliable-------if you're gonna run the meeting, run the meeting
Old 09-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
Very true and i agree

30---40 miles is only if you all live in Towcester..... if you live half way between Towcester and Hinckley/Coventry they may seem more attractive

In all this time i can think of one word that describes those clubs and not yours........Reliable-------if you're gonna run the meeting, run the meeting
I agree with you, if we say we're going to run, we will run.

Things have moved on since last year, and a new club has been formed, and there is now a team of people running things now.

Last year it was me a one man band, and I will openly admit that it all got a bit too much for me to handle by myself, whilst also working full time, with a young family. Yes I made mistakes, and wrong decisions, and I ended up in a very bad place, but I was also the only one who in the aftermath of the motor arena who was prepared to run meetings, and invest the kind on money needed buy the all the equipment to enable us to run.

We were also plagued with the wettest year on record, which is not a good thing for a grass track, however towards the end of the year we held some good meetings.

I ask that if you can give us/the new club another chance, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-05-2013

I'm sure this year will be good for the club you've all done a great job

I'll try to be there on the 15th, not Charlie but me!

Apologies in advance as i have rusty thumbs and old reflexes

Steve
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by estebandonde View Post
I'm sure this year will be good for the club you've all done a great job

I'll try to be there on the 15th, not Charlie but me!

Apologies in advance as i have rusty thumbs and old reflexes

Steve
Will be nice to see you there Steve, don't worry rusty thumbs do polish up eventually

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
Very true and i agree

As part of the team running the new club I can only say that one of the goals of the committee is to prevent such issues where possible, please come along at some point and see if we can change your opinion.

As someone who lives within 20 miles of the Hinckley, Coventry, TCRCMC, and Silverstone clubs I'm more than happy to go to any of the clubs and am glad to have the choice.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC