Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 18-02-2007

Default My Dark Impact hates it's aerial tubes

I was at Tamiyaclub's Reading bash today and due to the position of the aerial, on top of the cockpit, I kept snapping the aerial.

Who makes the aftermarket metal aerial holders that move the position of the aerial?

Are they hard to fit?

Elliott.
Old 18-02-2007

Fastrax do them, they cost about 3 quid I think.
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

I have the same thing on my Keen Hawk (indifferent sparrow) - its not far from breaking after one days racing.
The keen was 'alright' by the end, running B4 shocks - I wasn't too impressed with the kit shocks or the tamiya hop-up shocks, both have rubbish pistons.
Old 19-02-2007
Amateur Member

Much More do them in various colours. You just drill and countersink wherever you want the antenna and Robert's your mums brother!
Here's the order link.
http://www.muchmoreracing.com/store/...eyword=antenna+
Old 19-02-2007

I was under the impression there would be some countersinking needed. Thanks Philly. It's useful to see a photo too.

You didn't like the upgraded shocks Jimmy? Did you bend a piston? I haven't bent one on the upgraded shocks yet.

Elliott.
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

Well, I put 70wt oil in the kit shocks - still too soft - or rather there wasn't enough (any) 'pack'. I built the upgraded shocks the night before - they only come with 2 pistons - again these were same sized holes but 2 or 3 holes.
I put 3 holes in the rear and 2 hole in the front.. the rears were just too soft and not enough pack - I would of ended up with 50wt in there to get enough damping with the 3 hole piston and I hadn't brought the spare 2 hole pistons! oops

If you look at the 501X pistons (same diameter but too thick to be used) they have different sized holes (and 2 of them) - and even the biggest isnt as big as those in the DF03 hop-up shocks.

So to cut a long story short- I couldn't get enough pack in even the hop-up shocks and the car would smack the floor from only a few inches high - so I chose not to run them until I put the hardest pistons in.
I think the best thing you can do to the hop-up shocks is put 501X pistons and shafts in them.

The B4 shocks made a good difference and the car was a lot more planted.
Old 19-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I might try the touring car pistons in mine Jim.
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

I'm not overly familiar with the plethora of tamiya parts kicking around and what might / might not work... But if there are smaller hole pistons that might fit these shocks properly then I'd like to know..

The rear diff got a real hammering on sunday - I think it might need a desperate rebuild. The plastic plate holders held up fine despite the monstrous power of the mamba max on carpet - but obviously something had to slip (since there was no slipper) and that was the diff.
Old 19-02-2007

mine always bottons out at the rear too, but i havent tried the smaller pistons yet. Did you find any temp issues with the mamba jimmy?, mine comes off very hot from a race, Im not used to 4wd so im not sure how hot they are supposed to be? But then again it used to come off red hot using 19t motors too.

cheers
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

The smaller pistons is what you need but they still aren't ideal. You really need smaller holes - as thats where you get the 'pack' from to stop it bottoming out and bouncing around.

The mamba came off from the final very hot indeed- you couldnt put your finger on the ESC for more than a second. but it was fine and worked well. Theres not much you can to, I could (should) of cut the air vent out to aid cooling but never got round to it. The mamba max seems capable of handling the heat.
Old 19-02-2007

ah thanks, thats what I wanted to hear, im used to running brushless in a b4 which comes off quite cool so didnt know what to expect
ta
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

4wd is always gonna be hotter, the motor is always under the shell and you are usually braking and accelerating harder. if you can / want to, its best to cut out any air scoops in the shell to try keep things cooler.

The df03 is particularly bad with the very enclosed motor.
Old 19-02-2007

im thinking about cutting the whole of the front window out, but am afriad this may cause arirodynamic problems. Is this a bad idea?
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

The only problem it would ever cause would be water / dirt ingress.. but thats the same with any opening in the shell for cooling really.
aerodynamics on the shell don't really come into play when there is a shock tower in front of it all.. The kit wing on the keen hawk (might be same for the impact) is pretty much used as a bumper also and has no effect at all on downforce I reckon - it is tiny and mounted far too low behind the rear tower.
Old 19-02-2007

construction rules states you can't cut out the windscreen, unless you just mean for bashing.
Old 19-02-2007
Administrator

I don't think it matters at all if you cut the window out - maybe in touring cars etc but for buggys you can do most anything.

EFRA rules are much more strict but even if there was a brca rule like that which I can't see, you can always put a half-hearted driver figure in there and make it legal.

Dan greenwood has regularly run his X-6 without front window
Old 19-02-2007

ah right, that rule isn't enforced, cool, although outdoors, I have found holes above the motor and in the air scoops was mostly enough.
Old 19-02-2007

My first post, so hello everyone.
On the subject of DF03 shocks, has anyone on here experience of the 3Racing aluminium set? I've seen a few DI's on TamiyaClub are running them, and they seem popular enough. Are the Tamiya hop-up shocks worth double the 3Racing shocks, and, are the 3Racing shocks an upgrade over the standard shocks?
Cheers
Leigh
Old 19-02-2007

I got some 3racing TC shocks, and they are OK, but I wouldn't buy them again, if that is a hint. I might try a set of B4 ones on it if I can't get the TRF pistons to work though.
Old 19-02-2007

The Tamiya DF-03 option shocks do really need the 2 hole pistons and really thick oil. The shocks on mine are running 50 weight all round I think, compared to my TRF which is running 35 front 25 rear I think. When I was using the stock kit shocks I ran the 2 hole pistons with 70 weight oil! I like the DF-03 option shocks, I bought 3 sets from JR-RC on ebay and used 1 set on my DF-03, one set on a DT-02 Sand Viper, and one set on a friends Academy SB V2. They all went together with 2 hole pistons and around 40-50 weight oil, and they all work really well.
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X