Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 20-09-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Default 2002 Focus TDCI 115bhp ?

I'm looking for a sideways move on my Pug 307 to something diesel, I've found a decent 2002 5 door focus with 90k on it and no fake walnut on the dash. It's nothing flash but solid enough and should be good mpg.

Any critical advice?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 20-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i had a 52 plate focus 115 ps tdci ghia. it was a lovely car. nice ride, good mileage and good engine performance. Right up until the dual mass flywheel went taking the fuel pump and other bits with it. £3k repair bill.
it got traded straight in, repair cost was more than the car at the time.

with 90k miles on the clock, yours could be a big bill waiting to happen, unless it has already been replaced recently?

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 20-09-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Hmmmm, thanks for that

How can you tell if it's on its way? I drove it today and it seemed fine, was an old dears traded in at a main dealer, nice national trust tax disk holder in it

Nortech is ACE!
Old 20-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i don't know to be honest. i didn't really get any warning. Maybe a mechanic or ford employee on here can give you an idea. Mark Christopher is quite knowledgeable on that stuff.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 21-09-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

It's bought now anyway so any more bad stories please hold onto them.

Mark if you read this, any idea on what the camblet interval is?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

You'll love it. Dual mass flywheels hate hard acceleration at low revs, so don't drag-strip it away from the lights, or make it labour under 1200 revs. If you keep it between 1500 and 2000 on part throttle, and don't give it large until the turbo chimes in at about 1800, they last ages. Mine's done 106k (2.0 TDCi) and it's as smooth as silk.

DEKTRA in Germany survey over 15m cars in German roads, and the Ford Focus/C-Max/S-Max constantly come out in the top five, with VW, BMW and Merc waaaayyyyy down the list. Lots of people can come up with a nightmare failure on cars with generally excellent relaibility records, that's the effect of natural variation in everything. It hurts when it happens, but if you want to guarantee a big bill buy a MkV Golf or an Audi A3 of similar vintage. If you want one of the most reliable cars out there... you just bought it!

Hope you enjoy it and there are no nightmares for you.
Old 23-09-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

, pick it up in a couple of hours. Clearly it's nothing flash but it has all the Ford options (quick clear front screen, 6 cd in dash changer, digital climate etc) I've also had two newer focus diesel with this enginer (well one a 1.8 and one a 1.6) so am happy knowing it will go well.

Knwing the last owner had it last 6 years and had a national trust tax dick holder I hope it's not been accelerate hard at all for 6 years

Nortech is ACE!
Old 23-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to rich_cree

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
, pick it up in a couple of hours. Clearly it's nothing flash but it has all the Ford options (quick clear front screen, 6 cd in dash changer, digital climate etc) I've also had two newer focus diesel with this enginer (well one a 1.8 and one a 1.6) so am happy knowing it will go well.

Knwing the last owner had it last 6 years and had a national trust tax dick holder I hope it's not been accelerate hard at all for 6 years
national trust tax dick holder - can't say I've seen one of those before!
Old 23-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

*note to self: Put in a national trust tax disc holder when i come to try and sell my cars* (they'll never guess the loud needle has even been near the other side of the tacho).

I loved my Focus of same shape, handled very well. Wouldn't have parted with it except for engine issues (petrol engine, don't be concerned Dan)

No fake walnut?
Old 24-09-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Lol @ Cree, damn replying on a IPhone

Chris, I thought of you when looking at it as they had a tidy ST170 on an 04 plate for £2695 which seemed good value.

Anyway got the car back, lashed it home on the motorway and lanes back to mine and got just under 50mpg on the computer

Nortech is ACE!
Old 24-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That is good value, I would have another too except I can't get what I feel my Mini is worth if I was to sell it - and I really like my Mini - however I do feel sometimes I could do with practicality of a bigger car, then I remember that anything bigger won't fit the garage. Its great getting in to a warm dry car in the morning (garage is carpetted and heated), especially in the winter when its freezing/snowing.

Sounds like you've got a good car. Are you racing Chadderton this winter?
Old 24-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Hi Dan

service interval on belt is 100k or ten years which ever is 1st. so anytime now.

1.8 d was a good strong engine,it out of production now as unable to meet latest emission stage. however you will never strugle for parts.
if flywheel is on the way you will get a loud rattle from cold,when starting or idle, one of the worse things we found was poor batteries/starter motors can lead to flywheel failure, sounds odd but the low cranking speed caused ecsess back lash and damaged em, if you thing it cranks slow, get new battery and get starter stripped and bushes/bearings greased, if its not been abused chances you will be ok, sisterin law has one and its been fine for 3 years she had it.

pm me ur reg number.
i
Old 24-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

not so sure on ford now, ive owned my 02 modeo zetec tdci 130 for just over 18 months im 3rd owner from new FFSH 67,000 when i bought it and is starting to feel like a money pit, ive changed all 4 wheels bearings and front and rear drop links..........no more rattling now but seem to have a fueling problem, between 1750-2250 rpms in any gear and any speed driving normally is a pain in the arse as the car is jerking around like its not getting enough fuel. Drive faster/above 2250rpms and dont have the problem but have noticed alot of smoke when turbo kicks in.............

YM02 YJL

Is it time to part ex........???
Old 24-09-2011

mondea is a different beast!!
have you lost power or getting a rushing air noise?

just out of curiosity check the turbo pipe is not split , open bonnet, pipe on left that goes to egr, look for black oil/leakage and feel it under the elbo for a split.
Old 24-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
mondea is a different beast!!
have you lost power or getting a rushing air noise?

just out of curiosity check the turbo pipe is not split , open bonnet, pipe on left that goes to egr, look for black oil/leakage and feel it under the elbo for a split.

Not sure on power loss but does feel a bit flat at times "BUT" everything else youve mentioned seems spot on, i thought the rushing noise was normal turbo noise but did think it was a bit loud so had a look and have seen a little bit of oil on a pipe but couldnt see any splits, will have another look and take a pic............
Old 24-09-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Sounds like you've got a good car. Are you racing Chadderton this winter?
Hope so, though not booked in yet.

That's a job for right now!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 24-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post
Not sure on power loss but does feel a bit flat at times "BUT" everything else youve mentioned seems spot on, i thought the rushing noise was normal turbo noise but did think it was a bit loud so had a look and have seen a little bit of oil on a pipe but couldnt see any splits, will have another look and take a pic............
they normally slit as though been cut by a sharpe knife also look through the front lower grill at the intercooler for any wet patches (oily residue)
Old 24-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post
I had that problem this time last year, all the black smoke and hissing noise on acceleration.
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52977
Turned out the intercooler had split and that cost me £350 fitted.
Apart from that no other part has failed on my cmax,s in 100,000 miles.