Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 28-07-2010
Mad Member

Russ, i run LiFe in my 6T, when fully charged its 7.2v, your correct, there is not the same problem as with LiPo and the running low or catching on fire.

Paul, i think Jon is talking about running the motor in whilst its in a bowl of water,its meant to make them run better i think .

If we go down the route of the Mardave's, will we still be running micro's,there are a few that run now and some people may not want to spend more on another class.

I think it would be a good idea to have pole on this, either at the club or a mail shot to the members to decide,they could reply with a simple yes/no.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If we go down the route of the Mardave's, will we still be running micro's,there are a few that run now and some people may not want to spend more on another class.
It was not our intention to stop the micros. The idea was to introduce this as an additional class but aimed at a low cost, high fun class of racing.

Thankfully we are all discussing the merits and potential rules here which is great as we'd like to have rules in place before start going off and spending any money.

It's where we went wrong with the micros, but that's not to say we are dropping micros.

At the end of the day, we shall see what happens if or when we start running Mardaves. At the end of the day it is our members that dictate what we race...
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Paul, i think Jon is talking about running the motor in whilst its in a bowl of water,its meant to make them run better i think .
Yeah you are right Ross. From what I've read it a trick used on sealed silver can motors. You basically submerge the motor in water (maybe with some motor spray mixed in) and then run in via a 3v power supply. It is meant to break in the brushes and the bushing and give greater performance. But apparently also just spraying a bit of WD40 on the comm works really well too. This just brings back memories of brushed 27T motors and all the tricks you could do with them

Success ballast? It a good idea if we could get it to work I think one of the problems would be is that everyone is running different weights for their cars anyway. I mean you would have to ask Andy but last time I spoke to him there was a good range of car weights. Also the placement of the weight changes things too. It could work in the Mardave/Mini class though due to them having a simpler construction and layout.

At one of my old clubs we used a different qualifying format which we could try to shake things up a bit. Basically the practise was timed (like Scott has set up on the screen atm) and then everyones fastest lap decided the order of the grid, we then had 3 x 5 min finals per race night. This was done across 7 nights so there was 21 rounds with only so many counting. Just a suggestion
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedsrcmcc View Post
Reverse grids wouldn't work Russ. You can imagine what will happen, a go slow approach in the heats to secure pole in final and then run away with a win...

I think the success ballast idea is workable and might be worth discussing further though...
Wouldn’t this would still happen if you used ballast? People would hold back knowing they don’t want the extra weight in a final? Or are we saying that the winner from the week before would have to carry the ballast for the whole of the next meeting?

We could award extra points to qualifying positions to stop people holding back if ballast or reversed guide was used. I.e. the fastest person get 10 extra points, second 9 and so on. Or is this what we do already- I cant remember

Last edited by ek9russ; 29-07-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 29-07-2010

I don't think success ballast is practical. It makes the scrutineers job way too hard to be worth it for a friendly club night. Reverse grid is not as bad an idea as long as you can score some point from qualifying too (maybe not as many as the final but something that makes it worth going for a higher position)

Having said all that, I don’t think it’s such a big problem. Are people not getting good enough racing that you feel that such things are necessary in order to keep the racing close and/or interesting? In competition there will naturally be those who excel more than others and that’s something we have to accept.

Back to the Mardave thing, I think 4 cell Ni-mh or 1S Lipo should be the way to go as it’s the standard across the rest of the country and it works well for them. The whole point of what we started discussing is that it’s cheap, fun and close racing, lets keep it basic and simple and you can’t fail. The Micro lipo deliver high voltage but have small capacity. That makes it more likely that you could run them to a lower voltage and damage them with an ESC that doesn’t have a cut out. Life cells were mentioned and it may well become the future but it isn’t yet I don’t think and won’t be for a few years yet.

Will 1S lipo be too slow with only 3.7V nominal and 4.2 when charged? Maybe... But isn’t that somewhat the point of this class? Even the 4 Cell cars go at a good speed and so for a small track like Bromham, you may find that 1S Lipo works really well. It can stay consistent for everyone (we all know little tricks which can boost the voltage of Ni-mh packs to gain more punch at the beginning of a race) and should be easy to maintain as most are now comfortable with Lipo use. As Russ says, a 4cell Ni-Mh packs can be had for about £15 each with 1S Lipo packs not costing a lot more (unless you are trying to buy crazy powerful ones) and so it won’t be a big issue for cost.

For those who go down the Mardave route and have a 1S Lipo setup, you could always look to introduce 12th scale racing for the future as it would be similar in concept and layout whilst still using 1S Lipo/4 Cell Ni-Mh.
Old 29-07-2010

We should make sure all cars have a tow hitch fitted!

Top runners will have to have a caravan attached
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashiriya View Post
Are people not getting good enough racing that you feel that such things are necessary in order to keep the racing close and/or interesting? In competition there will naturally be those who excel more than others and that’s something we have to accept.
I think you are right Maz, probably best to get a new class set up in the first instance and not overcomplicate it. It will have it's own natural hurdles to jump over first. Then if in time we think it needs spicing up we can look ballast and reverse grids. Depending on how successful it is, we may want to have a stock class with straight forward rules (focussing the new comers/ kids) and a 'pro' class or summut that is more geared towards the touring car drivers who want to run a second class (The Caterham Cup - Caterhams with lipo's and brushless motors, yes Scott, Craig and Chris, I can read your minds )...

I must say I think this in depth consultation on the forum is really healthy, hopefully it will transfer to some quality racing.
Old 29-07-2010
oOple Advertiser

All of these ideas that are supposedly designed to "make the racing closer" are simply a way of making the quick guys slower.

Unfortunately the best drivers will always win, I don't see the point in reversing the grid, ballasting up the pole man etc, just do your best in qualifying and race from where you end up, then see if you can beat the best driver. What's the point in TQing the meeting only to be put at the back of the grid and beaten by slower people taking you out?

The same goes for limiting the power, not using lipo's or brushless etc. As soon as you try to make a "stock" or governed class you will get people who are trying to get an edge .......... or cheat, if put bluntly.

In the case of the Tamiya Mini there's only so much you can do to the car in the way of performance before it becomes undriveable so why not let people put in whatever speedo, servo and cells they want but keep the crap motor that comes with the kit? If someone is running dogbones or UJ's I don't consider that as being unfair, it's just slightly easier to drive, the same goes for the ball diff ........... a novice with none of this fitted or all of this fitted is going to be at the same level regardless. The best driver on the night may probably have all the upgrades but it's not making him win, it's his driving that's doing that.

People soon get bored with "stock" classes and before long you will have a host of people who want to start a "pro" class. If this happens you'll have touring cars, micro's, Mardave's, Stock/Pro Mini's .......... good luck in fitting that all into a Friday evening Scott

Mardave's are the cheapest option but there's no reason why you shouldn't let people use lipos as they are no more expensive than NiMhs as you only need one pack and balance chargers cost less than £20 from Hong Kong. You can buy a charger, Lipo and the totally unnecessary lipo sack for less than £40 delivered to your door. NiMhs will cost around a fiver each (you'll need more than one) and they'll need to be discharged properly and stored if you are going to keep them for any period of time. Far more NiMhs have exploded over the years and have caused more injuries etc than Lipos ever will.

Club racing was transformed for the average racer with lipo's/brushless etc, why go backwards?
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPI Paul View Post
Caterhams with lipo's and brushless motors, yes Scott, Craig and Chris, I can read your minds )....
Paul,

I really have no interest in brushless for this class. I'm fully behind the basic tin can motor and nothing else. As Maz rightly says, it will be more than enough fun with those motors on our tracks at the hall.

I'm asking that we consider the options of LiPo simply because I and others believe they are more user friendly than conventional cells. I do not want to live in a nanny state, and I agree with what Alec has said about LiPo's, the hysteria about LiPo's is simply getting out of hand, not just at our club but in the hobby of rc cars. They've been used in aero models for a long time now and LiPo's are also appearing in other electrical items that get charged on a regular basis.

As I've said before, anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly but let's not stir up what is basically a false claim that LiPo's are dangerous. If they were as bad as some would have you believe they would never be sold to the general public. As for the World Championships, you say yourself the cause was incorrect use, not the actual stability or not of the battery in question.

Fair enough, I always watch over my young son when he connects, charges and disconnects the LiPo, that to me is being sensible. As his father, if I thought they were dangerous I wouldn't let him anywhere near them.

Someone could fall off the stage and break an arm or leg

Don't get me wrong Paul, I appreciate your concerns and understand you want to ensure that we have a safe environment to enjoy the sport, but I think we need to put the danger into context. Millions of LiPo's are sold worldwide and I'm not aware of any major injury or death to a human from them. There are other items in our tool boxes that have caused far worst injuries...

If the BRCA make it mandatory that a club affiliated with them must use 'Nanny Bags' then it will be a very sad day for the hobby

Anyway, off my soap box now and back to the Mardave discussion
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek9russ View Post
Wouldn’t this would still happen if you used ballast? People would hold back knowing they don’t want the extra weight in a final? Or are we saying that the winner from the week before would have to carry the ballast for the whole of the next meeting?

We could award extra points to qualifying positions to stop people holding back if ballast or reversed guide was used. I.e. the fastest person get 10 extra points, second 9 and so on. Or is this what we do already- I cant remember
I think playing with the points system is both limited by the computer software we run, but also will become very confusing - look what happened the last time we tried to be clever with the scoring

The scoring system works perfectly well at the moment - we qualify for a final and then score just in that single final, It's simple, easy to follow for all club members and has worked well for us now all year. If you have a poor final then that's just tough luck!

My thoughts on the success ballast was for it to be fitted to the winning car, or maybe the top 3 throughout their next meeting. If a driver wins one week but misses the next week, he/she will still have to have the weight added the next time they race. Maybe the club should have a set of equal sized weights that we hand out - how we fix to the chassis, well we can think about that later...

I agree Alec that often the best drivers still come to the top, but there is no harm in us trying it to see how it works out.

Regarding countersunk screws and and chassis - is that something you could offer to customers Russell? I'd be happy to assist anyone who would need the kit chassis' screw holes to be countersunk but of course we'd need a good supply of countersunk screws Russell

Can I suggest an idea about the success ballast? If we do decide to run Mardaves and we can all come to agreement on rules, that we look to run a trial championship during the Autumn Championships with no trohpies awarded. That way, there is no pressre on drivers to push too hard and we can see if the ballast idea works or not, without effecting the outcome of a drivers position regarding points.
Old 29-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
People soon get bored with "stock" classes and before long you will have a host of people who want to start a "pro" class. If this happens you'll have touring cars, micro's, Mardave's, Stock/Pro Mini's .......... good luck in fitting that all into a Friday evening Scott
I have to disagree with you Alec.

At a club I ran a long time ago we used to run the original Mardave Mini's, all stock, nothing fancy and we raced like that for years. No one ever got bored because it was great fun. That's the thing, this is not about out and out performance (that's why we have TCs) it's simply about having fun.

I want to encourage the fun aspect for this class if we as a club introduce them.
Old 30-07-2010

This is a nice little ESC we could use in the Mardaves and as it's only running the tin can motor it'll never be overloaded

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/340.html

Cheap for under £30

Is this 4 cell pack suitable with the above speedo?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=33628

At that kind of price then 4 cell packs would be acceptable to me...
Old 30-07-2010

I am sure that there are many ESC's out there that are sub £30, even sub £20 that are perfectly suitable. Perhaps we should look at the one that is an option with the mardave kits which will probably be most cost effective. The mtroniks one I was running tonight was about £17 from ebay.

Scott, I think that battery pack is for operating radio gear only, it has quite a low capacity. Try these bad boys: http://www.futureworldmodels.com/aca...fo_101935.html

This is what I was using and seemed to have no issues with 2 rounds of racing.

Incidently, the test on the micro lipo packs was not very conclusive - they were quicker... I still think too quick and the motor got quite hot. What did you think Craig?

I am going to do a bit of a costing exercise for next week looking at a typical set up, and what potential there is for it to get out of hand. I think there is ony so much you can spend on them, but would be useful to have it written down on a piece of paper. This should hopefully fuel a discussion on the way forward.

Also, when I bring the mardave next week, think it would be good for more people to try it, so anyone who is interested can take turns each round and see what you think.

Paul
Old 31-07-2010

Those Losi batteries are for there micro range of cars, 1/36th scale. There about the size of a 50p coin

Paul have you had a look at the rules for the V12 series on the Mardave site? http://mardaveonline.co.uk/2010Circu...sBRCARules.pdf
I think they would work for us with a small tweak (depending on what we do regarding batteries)

The main points:
Any brushed speedo with reverse with a RRP under £69.00
Must use the Mardave G2 brushed motor
Any 4.8 NiCad or Nimah cells
Old 31-07-2010

Default Lipo's

Hi guys my mini i chucked together last night hadn't been used for twenty years and the tyres were knackered £20 speedo off rus with a £4 lipo alarm no diff with a bit of additive it was great fun so the v12's im well up for batterys still a problem the lipo alarm started flashing in the second round to say it was getting low so doubt really it would run 2 heats (shame) and thinking about it if every other club is running for cells why cant we. I don't think 1 cell lipo's would be any good, but mr mardave is now selling a brushless package so is this the future. conclusion don't know lol firstly we all want to use russ assuming he becomes reliable, only messing russ so can you price a club package for us kit and deal secondly can paul run his without the modified ball diff you cheat see if its driveable mine was and being a mini quite a bit shorter thirdly lets ring some succesfull clubs and find out there opinions and options and fourthly lets get racing and sell all those expensive touring cars. ps i no i can't spell
Old 01-08-2010

Interesting about the LiPo, I think to be honest that the 4 cell route seems to be the way forward and talking to various people on Friday I think we are now coming ever closer to a set of rules to race to, so watch this space...
Old 02-08-2010

Default tyres

One point to add i as well as some others feel one type of controlled tyre is enough less expense and less options meaning everyone running the same unlike the three or four options now used on the touring cars carpet setup lets please keep it simple but ofcourse they will need glueing and truing which costs money kamtec want around £7 per wheel and tyre trued and glued
Old 03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig smith View Post
One point to add i as well as some others feel one type of controlled tyre is enough less expense and less options meaning everyone running the same unlike the three or four options now used on the touring cars carpet setup lets please keep it simple but ofcourse they will need glueing and truing which costs money kamtec want around £7 per wheel and tyre trued and glued
I would be happy to accept this and in fact I'd like to see us move to a single control tyre for Touring Cars in 2011. Gives everyone currently racing enough time to use what they already have before getting a new set. That way from 2011 all cars are running on the same tyre which removes the worry of having to have lots of different tyres. Most other clubs use 1 type...
Old 07-08-2010
Mad Member

Any news on whats happening kits/battery wise ?

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 07-08-2010

Quote:
Any news on whats happening kits/battery wise ?
We will have some news on exactly what we are going to do in a couple of weeks at the very latest - watch this space...