Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 17-04-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Welsh your car looks really sweet! Oosh nice work as well!
Old 17-04-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosh123 View Post
Really? it will gain that much?? You can easily be the top 40 then =)

About your open rear gear box. How easy is it to fit a cover for it? As there is no indoor carpet here in Vancouver. I need to protect the gear box from the environment of dirt, sand, and dust.
Its up there now but the rear belt cant handle the power and slips so hopefully should give at least half a lap more in a race due to being able to use all the power available.

Clear lexan folded and double sided taped to the cf gearbox should do the trick. I know the americans and japenese didnt with the zxs and neither did i in pouring rain and hope this gearbox will be the same. The only other suggestion is a really well cut shell and undertray so a perfect fit and plenty of velcro.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 17-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Its up there now but the rear belt cant handle the power and slips so hopefully should give at least half a lap more in a race due to being able to use all the power available.

Clear lexan folded and double sided taped to the cf gearbox should do the trick. I know the americans and japenese didnt with the zxs and neither did i in pouring rain and hope this gearbox will be the same. The only other suggestion is a really well cut shell and undertray so a perfect fit and plenty of velcro.
Well take an example from the Trf 511 and Yokomo Bx. I have a Bx and the stock build suggests small squares of clear lexan to cover gear box front and behind.
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
Well take an example from the Trf 511 and Yokomo Bx. I have a Bx and the stock build suggests small squares of clear lexan to cover gear box front and behind.
And that idea came from Kyosho, as the ZX-S has to have clear lexan for the front and rear of the gearboxes, which is a simple fit once you have bent the lexan first to fit around. Lots of similarities on the Tamiya 511 that appear to be copied from Kyosho with exception of the slop on the tamiya, wheras there is vertually none on the ZX or ZXR.
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
Design Phrase Done!

Hurry up and test it, im wondering if it will fit to be honest as the design has two gaps between the bearing and the pulley so am hoping it fits with zero movement left or right, with enough freedom to give the car plenty of free movement before it stops (no motor pinion attached to do this). Makes the car very efficient and means more run time.

Let us know how it goes.
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
And that idea came from Kyosho, as the ZX-S has to have clear lexan for the front and rear of the gearboxes, which is a simple fit once you have bent the lexan first to fit around. Lots of similarities on the Tamiya 511 that appear to be copied from Kyosho with exception of the slop on the tamiya, wheras there is vertually none on the ZX or ZXR.
That's interesting to know...I only came to know of the ZX-S recently.

Funny that the TRF511 and Yokomo Bx are so similar. The Yoko came before the TRF511 aswell.

Anyway, why wasn't the ZX-S pushed forward despite it's obvious potential and pedigree?
Old 17-04-2012

The carbon rear gearbox and the new shaft both look great.

The amount of time and effort (and money by the looks of things) you guys have put into the ZX-R (and derivatives) is amazing.
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
Hurry up and test it, im wondering if it will fit to be honest as the design has two gaps between the bearing and the pulley so am hoping it fits with zero movement left or right, with enough freedom to give the car plenty of free movement before it stops (no motor pinion attached to do this). Makes the car very efficient and means more run time.

Let us know how it goes.
well, the fixed pulley will be mount on with a grub nut (set screw), while the one way (front pulley) is to be stayed in play with the e-clips. That should prevent anything from moving around.

The follow picture should clear some uncertainties:

Kyosho TF6 SP
Kyosho Plazma Ra
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
well, the fixed pulley will be mount on with a grub nut (set screw), while the one way (front pulley) is to be stayed in play with the e-clips. That should prevent anything from moving around.

The follow picture should clear some uncertainties:

Still puzzled. If using on my gearbox it will move as the bearing is supporting it all in place so may make more sense seeing it prebuilt before you put into your car
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
That's interesting to know...I only came to know of the ZX-S recently.

Funny that the TRF511 and Yokomo Bx are so similar. The Yoko came before the TRF511 aswell.

Anyway, why wasn't the ZX-S pushed forward despite it's obvious potential and pedigree?
The car was very competitive on clay and dust and won the japanese nationals ahead of reigning worlds champion Masami. Also made the worlds A final as well but kyosho opted for shaft drive as everyone was moving in that direction but did after pressure from loyal supporters in japan they released a limited number specifically for them, tower hobbies also managed to get 100 as well. Also wasnt cost effective as each was £500 a piece so can understand why it didnt get made. The car after the zxs was half zxs (front) and rear was gear drive train, and wasnt any good.
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick View Post
The carbon rear gearbox and the new shaft both look great.

The amount of time and effort (and money by the looks of things) you guys have put into the ZX-R (and derivatives) is amazing.
Cheers, this is after the shock towers, L brace, top decks, chassis' and my best design to date, the tub chassis. Not including getting kamtec to make molds for the lazer zxs shell and undertray and recentlly tomcat shell.
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-04-2012

No worries, The forum has been/is great reference material and my ZX-R is turning out to be shockingly average compared to your cars (though some of Fibre Lyte's parts will most likely be finding their way on to my car).

I check ebay daily for parts and cars.

I think the plan for my car is to get it running correctly, so everything is how it should be and work from there. I have tried to rebuild my car so I have a good solid base to work from and then see where it takes me.

I don't have any real plans to race my ZX-R but I also don't want it to be shoddy like some of the bashed up RC cars you see the kids ruining in my street from time to time.

I think the next mods to mine will the rear shock tower like you suggested and one up and running I like the look of the RW Racing spur gear and changing to ball cups on the steering as they look more modern. Oh! and paint the shell, will be doing that myself so will be keeping it simple.

Will keep you posted and provide pics.
Old 17-04-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Guys, ok here are my pics of what I have done so far. FYI the chassis is the same one I broke in January but have copied the ZX-S design and made my own three piece chassis, ok badly but at least I can test before the chassis totally dies. There is flex but minimal at the moment. May do until my tubs done.

Still I couldn't take pics of the pivot block holding it in however its all fitted flush to the chassis and fells quite nice. There is freedom in the drive train and I had to use a shim on either side of the rear diff to get it perfectly balanced and fitted. Only issue now is the slipper will slip big time so now need a layshaft to fit so hoping that ones available soon for some serious testing.

Oh yeah, blue looks stunning on this Oosh123

loving the car, oh i wish i had the same rear gearbox housing
Old 17-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick View Post
No worries, The forum has been/is great reference material and my ZX-R is turning out to be shockingly average compared to your cars (though some of Fibre Lyte's parts will most likely be finding their way on to my car).

I check ebay daily for parts and cars.

I think the plan for my car is to get it running correctly, so everything is how it should be and work from there. I have tried to rebuild my car so I have a good solid base to work from and then see where it takes me.

I don't have any real plans to race my ZX-R but I also don't want it to be shoddy like some of the bashed up RC cars you see the kids ruining in my street from time to time.

I think the next mods to mine will the rear shock tower like you suggested and one up and running I like the look of the RW Racing spur gear and changing to ball cups on the steering as they look more modern. Oh! and paint the shell, will be doing that myself so will be keeping it simple.

Will keep you posted and provide pics.
Great. Any difficulties let us know, so we can help.
Answer UK team driver
Old 19-04-2012

Default Car is here, starting assembly

Hi guys! So the car is here and I started the assembly of it. Here is a link to the topic:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99011
Old 19-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
loving the car, oh i wish i had the same rear gearbox housing
Ron,

Hopefully whan the layshafts done i will finish the design by posting on the fibrelyte site for the cf parts. Its the pivot block, alloy poles and lock nut washers that are next on the agenda so whoever wants it can.
Answer UK team driver
Old 19-04-2012

i was expecting a reply form the machinist this week but infortunately my office email is out since monday, and it still may not come back by tommorow which is friday. Oeli, you can contact me through hotmail.
oh yesi finally got the blue steering parts, and installing it was a breeze ! i got rid of bumpsteer almost immediately !
Old 19-04-2012

Just putting everything together.

Thanks for Welshy for the rear gear box.

Doesn't it look just like a dead cow?
Kyosho TF6 SP
Kyosho Plazma Ra
Old 19-04-2012

That all looks very good. Is that the FS2 suspension mounts in there with the inserts? If so is there any chance you could alter the RF and the FF blocks positions so that you can run the modern arms and suspension pins from the FS2 then i would defo have one of them. It's what I'm trying to do in my spare time.
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 20-04-2012

Wow oosh nice job.

My car is done, will post the pics tomorrow. I haven't done the body yet though.