Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 24-06-2008

Send a message via AIM to notlawnomis Send a message via MSN to notlawnomis Send a message via Yahoo to notlawnomis
Default Mini Mustang

I've just purchased this PB Mini Mustang from the U.S., arriving in the post this morning, I used to race one of these years ago, so thought I'd relive my youth!! I'm hoping York or somewhere will be doing another vintage series during the winter.

What tires are people using on their vintage cars, obviously wheel size has changed slightly, do the Schumacher full spikes still fit the older/smaller wheels ok??

If anyone has a bodyshell for one of these or spares I'd be really interested to here from you!!

Cheers
Simon

Old 24-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlawnomis View Post
What tires are people using on their vintage cars, obviously wheel size has changed slightly, do the Schumacher full spikes still fit the older/smaller wheels ok??
Hi, the new car looks pretty cool. It's 2 speed, isn't it? Let us know how well that works with modern motors.. Interesting!

The PB rims are dimensionally very very similar to Tamiya Hotshot rims, so there's a lot of vintage 2.0 inch rubber around. I have a stash of nos '80s Schumacher full spikes that I use. (I'm sure you remember the ones - WIIIDE in the back with 4 rows of spikes and 3 rows in the front) They were of cult-status back in California when I was racing as a kid and were super-exclusive since they were imported from the UK... Work very well on loose dirt. Awesome, even.

I still pull them over 2.2" rims sometimes for the appropriate conditions. Work great...

I'm not sure if 2.0" tyres are still manufactured anymore, though - except perhaps for the plasticy Tamiya parts for the re-issue Hotshot, etc perhaps. I could well be quite mistaken though.

Cheers,
Ty
Old 24-06-2008
Mad Member

Schumacher still make the 2 inch tyres, both the original CAT full spikes and square blocks. See here
Old 24-06-2008

Send a message via AIM to notlawnomis Send a message via MSN to notlawnomis Send a message via Yahoo to notlawnomis

Thanks for the replies. Good to see they are still making them!!

No Ty its the single speed version. To be honest my old man had the 2 speed version and reverted back to the single speed. It was a bit of a nightmare to get the gearing just right, so that the 2nd gear didn't kick in at the wrong time!! To be honest I don't think i'll take it below a 19-21t motor and probably try and use milder cells, I don't think the belt would stand a chance with the gear we run in now!!

Just need to find a few spares, a bodyshell and I'm all set!!