Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 23-02-2013

Default Starting out suggestions

Ordered myself a Kyosho Mp9 TKI3, as I am going to get into the 1/8th scene. Now, as a newbie to nitro, I am not quite convinced I need a top end engine at the moment as I am probably going t be butchering it for the first couple of weeks. So, any engine and pipe suggestions? Second, servos are needed, so any suggestions on these? Currently have a savox 1257 in my 1/10th buggy and never had a problem with it so happy to stick with this brand. Finally, starter boxes, any suggestions?

Budget, 500ish for the lot, but can go higher if needed.

Cheers.
Old 24-02-2013
Mad Member

If you like Savox a 1256 and a 1258 will be fine for steering and stop / go. Make sure you're using Nimh or LIFE packs, if you get a lipo and don't have a converter on it you can burn the servo out as there will be too much power going into it.

Starter box, SMD ones are good but you'll be fine with the Fastrax one.

Engine wise, you could go for an Alpha or an Argus, they're decent and won't break the bank.

So the servo's should cost you about £57 each, that's £114 of your budget, then a starter box will be about £60, you will need a power source for it though, you can get little lead batteries which will be fine, I got one for £15 or you can power it from a lipo, if you do make sure you upgrade the wiring.

This engine comes with it's own pipe - http://www.jemodels.com/nitro-models...ategory_id=264 Will be perfectly good for your first season, or for a bit more money you could have one of these - http://www.futureworldmodels.com/aca...21_A852AP.html

Where are you going to be racing ? Get along and ask people what engines they're using and see if they hold their tune and are easy to work on, as well as what pipes go best with them.

Don't forget you'll need glow plugs, glow starter, fuel bottle, fuel, plug spanner and if it stays this cold an engine heater is recommended, also useful for running in ! Hope that helps, I'd get a long to where you're going to be racing though.

My paintwork thread
Old 26-02-2013

I am based In Shrewsbury, so shall be hitting Frankley, Coventry, Bromsgrove, Ledbury, and this new place Up in Cheshire (storm valley) when it opens.

I think I will go with the Savox servos which are lipo compatible, the 1258MTG I think.

Thanks for the engine advice; both look reasonable enough for my first season in nitro. I will look to upgrade once I have figured out how to tune the engine, drive the thing around the track etc!

Thanks.
Old 27-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to Pownabown

I think engine wise you would be best going for something like the new bullit 217. Much more reliable than most other engines and now very price competitive
Old 27-02-2013

Thanks for this suggestion. If I went the Bullit route, have you any pipe suggestions to go with it?
Old 27-02-2013

Pipe wise Most people go with a jp4 i think. defo go with the HV servo savox 1268 for both you could go 1267 i use these and a LRP lipo and can get around 60 min out of it. And pick a feul you can get your hands on easy
starter box SMD with lipo inside i use 3s some use 4s the mugen boxs are surposed to be good aswell
There is also a track in bicton heath near shrewsbury mostly grass surface
Old 27-02-2013

Thanks for the suggestion.

On the topic if fuel, I presume I can just order this online right? Are engines favourable to altering fuel, or should one just stick with the same brand and consistency throughout its life?

I have seen that track in Shrewsbury (the guy who runs it goes to Oswestry 1/10th meetings) but I got the impression it was only open about 5 times a year for their racing series. I was going to enter this, think the first meeting is 14th of April, which gives me a bit of time to get this thing built and run in.
Old 27-02-2013
Mad Member

If you're going for a Bullitt engine I would recommend Piranha fuel.... HOWEVER fuel isn't always that easy to get hold of so I would see what you can buy locally as not everywhere will send it out. If there is a shop at one of the tracks you can get to see what they stock, then once you're started try and keep to the same fuel, if you can't get same brand make sure you get same nitro content.

Servo wise as has been posted above the sixty series of Savox will work with Lipo's but the 56 & 58 I suggested initially won't unless you have a converter. So make sure you get the right servo's or the converter !

My paintwork thread