Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 04-04-2015

Default Best steerwheel

Hi

I need to get rid of my old M11 and get a newer steerwheel. What are the best options, i want a top notch one and want to buy mutiple receivers. Any recommendations.

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 04-04-2015

Spektrum dx4r top of the range tx.
Rx's are cheap enough. And hobbyking do a compatible orange rx for about £7.
Both me and my two sons have this tx and it's been superb. Got the DX4R to replace the 3r I had which was faultless for the five years that I had it for.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 04-04-2015
Mad Member

I would go for a Sanwa MT4
Old 04-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Best thing to do is to ask a few people with the radios you like. This is what I done. I bought the M12 it also came with a drop down, thicker or thinner grips and overall adjustment to my needs. These have to be bought on other top end steer wheel radio's. Also the receivers are cheaper, this is also a factor. HTH
Old 04-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindles69 View Post
Spektrum dx4r top of the range tx.
Rx's are cheap enough. And hobbyking do a compatible orange rx for about £7.
Both me and my two sons have this tx and it's been superb. Got the DX4R to replace the 3r I had which was faultless for the five years that I had it for.
Not with the update, if you don't update it then your fine but if you do they will no longer work.
Old 04-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

For the money I think the mt4 is great. You can get a dropdown from gridrc.

But if you have the money then maybe look into the newer futaba or sanwa. Ko is nice as well but they are a big bump in price

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 04-04-2015

If your coming from an m11 then you are going to find anything by spektrum cheap and poorly made also the wheel feels huge. Now before everyone jumps on my back I'm not saying the spektrums are poor. It's just the plastics are not of the same quality as sanwa or futaba. Ko are also offenders in this area.
So, imo for a true top end radio you should look for either sanwa or futaba. Personally I lovethe futaba. It has a wonderful balance. It comes with a drop down if you like that. For me the big points are the spring tensions. You can make them really tight. Also the trigger can be slid for/aft for the perfect fit. The trigger is quite small as well so no big gap for moving from forward to brake. I have never had any issues with interference ever. Also no issues with Pts not counting etc. There are bad sides though. Receivers. £100 a pop for the small ones. Also they are hard to source in uk, but easy to get from hk.
I too came from a m11 and found that great but a little bulky and to me the m12 is even more so. I also put up with the drop wheel on the m11. I feel so much more comfy without one! However we know the m12 is a quality amazing radio with cheaper easy to get receivers. It's just if you like the m12.
These are just my personal opinions, I've been driving wheel radios for 25 years so I know what I like and hate but these may not be the same for everyone!
Hope my thoughts help. Last bit of advice. You need to feel any tranny you think you want in your hands with the batteries in! Check the balance and comfort for you. Without the batteries it will feel wrong
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 05-04-2015

Red face Best steerwheel

Hi guys,

well that is a question to provoke responses and I can only add my experiences over the years of handling quite a few.

The Spektrum range of gear is technically excellent as is most of the 'budget' radios now, when you come to invest in their top of the range radios like the DX3r or DX4r though they do not for me have a feel of solid quality, as steveproracing has so sensitively described.

I was traditionally a Futaba user from the early 70's and still posses a FASST 2.4 GHz 3VCS twin stick which I use for radio sailing and that feels a solid, quality radio when compared to a DX6i, which I have also used for this purpose.

My DX3r is not a patch on a 4PK when it comes to a quality feel but is easily matched with usability, the 4PK has now gone though, off to Canada with a Contrast TT11 off-roader, bon voyage!

My latest radio is a KO Propo Esprit IV as twin sticks are my preference for 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars and I do like the feel of it in preference to the Sanwa for instance.

The upshot of all of this though is that it is a very personal thing and it is nice to have such a great choice in radio outfits, try before you buy is not always possible but you should if you can!
Old 05-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
Not with the update, if you don't update it then your fine but if you do they will no longer work.
The orange receivers that are already bound will but you will not be able to add any new ones.
Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

Another vote for mt4. I have had absima and they have been great, but sanwa a just feels quality. The cr3p and cr4t both do pretty much the same but sandals feels smoother. That said, if someone said I had to use my absima as main radio, I'd have no complaints

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 06-04-2015

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I kinda agree that a sanwa compared to a spektrum does feel more quality. I will look at the sanwa and futaba systems in Japan next week and see if I can pick up a new one cheaper hen the UK

Thanks everyone

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 07-04-2015

I vote for Futaba. I had the 4PL initially as my first proper radio as I did not like the feel of Spectrum and no-one I knew had Sanwa or KO at the time. I liked the 4PL but it was not until I got a 4PX that I realised what a top end radio felt like.

I really like the feel of the 4PX and the adjustability of the springing and positions as has been said before.

I agree with try them all before you buy and don't forget to factor in RX costs but if you are spending £450 or so on a radio, then a few hundred on RX may not be in issue.