Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

Default have i picked the right car

i ran a little poll in the generel rc section to get some sort of idea what people were running and what was popular.
to be fair the schumacher was the most popular, but i decided to go for the durango.
since getting the car most people have started selling there durango's because of snapped drive pins and a few other problems.

now the question i have is have these problems been experienced by everyone or just a few, and is it a build problem or a manufacturing problem?

now if it's a manufacturing problem are durango going to do anything about it i.e. replace any fualty parts in kits already sold?

are there any tips on stopping these problems happening?

thanks.
Old 27-02-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

there are some build tips on the durango blog (site)
i built mine "properly" and have had no problems, which seems to be the general feeling

also not many elec offroaders have experience off building a gear diff and filling/sealing it correctly.

search on here for dave g drive shaft tip, and keep em lubed up

another tip is to make sure the slipper has some give, as this takes the knocks, not the pins

im a bit disapointed that the pins are being enlarged on the drive shafts in the R and later kits and exsisting owners wont be offered an upgrade pack tho. as they are after all being upgraded to make them more reliable, not as a performance advantage!
Old 27-02-2010

I've had no issues with mine at all, except for a CVD joint, which I hadn't built properly. IMHO this is a top quality racing product, and as such needs to be built properly.

A lot of people feel that its right to expect a new kit to run perfectly, but there will always be a few issues that will get resolved at the next release. This is no different from any other manufacturer. It's not often a new manufacturer comes to the surface with such a great product on the first attempt, but Team Durango have achieved this. Many of the other 'leading' manufacturers are now selling designs which have been developed over a long time and after many revisions.

I've built and run many of these and none of them have matched up to the quality and spec of the Durango. Like all new models; racers will need to learn how to set the durango up correctly to achieve the optimum results.

Their service and response time to queries is also very good (at least in my experience) and Adam Skelding is fully accessible to give advice and answer questions.

I don't understand why so many people are running the brand down. Maybe its because soooo many 'old skool' people have been beaten by this model when its been driven by lesser capable racers!! LOL!!

Follow the build thread on here and listen to the tips from the people who are using them. You'll have no issues.

You could look at it from a different angle; How many Cat SX's have you seen for sale on here??? (Fetch a calculator and start counting!!)
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...ab=AllFeedback
Old 27-02-2010

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

Mark,
like you posted if they are built correctly, they don't fail.
So us releasing the 2.0mm CVD set is a performance upgrade.
As for offering upgrade kits, you may be a bit previous in stating we aren't offering upgrades for current customers, it's something we are discussing.
But you seem to know better! Or you need to re-read your posts with your good eye before posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
there are some build tips on the durango blog (site)
i built mine "properly" and have had no problems, which seems to be the general feeling

also not many elec offroaders have experience off building a gear diff and filling/sealing it correctly.

search on here for dave g drive shaft tip, and keep em lubed up

another tip is to make sure the slipper has some give, as this takes the knocks, not the pins

im a bit disapointed that the pins are being enlarged on the drive shafts in the R and later kits and exsisting owners wont be offered an upgrade pack tho. as they are after all being upgraded to make them more reliable, not as a performance advantage!

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

Adam, when will the new driveshafts be out? not had a problem with mine so far, but better safe then sorry.
Old 27-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Skelding View Post
Mark,
like you posted if they are built correctly, they don't fail.
So us releasing the 2.0mm CVD set is a performance upgrade.
As for offering upgrade kits, you may be a bit previous in stating we aren't offering upgrades for current customers, it's something we are discussing.
But you seem to know better! Or you need to re-read your posts with your good eye before posting!
hi adam, i knew what i was typing, and i got the responce i was hoping for, many thanks dude!

cya tomorrow,
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

When will the new updated kits be available? I am still looking at getting either a Durango or a CAT SX2, this might swing me the Durango way
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

i only asked the question because so many people were saying how great this car WAS GOING to be before it hit the track.

now adam knows me and he knows i'v been racing for a very long time so i know how to build a car.

so when i get round to running the car in the next week or two, and once i'v ran it for a month or so i will report back here with any problems.

and also if i don't experience any problems i'll be the first one on here to shout down anyone who complained about it.
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

I've done a few pins, both drive and cvd. I CAN build stuff(mech engineer) so saying there all wrongly built isn't fair. I'm convinced that the new shafts will fix these problems once and for all. I've drilled my shafts and cvds out to 2mm and ran on wed night with much better reliability. I love this car to bits. Its easily the best thing I've owned. This was a small but tedious problem which I hope has gone away for ever. I'll be running tomorrow at Worksop with much more confidence in my car so fingers crossed she holds up with my mods. I'll be ordering the OE 2mm shafts as soon as they are available. Dont lose faith. There is nothing else on the market that rivals this car overall(my own opinion) so stick with it cos any replacement would be trading down.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 27-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
I've done a few pins, both drive and cvd. I CAN build stuff(mech engineer) so saying there all wrongly built isn't fair. I'm convinced that the new shafts will fix these problems once and for all. I've drilled my shafts and cvds out to 2mm and ran on wed night with much better reliability. I love this car to bits. Its easily the best thing I've owned. This was a small but tedious problem which I hope has gone away for ever. I'll be running tomorrow at Worksop with much more confidence in my car so fingers crossed she holds up with my mods. I'll be ordering the OE 2mm shafts as soon as they are available. Dont lose faith. There is nothing else on the market that rivals this car overall(my own opinion) so stick with it cos any replacement would be trading down.
do you need to do anything to the slot the pin moves in? (long slot in pic)

Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

The pins in the drive shafts were the only thing that looked like it wasn't quite up to the job I thought when I built my car.

2mm seems to be about the size that most other manufacturers use so I wonder why durango went with the smaller pin, especially with the amount of power thats available now.
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

When ever i look round the pits all i can see is cats having open heart surgery ( belts/ rough diffs/ lots of weird carbon bits/layshafts/radio gear/pots of screws and bent bits LOL)
my good mate just sold his and said he missed it as much as he missed peeing blood!
Old 27-02-2010

in my opinion sime46 and others are right when they say that this is one of the best 1:10 buggy out there. I really dont understand why someone that owns a Durango wants to sell it, the kit is "top of the line". When this car drives around you can see directly that it is something professional, stable and different to many others.
I never had trouble with the pins but I used them for a short time only, I have been using Tresrey now, and same here, no problems. The diff until today doesnt leak. Of course, this car is not perfect, but almost.
I dont think you can find a perfect car.
Lately I been having some troubles with the driveshaft boots, they keep falling off, and they get "kaputt" easily, but on the other hand, they costs just a couple of Euros and many other cars dont even have them.
I simply love this car.
Old 27-02-2010

i like mine to, only isues are the driveshafts at the rear, but i had mailed durango about it and they send me 2 outdrives and driveshafts for free.
the rest of the car is okey, but i have a little dought about the bearing and the rest of the axles.
I never had a rc car that drives this well and fun.
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

Hi mark. I dremelled the slots in the shafts to accept the 2mm pin. A little tricky but well worth it I think. Only thing that concerns me is that I did the whole lot by hand. The accuracy wouldve been much better if machined but this was a spur of the moment attempt to fix this little issue. If indeed it proves successful then I'll either machine mod some new ones or wait until TD release their new ones. With my quick mods I wonder if vibration caused by imperfect modding may be an issue. Can't wait to run it again tho. Roll on tomorrow.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 27-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Nobby, Frogger, I've run both the Cat and the Durango (current car) and beleive me, the DEX410 is a muc better car. Despite the odd issue with the pins, the DEX is way, way stronger than the Cat.
And its quicker, my results have improved lots since getting one.
Old 27-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
Nobby, Frogger, I've run both the Cat and the Durango (current car) and beleive me, the DEX410 is a muc better car. Despite the odd issue with the pins, the DEX is way, way stronger than the Cat.
And its quicker, my results have improved lots since getting one.
I loved my CAT when I had it I jut never had much chance to run it apart from at a few indoor races. I would love a Durango and I am now even more swayed because of hearing there will be some update.
Old 27-02-2010

Send a message via MSN to steel

Just thought i would speak out in this thread, I have read nearly every single durango topic and i have to say i bought 1 of the first kits out plus a lot of spares which i thought i needed for my 13 year old to replace various other 4wd cars he has had example cat-b44 and believe me he needed plenty of spares for them 2 lol any way he has had his durango now since they hit the track raced week in week out and has no problems what so ever apart from 1 roll pin i put in the wrong way round his laptimes have improved drasticly and all the spares i bought are still in the box so for me a bigit can only get better and well worth every penny
Old 28-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
...all the spares i bought are still in the box

Snap.
So are mine.
Old 28-02-2010

Im home early again due to stupid breakages.