Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 20-02-2007
Mad Member

Default Anyone changed from a zx5 to a 501??

Just out of curiosity really, Has anyone changed to a 501 from a zx-5?

I have been interested in a nice 501, and after seeing a few run recently, I may be persuaded.

Has any drivers made the change? if so whats your opinions?

Thanks

Col.
Old 21-02-2007

Hi Colinevan,

I used to have a ZX5 and I am now building my new 501.
I have not driven it yet but I have tested one of my friend's 501. The car seems to be easy to drive. Which is what most of all the 501 users tell.

About the overall quality, the 501 seems to be much more durable than the ZX5. I had few issues with my ZX5: transmission is weak, shock mounts are also weak. That is why have switched to another car.

The 501 seems to be a very good choice.

Gil
501 French driver
Old 21-02-2007

I have.

I sold my ZX5 at the end of the 2006 season, the main reason being an endless procession of reliability issues. I sorted them one by one but by then, I had lost confidence in the car.

I pre-ordered a TRF501 as it's successor from rc-champ so I had it in december.
My impressions : during the build I noticed that the parts quality of the TRF is a bit higher. The screws are also not top quality but at least they don't have Philips heads.
Driving : I also have the impression that the TRF is dialed straight out of the box. It just drives sooooo easy. The shocks are top quality and don't leak like crazy like the stock zx shocks. And the car is a real tank !! I have the impression it can take some serious abuse, unlike the rather fragile zx. So far, the drivetrain is bulletproof.

It's a shame that Tamiya din't include the drivetrain options like Kyosho did with the zx (spool, one-way diff, center one-way, fixed 4wd all included) but since I only use fixed 4WD or a centre one-way, it doesn't bother me that much.

Oh : It's personnal : but I LOVE the TRF bodyshell !!
Old 21-02-2007
Mad Member

HI guys.

Thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean about getting the car sorted....

I had loads of diff bevel gears snap, shock tower mounts snap after the lightest of crashes and the famous front wishbone holder go on numerous times. Im now happy with the reliability of the car as iv sorted all the problems out with it.

The car drives well, but i just feel like a change. The 501 seems a nice car, and after seeing a few run seems quite easy to drive. Im not the greatest of drivers and am not that steady with the throttle, I tend to lack consistency, and with the zx5 its doesnt appear to be as forgiving as it does with a 501.

My only concerns that i have are i run brushless and its not the biggest of spaces to install ( i have seen the gtb instalaltion on here and it does look impressive though ). No one else runs one at Southport, so parts may be a problem ans thats about it.

Thanks

Col.
Old 21-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Any idea where i can get a 105x from? Its a really nice looking car and having not raced for years, it sounds sweet to drive too :-) (and strong) lol
many thanks
Old 23-02-2007
Mad Member

Sadly its not as mainstream as the rest of the tamiya kits....

Any Tamiya stockist can get hold of one for you providing that the distributor has them in stock.. I.e the Hobby Company.

A cheaper option is to import one yourself from Japan, you can even pick them up on ebay a lot cheaper as well.

Hope this helps.

Col.