Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > NEAM Seaham Sunderland

Old 27-03-2009

Default Long spikes only for indoors ? ? ?

What do you guys think of only allowing long spike tyres for indoors on club nights ? Reason is the expence of mini pins and spikes ! The long spikes work ok just not as good perhaps as pin or spikes ? I mean chris p does ok with them ?
I know we don't want to start running a stock class or anything but since it's just club night then one restriction is not to bad ?
If new members came they could use what they like until they need new ones ?

Anyway it's just an idea ?
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

We run yellow compound full spikes indoors on polished wood. I've done comparisons and with my driving the minipins are worth about another 1-2 laps around a small hall (11ish sec laps).

They run ok and last forever we would get 10+ nights from a set. It would be worth giving it a go and see how they go, if everybodys on the same tyre the less performance isnt an issue and at least on our floor they still grip enough to make the cars raceable.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 27-03-2009

full spikes are an ok all round indoor tire. they're rarely the best tire for any given track but do last a long time and are consistent even when the spikes are just marks on the tire. i found them consistent when i raced on multi surface tracks and provided enough grip for both 2 and 4wd. i do have a feeling that they can leave marks though from memory so might be worth checking before the janitor starts complaining of the marks
Diementia would like to invite you to vote for us on Total Biker FM here : http://lnk.ms/TPsV9 and share this link. Please also share this link.Thankyou for your support \m/ www.reverbnation.com/diementia
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Mini spikes are better than full spikes at jarrow. Only reason people use full spikes is they last longer. You get about 4 good weeks from mini spikes and about 6-8 on fulls. After you've ran them in, 2 weeks...

Ban Full spikes....
Old 27-03-2009

So
Advantages are - cheap , consitant on multi surface , last twice or more than pin or spike

Disadvantages - Lower grip , run in time (maybe a run on Tarmac will speed this up)

Have I missed anything ?

If we are going to have a regional are the club then we can have say 4 weeks before with no restrictions so we can set up the car for pins or spikes ?

Anyone got any good reasons not to do this ?

Would a pm vote be an idea if no one has any good reason not to ?
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Where we race at Faversham club , indoors on polished wood yellow Full-spikes are the only way to go (worn down just past half way)
they have run fullspikes for nearly 30 years in this way with about 60 drivers a night
if the spikes are too long and not bedded correctly there rubbish
the mini spikes work but generate less grip and lack sidebite but are perfect for carpet

but every hall is different,
Old 27-03-2009

Why change it, all I do is just use part worn tyres from regionals etc, I wouldn't specifically go and buy tyres just for Jarrow.

You also don't know what the new hall will be like.

Peter
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

Quite strangely my 501 seems to work well with brand new spikes, i've no idea why no other cars do. Normally you would need to have about 4-5 runs runs to get the tops worn off the full spikes and get them gripping. A few doughnuts in the carpark works either but im far to cheap to do that .

I've ran fullspikes and been competitive for up to about 15 weeks although I tend to be a lot easier on tyres than a lot of people as I dont slide the car about as much. Normally I would put a new set on for each league we run (10 nights).

Minipins are nicer to drive with, feel smoother and are faster but I've only ever found you can get 3 nights out of them at then maybe another one at a push. The full spikes as they wear alot longer you can push and run on old tyres for a lot longer.

If cost isnt an issue I would go with mini's everytime but I ran indoors last year at 35 meetings on 3 sets of full spikes. I would of needed 8~10 sets of minipins to do the same amount of racing. It does really need to be limited if your gonna run them though because i've found myself able to go a lap or so quicker due to the higher cornering speeds achievable from the minipins. As somebody who runs to a very tight budget fullspikes are a life saver, I couldnt afford to run minipins.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayxwalker View Post
So
Advantages are - cheap , consitant on multi surface , last twice or more than pin or spike

Disadvantages - Lower grip , run in time (maybe a run on Tarmac will speed this up)

Have I missed anything ?

If we are going to have a regional are the club then we can have say 4 weeks before with no restrictions so we can set up the car for pins or spikes ?

Anyone got any good reasons not to do this ?

Would a pm vote be an idea if no one has any good reason not to ?
I dont understand what advantage there is to everyone running the same tyre...???
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

level playing feild
Old 27-03-2009

When I put advantages/disadvantages it was ment as pro's and cons to putting a rule in so we have to use them !

Here's me saying this and I have a brand new set of mini spikes on my pred LOL

Pete
Why not change ?

As for the new floor we can see what happens then
Old 27-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
level playing feild
Good point !

Then it's down to setup , car type , motor choice
Old 27-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayxwalker View Post
Pete
Why not change ?

As for the new floor we can see what happens then
Why do I want to buy a set of tyres that can only be used one place, if you haven't noticed lately I haven't even had chance to race a car properly and get a full night's racing in, normally get no practice, sometimes miss the first round etc.

Peter

PS New rules that you want to implement normally go to the committee first, not an online poll.
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Ah right. In that case we should just all buy exactly the same touring cars and run the same tyres with the same cells, same motor speedo combo around a flat oval track. But wot would happen when someone bought an expensive servo which had faster steering? We'd have to make everyone buy the same servo...

If everyone runs the same tyres then what happens if driver A is onto his 8th week and driver B is onto his 3rd??? Doesn't driver B have a clear advantage...???

Or do we have to all buy tyres at the same time....??? What if driver A misses 2 weeks racing, driver B does not and by the 8th week driver A has a clear advantage....

Personally I hate full spikes. They make the car sluggish on acceleration, slide on carpet, everything runs hotter and they make you use more power. Oh and your car sounds like a tracktor...

Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Ban full spikes!! I personally think they give far more grip at Jarrow than any other tyres. Chris Ps car is on rails at Jarrow. Ive got some but they are too new. I might try them next week to see what happens just as an experiment, but i think ban them too!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
Ban full spikes!! I personally think they give far more grip at Jarrow than any other tyres. Chris Ps car is on rails at Jarrow. Ive got some but they are too new. I might try them next week to see what happens just as an experiment, but i think ban them too!!
Totally disagree. I ran full spikes and took them off due to mini spikes having more grip... Chrissy P's car is on rails as its a tamiya and they are mint at Jarrow... Ok everywhere else and pants at worksop...
Old 27-03-2009

The online poll was just a suggestion to gauge peoples opinion that's all. Ultimately it's the commitee thing but without info on what people want then how can the comitee make a decision ?
Surely it's a topic worth talking about !

I hate touring cars and stock classes ! So boring !

It's just a suggestion to bring the cost down a bit at club level

As for chris p car I have watched it and it does not handle that well I think it's more the driver that makes it quick.
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

Haha! quality. Chris is so in the zone at Jarrow. Ask him who is currently the best driver at Jarrow who still attends? Me. Its official!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 27-03-2009

hope this doesn't turn into who's the best driver thread !
Old 27-03-2009
Mad Member

I was just messing. Chris P is awesome at Jarrow with his Tam. Not sure how we can stop him apart from unleashing Shunter on him! Hes done most of us so how come Chris ges away!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback