Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 25-06-2012

Default My SC10 keeps blowing its rear hub bearings !

As title says, has happened twice now, bearings in the rear left hub carrier are blown to bits after a short time driving! Mis-shaped hub carrier maybe ?
Old 25-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Use B44 rear hubs, you'll need the hubs, outer bearings and crush tube.

The B44 hubs have a larger outer bearing so should last you longer.

Go on AE website and get the part numbers from the manual, most Uk shops have AE stuff, Dms, Ralls Racing, JE, MB etc etc

HTH

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 25-06-2012

Thanks mate, will check them out
Old 25-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've recently had both bearings on one side disintegrate whist racing in my B4.1 FT WE. I've got the newer FT 0deg ali rear hubs with the larger outer bearing, which I believe are the same parts as the B44(.1):

One thing I did notice, and attribute as the cause is the play in each hub and outer hinge pin, which is loose in the hub, and not the wishbone. There was also play of the bearings outer race in the ali hub carrier. This was present from new build.

I resolved this by drilling and tapping the bottom hinge pin carrier, and tightening it up with an M3 grub screw, which solved the hinge pin play by keeping it tight on the ali, and allowing the plastic wishbone to wear instead. I also seated the bearing in the carrier with a light smear of blue tamiya threadlock to seal the bearing outers in place. This took care of the bearing play and ensured the bearings don't rotate in the hub. It's also easy to push the bearing out when needed. The last thing I did was put two more shims in each axle to get rid of the last bit of play. It's all play free now, so hopefully my replacement bearings will last a bit longer.

I'll add my gut feeling is that the play in everything out the box is there to allow your parts to wear quickly, requiring spares to be purchased.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 26-06-2012

Cool, very interesting mate, sealing the bearings in place is a good idea I think !?
Old 26-06-2012

I think your problems come from misbalanced wheels. Of course it's worse with heavier SC wheels. Try balanced wheels, it makes a big difference with handling too.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 27-06-2012

I was having issues with the bearings wearing out rather quickly on my SC10 as well, switched to Acer for their ceramic bearings and havent had to change them since I installed back in december. Perhaps AE had a bad batch of bearings.
Old 27-06-2012

Great cheers guys, gonna look into those acer bearings, have also ordered some aluminium hub carriers, these stock ones are looking a bit chewed up inside !
Old 29-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I resolved this by drilling and tapping the bottom hinge pin carrier, and tightening it up with an M3 grub screw, which solved the hinge pin play by keeping it tight on the ali, and allowing the plastic wishbone to wear instead.
I was PM'd, questioning the mod I'd done to the hubs, so here is a picture:

I measured accurately the centres using a digital vernier gauge, then accurately drilled a 2.5mm hole with help of a pedestal drill. I then used a series of M3 taps to cut the thread. Fished off assembly with threadlock on the grubscrew. This mod keeps the lower hinge pins locked to tight the hubs, and allows the pin to move in the plastic wishbone, rather than wear in the hub. it also removes the play of the hub on the hinge pin, which on my new build was a lot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 29-06-2012
Mad Member

Also does away with the need for the tiny screw which keeps the outer pivot pin captive in the wishbone........
Old 29-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Also does away with the need for the tiny screw which keeps the outer pivot pin captive in the wishbone........
Yes it does, but i've kept mine in. Not that bothered about saving weight. More is better these days, right ;-)
Old 30-06-2012

Great stuff cheers guys, am just waiting for some Ali hub carriers to arrive, I have noticed my stock hub carrier has very slightly misshaped from the first bearings blowing, have put some cheap metal shielded bearings in to keep it running until all the new stuff turns up.

Thanks again