Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 08-01-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio
Default Is the TLR22 not proving that popular

Browsing the For Sale section the 22 seems to be the most popular car people are selling. And lots of them are effectively described as "hardly used". Does anybody have any thoughts about this? Does the car not suit our UK style tracks or something? Is it difficult to work on? There must be some reason people aren't willing to persevere with them beyond the usual fact that as a group we are suckers for the Next Big Thing and the 22 may be seen as last years car.
Old 08-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think the losi sold by the truck load as at the price every one wanted to try it..and with rear mid options just couldn't go wrong, BUT maybe it's not for everyone,I have one and I have to say I just can't seem to settle with it.just can't find that settled sweet spot that I had with a B4

Cougar was simmilar, so many years of looking at a B4 many people wanted change, the cougar was it, good stable, dedicated mid motor kit, had to be a hit sold by the truck load.....one of the worst cars to ever hit the market...sorry,

Now people are being drawn to the durango offerings

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 09-01-2012

Same old thing a few top club racers jump ship the sheep follow.
Ive stayed with my 22 and just driven it.
Old 09-01-2012

I have to say my tlr22 is the best 2wd I have ever owned. Including ae and xfactory. It's so precise yet forgiving. It never takes much setting up. It's really easy to drive with a ton of grip. At batley indoor track (known to be like ice on the polished surface) my tyres were squeeling.
Too many people gave up with then when they didn't have the sweet spot setup wise. They wanted it to come out of the box perfectly set up but that doesn't happen overnight. Whilst the uk team did us a very fine job of giving us a starting point. It was never going to be perfect for everyone with the time and the weather conditions they had to work with.

If u have a 22 and are thinking of selling it. Pm me and I'll give u my setup. My car is as good as anything else out there at the min!!
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 09-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Before anyone starts, I don't think the chap started this thred to slam the 22,It's a good car. just wanted to see why some are selling...cars are like marmite, one person loves it, the other dislikes it..It depends on a lot of factors,possably the biggest ones being what tracks you race at, your style of driving..and your set up skills.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 09-01-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Before anyone starts, I don't think the chap started this thred to slam the 22,It's a good car. just wanted to see why some are selling...cars are like marmite, one person loves it, the other dislikes it..It depends on a lot of factors,possably the biggest ones being what tracks you race at, your style of driving..and your set up skills.
Exactly, I was just curious that's all, hope nobody does interpret it as a dig at the 22. The best result I've ever had was with a Losi (XXX-CR) so I've nowt against the brand. As I said in my first post it just struck me that there are an awful lot of them for sale and I know things like the Durango are "in" now but me being the simple sod I am I couldn't (and still can't) see the point of jumping out of say a 22 into something so similar. I suppose it just confirms my thoughts that as a group we often don't stick with things if they don't work immediately.
Old 09-01-2012

I have now acquired my second 22 to run in rear

I do know what the initial author meant. There are a lot of 22 on oople and I am surprised as anyone as I think as a design of a car goes it is pretty sweet. I guess the next thing is the centro but for value for money a 22 is cheap and the spares are cheap especially imported from the USA. I think my mid drives very similar to a 4wd car. This is my humble opinion.

I wonder if it is the lack of high profile losi drivers. I maybe wrong but 2wd has
X factory has Ellis Stafford
Associated centro has loads like Neil Cragg
Tamiya has lee Martin and Marc Reinhard
Durango has Hupo
Schumacher has Tom Cockerill

Please do not take offense but as promotion goes these guys are in racer with their cars. Losi never has a photo of a driver 'promoting' a car in the Uk. Not to just buy it, but to retain people driving it, upgrading in it, investing in it etc

Really interested in peoples opinion on this

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 09-01-2012
Mad Member

I couldn't agree more. I've owned my 22 since the launch and the more I drive it, the more I love it. It did have teething trouble at the start (no rear end grip) but since installing the Cream RC weight and moving the esc further back it is now perfectly balanced - despite running bald rear tyres. They are also unbelievaly tough.

Definately a car worth sticking with
Old 09-01-2012

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by martgifford View Post
I have now acquired my second 22 to run in rear

I do know what the initial author meant. There are a lot of 22 on oople and I am surprised as anyone as I think as a design of a car goes it is pretty sweet. I guess the next thing is the centro but for value for money a 22 is cheap and the spares are cheap especially imported from the USA. I think my mid drives very similar to a 4wd car. This is my humble opinion.

I wonder if it is the lack of high profile losi drivers. I maybe wrong but 2wd has
Durango has Hupo

Please do not take offense but as promotion goes these guys are in racer with their cars. Losi never has a photo of a driver 'promoting' a car in the Uk. Not to just buy it, but to retain people driving it, upgrading in it, investing in it etc

Really interested in peoples opinion on this

Umm no high profile drivers.......
One mr Darren Bloomfield maybe pretty sure he won the worlds warm up with the car and indoors recently has been winning quite a bit.
Sure correct me if i'm wrong guys but i'd say he a pretty good promotion for losi....

I've had my 22 since launch first batch, since owning it i have bought and sold a cougar, X6 and am now trying a centro back to back against it for my driving style and outright reliability / durability it wipes the floor with these 3!!

2wd : AE - B6D
4wd :

Old 09-01-2012

I do think its a very fashion and track thing tbh

I love my 22 outdoors with grip it was insanely good! Wen grip went it struggled but I have stuck with it

Since indoors again lower grip it struggled but I've changed fings and now its comin good, jus done speartooth today so that will be interesting again.

What u lack mayb in some areas you gain in others, 22 jumps insane and is so strong over others but mayb lacks grip at times but if like me jumpin is a weak point for me it works out quicker car.

Every car and race will suit different styles and cars it seems the losi doesn't suit everone but doesn't mean its for no one

I love it ! I now know what I have to do in terms of niggles so I won't change that's for sure!

Russ
Old 10-01-2012

Default 22 on clay

Hello all,

I bought the 22 as soon as it came out.
Unlike most people here I run on a clay track that
usually doesn't have high amounts of grip.
So I always run the car rear motor setup.
I really struggled to get the rear end to stick.
When the track was moist and grip levels were high the
car was really, really good.
Other guys were selling the 22 because they had the same
problems I did.
I stuck with it and after some experimenting the car is now
good even when grip levels are low.
But isn't setting up the car part of the hobby?
It did require a dremel............but the car has great feel and
is as durable as a sherman tank.
I even run the standard diff (the first one included with the kit).

Greetings

Hans
Old 10-01-2012

Its worth knowin what everyone who has stuck with it did to make the rear work in low grip

I did cream weight, lengthened links and shortened wheelbase as far as would go in mid format
Old 10-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG 40 View Post
I did cream weight, lengthened links and shortened wheelbase as far as would go in mid format
Same here, as well as making a metal bracket for esc to sit on above lipos
Old 10-01-2012
Mad Member

Cream weight, long links, short rear wheelbase, turned stuby lipo round 90degrees, Rudebits under lipo brass weight moved back till it's almost touching the motor. That got it to run at 4wd speeds on wet grass the last time I raced it at my local club, now got the gear diff to have a play with.
Old 10-01-2012

here is my current indoor setup as requested by a couple of members

in the file there is explanations as to why i have done certain things

my car is pretty stock with no modded parts all bits available off the rack

my car has stacks of grip the rear end is totally locked in

hope this helps

any questions just ask

steve
Attached Files
File Type: zip TLR0022_kirky-indoor2012.zip (233.9 KB, 168 views)
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 10-01-2012

thats very interesting that you use AE pads and spur.

As for set up looks like one ive used to use near enuf,

i find the anti squat on this car very interesting, you run 4 like i used to but everyone else seems to run low amounts, ive gone to 1 now and its different to drive but good.

I think antisquat on the losi depends on your driving style il try some more at players to see what difference it makes to me.

There are alot of losi's for sale lately but id say with new rango and vega / c4 theres just so many now to choose people do swap and change to se what suits them. Id say stick with a car for at least a year to give it time to adapt for your driving
Old 10-01-2012

The high antisquat is due to the fact that the car in mid form has stacks of side bite so the car is really stable and locked in on corner entry. But I find the the antisquat combined with the stood up rear shock creates boat loads of forward drive when u need it the most. Ie when you put the power down on corner exit.
Without this the car wants to kick out under acceleration

Ae spur and pads are night n day better than Losi
The adjustment range is so much larger. With Losi I found an 1/8th of a turn either way meant the difference between locked n slipping too much!!
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 10-01-2012

Very interestin mate, having jus gone speartooth as got cheap I will try current set up then progress with squat and shocks at players event to see difference

I think wen outdoors starts again various stuff will need to b reduced as its so good in grip conditions
Old 11-01-2012
Mad Member

There are a couple of 'problems' with the Losi 22, which is why there are plenty for sale.
First problem is that there isn't a large number of team drivers with race wins under their belt, so there isn't a ready database of good setups for UK tracks, while there is a choice for most other makes.
It used to be that drivers would get a new car, then spend time testing it to get the setup right for that driver, as before the internet there were no available setup sheets. Nowadays you buy the car then look up the team drivers setup for the type of track you are racing on, and that's it. If the setup doesn't work or there aren't setups available then most drivers are stuck and sell on the car for something else that works straight away rather than spending time to develop their own setup.

The other problem is timing. Losi release the 22 so there's now a relatively cheap alternative for a mid motored car, but then CML starts dominating with the C4.1 and Durango turns up with the DEX210 with much better support, so the "car to have" was no longer the 22, so everyone buys the new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martgifford View Post
Durango has Hupo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKOR33 View Post
Umm no high profile drivers.......
One mr Darren Bloomfield maybe pretty sure he won the worlds warm up with the car and indoors recently has been winning quite a bit.
Sure correct me if i'm wrong guys but i'd say he a pretty good promotion for losi....
JACKOR33, you have just proven martgiffords point, Darren Bloomfield isn't a big name in 1/10th right now and they don't have any other big names. How many of last years nationals did he run at and how many did Darren win? The only time he has made the news is the Worlds warm up, the fact that you know Darren has been winning at indoor meetings that don't generate lots of news headlines isn't that much good promotion at all.
Old 11-01-2012

I'm glad someone agrees with me. I noticed there are some drivers coming through in the TLR team its just I don't see them in Racer, holding the car, saying what they have won. Bare in mind I am talking about 1/10th electric 2wd, not 4wd, not nitro (which I think Darren is more well-known for).

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156