Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: What is your view of reduced carbon footprint for an R/C product?
I have no interest in reduced carbon footprint and/or I will always go for a lower price. 61 74.39%
I am interested in reduced carbon footprint but cannot afford it. 4 4.88%
If two products have a similar price, a reduced carbon footprint will be a decisive advantage. 12 14.63%
I am willing to pay a slightly higher price for a product with reduced carbon footprint. 5 6.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2010

Default Do you racers have any interest in carbon footprint?

Hi all,

Here's the question: What would you think if a manufacturer was to bring a car that was manufactured with the aim of reducing the carbon footprint?

Obviously this would lead to different production countries and ultimately to higher production costs.
Old 01-09-2010

The best way to improve the carbon footprint of this hobby is to build a track on every street corner!
Old 01-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I'm trying to build a track, but finding the land is proving harder than I thought
Old 01-09-2010

Please guys this is not about where we race, I suggest if you want to talk about this you open a dedicated thread. We would like to know if a manufacturer has any interest in being environmentally friendly, where the cars are raced afterwards cannot be controlled by a manufacturer.
Old 01-09-2010

Couldn't give 2 hoots, to be honest - I'll buy the best product I can afford, no matter where it comes from.

If a well designed product happens to have a lower carbon footprint because a. the production techniques are modern, therefore b. the equipment is newer/uses less energy in production (not a certainty) and c. it doesn't break too much so you don't need to make lots of additional spares for it, I'd just say that's good quality manufacturing techniques which will help sell a product because it's reliable and well developed.

If the manufacturer gets a return on their investment in buying low energy machinery all well and good, but carbon footprint for most racers really I can't see being a major issue - particularly for nitro racers, or anyone running li-pos etc with precious metals in them!

My 2p as someone who studied manufacturing engineering and loves racing 8th scale nitro.

I hear what you're saying ref having local production to avoid carbon from transporting goods, but that means you need more tooling making, which uses quite a lot of energy in its own right. If the net result is an average product for more cost, people will vote with their wallets in this cut throat industry.
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

The only thing I would like to see is if the plastic used on some of the parts could be recycled. I reuse as many of my rims by using acetone and removing the tyres but I do see a lot of rims thrown away and there must be a way of recycling those. Also a lot of parts we have to throw away are usually just cracked but the rest of the plastic is still good.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 01-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I can't work out if this is a real thread or not... but here goes....

The biggest impact of manufacturing, is transporting goods to different countries, most are shipped by sea or land, to not do this, would mean having manufacturing on each continent at least, and then every mould would have to be made at least 5 times, then you got local tolerances... then, for moulded items, you got to get the raw material to the locations to. So instead of one plant turning out, you want five smaller, less efficient ones?

The only way to reduce footprint efficiently, is manufacturers to have a 'recycling' facility, so your broken parts can go back, be ground down and possibly re-used, especially tyres.... but then you have to ship the worn/broken stuff back?
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

Not that simple, as rubber is a one use kind of material.
Old 01-09-2010

Shame there isn't an option in the vote for "I have no interest in reduced carbon footprint and/or I will always go for the most competitive model". It is a noble thought and maybe for bashers it might be more of a consideration, but in any form of racing performance is king. If it is recyclable but slower then a very small percentage from the already very small market would choose to race them.

If it is the same quality, or even better then there is some hope, but I think you would have to show a detailed breakdown of the carbon footprint to show it is a substantial improvement.

just my 2 pennies

Ben
Old 01-09-2010
Mad Member

We've been saving all our broken parts to make into a trophy for the most ham-fisted driver at our meetings, does this count as re-cycling .

Clown
Old 01-09-2010

Mr bobby you are wrong to think that the use of the item you design is of your concern. Designers need to consider that in their initial specifications. Where are the models we buy used the most? The track or the park will be the most common answers. How do you get there? On the train, bus or by car.

There's no point in having a model that uses little carbon in manufacture when you need to burn fuel to use it!

I think a massive can of worms has been opened here.

My opinion is why should I care about my footprint when there are companies spilling oil, cutting down rainforests etc etc. Some will think that's the wrong attitude but I'm sure there are many who agree with me.
Old 01-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
My opinion is why should I care about my footprint when there are companies spilling oil, cutting down rainforests etc etc. Some will think that's the wrong attitude but I'm sure there are many who agree with me.
It all got to start somewhere..... I mean, at home trying to save energy and what not benefits me directly, as more money in my pocket.
Old 01-09-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

get a grip its a toy car for god sake
Old 01-09-2010

Default joke

Recycling parts that weigh a few grams?

Do you really think this will help the environment? Seriously?

Thats like turning up at a massive earthquake with a dustpan and brush.
Old 02-09-2010

Ok guys I understand you all have your ideas on what's best, but the question is simple and straihgtforward and only relates to manufacturing, which is the only thing that can be controlled by the manufacturer.
Old 02-09-2010
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

For model car racing? I couldn't care about the carbon footprint one bit! The government screw me out of so much tax on just about everything they should be able to have a bigger impact on the carbon footprint with the vast money they roll over than a race car could ever!

Last edited by PaulRotheram; 02-09-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So I buy low energy light bulbs, because it saves on electrickery bill. I consider tax band and mpg when buying a car - because I can't afford to tax, fuel or insure it otherwise.

I am not given a choice, as I can't afford to not consider my carbon footprint, but if I could afford to (aware of carbon footprint too), id still want to drive a fuel guzzler, id drive it the long way to places with the fun pedal pressed hard to enjoy it too. Id also want halogen light bulbs, leave them on willy nilly like a proper rebel.

Global warming may exist, the level is exagerated so the public can be scared (brain washed) - and then the government can justify taxing us for it without loosing popularity.... its all a con.

So back on topic. Given the choice of an RC car vs RC car made enviro friendly - id choose whichever was the better RC car AND best value for money, ignoring the enviro thing.
Old 02-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Bobby View Post
Hi all,

Here's the question: What would you think if a manufacturer was to bring a car that was manufactured with the aim of reducing the carbon footprint?

Obviously this would lead to different production countries and ultimately to higher production costs.
So if we all bought these cars manufactured with the aim of reducing the carbon footprint, the higher production costs would of course be passed onto us. While we then would feel quite proud to have done our bit to save the world the CEO of these companies would be taking their higher profits and screaming down the road in the biggest fastest fuel guzzling car they could buy with our money cancelling out our bit to save the world.
Your on a loser here mate, try another forum.
Old 02-09-2010
Mad Member

I have to disagree here. Not debating about what the government blah blah blah because I don't care about that.

The idea of reducing carbon footprint is that if everyone makes a small effort, it will have a HUGE impact overall, regardless of it being a person or an industry.

No matter what you think we ARE putting out huge amounts of carbon dioxyde into the atmosphere, there is no harm in trying to reduce this, right?

So why knock someone down if they intend to reduce the carbon footprint of manufacturing their product?
Old 02-09-2010
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

I dont think any one is knocking any one down here, I think its due to the fact people struggle with how the current climate is. People are struggling at the moment, with the government charging us for everything, prices pretty much everywhere going up, BESIDE our wages!

Times are tight, if someone is in the situation where they are comfortable and can warrent the cost to be eco friendly then go for it.. as for my self and many others, ill keep penny pinching however I can, at what ever needs necessary to keep me going.