Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012
Default Sanwa/Spektrum

Hi everyone...

This may of been asked before but I've not seen it...

Today at Southport, my car lost all power as if the speedo was shutting off? I still had steering but couldn't use the throttle for a couple of seconds... It only did this on the first corner and then was fine round the rest of the track?

I tried another receiver but the same thing happened? I've never had this issue before... I'm using an older Sanwa Exzes and a Spektrum module with the micro receiver...

I've been advised to put a power cap on the receiver, would this solve the issue?

Cheers in advance,

Tom

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

Was it at end of straight? If so it sounds like thermal cut off on ESC being tripped which then sorts itself in the infield and then at end of straight after motor at peak revs getting too hot it'll do it again. I am no expert but I have seen that particular issue twice in 2 different cars at 2 different tracks

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 05-04-2015

At the same corner every heat? But not anywhere else and with another receiver sounds like a nightmare, I had an issue with a Spektrum RX where I would suddenly loose control but only ever at full chat with the car suddenly darting off line and breaking something, tried the power cap but eventually started again, sent receiver to horizon uk, they tested it said it was fine and I never had another glitch 3 years on still used every couple of weeks
Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Was it at end of straight? If so it sounds like thermal cut off on ESC being tripped which then sorts itself in the infield and then at end of straight after motor at peak revs getting too hot it'll do it again. I am no expert but I have seen that particular issue twice in 2 different cars at 2 different tracks
Exactly that! Any ideas how to solve?

Old 05-04-2015
Mad Member

Ahh. I might have exceeded my skill level here.
First I'd check that the thermal cut off is set correctly. That fixed one of the issues I saw - it had defaulted to a low temp setting so even though it was only momentarily it cut out the ESC.
Next, are you running with a fan? If not then that might help?
Is there anyway that airflow could be increased?

Here's where I run out of ideas - I'm not sure what settings would reduce temp in ESC? Would it be boost / turbo or would that make motor hotter, but not esc?
I will let those who have more experience than me come in here and possibly advise

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 07-04-2015
Mad Member

I'll put the fan back on, this was happening early on in the race so I can't see how it's a thermal issue? Should I turn off the overheat protection?

I've never had a problem like this in the past on any of the 3 Team Orion speedos I have

Old 07-04-2015
Mad Member

As I said, this is beyond my absolute knowledge, but there is clearly something causing the ESC to cut briefly. That will either be the thermal cut out or the voltage cut out I'd imagine. If you have checked the thermal is Ok and that doesn't solve it then a capacitor may help - I'd imagine that on the straight there is the highest power draw so that might cause a dip in voltage momentarily which is cutting the ESC. As soon as voltage levels it comes back on. My understanding of a power cap is that it evens out the power draw so could eliminate this?
Also, what servo are you using? I've heard it said (but not sure exactly what it means) that some such as Savox are "power hungry" so if the straight is the peak power pull, followed by the kick in of the servo, those 2 things may combine. But as I said, this is pure speculation as I don't know and am just summising.
This is just a thought, but could you try a telemetry module with your receiver to log voltage? Is that what telemetry will do - it may show if it is a power dip causing the problem?

All I know is that on the 2 occasions I've seen the same, the thermal cut out solved one and the 2nd was solved by the driver who swapped his esc for a spare - so easily could have been an incorrect setting?

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 07-04-2015

It does sound like it could be thermalling but if it recovers very quickly like it seems to I'd also inspect / change out the sensor wire just to be sure
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 07-04-2015

Id try and bind your car with a spektrum radio, to rule out your sanwa. It may be the pins in the back of your sanwa may be worn and as you are driving, loosing connection between the pins and the module.