Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 05-02-2009

Default Vintage racing 2009

Does anyone know of any clubs in and around london that are holding vintage classes or events for 2009 as would like to give the Cat XL a run.
Old 05-02-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have already asked, but so far no reply. Im up for it if I am allowed to run a 93 buggy.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 05-02-2009

For the amount of old cars I keep seeing on ebay for sale there must be enough people out there who would like to find a place to race.
As seen the ad for the club in Dudley but don't really want to travel all that way. So there must be somewhere in the south or it's a case of find enough people who are interested then find a track or club who can accommodate vintage classes.
Old 05-02-2009

Or does anyone know of somewhere in the london area or the home counties that a track could be built and a club started to cater for people of all ages to race their older cars with the aim to have a larf and some fun at the weekend and nothing to serious.
As must be alot of people out there who have old cars they used to race and been collecting dust in the loft and they can't race them now as their not as competitive as the modern cars. So saves people some money in buying a new car if they could have somewhere to run their old one.

If anyone knows of somewhere or any ideas let me know as don't mind putting in the hours to get things built and up and running.

Cheers John
Old 06-02-2009
Mad Member

The York vintage series was organised because enough club members wanted it. The enduro at Ryde, Australia and the US vintage nationals were organised because in both cases a vintage fan got out there and organised it. If you want vintage racing locally it's up to you to get it organised.

Any sensible club will let you run a heat if there's enough of you turn up with them, no club is going to turn you away because your buggy is more than a couple of years old.
My club is mainly on road. If 6 drivers turn up with Recoils there's a Recoil heat, if 6 drivers turn up with buggies there's a buggy heat and the ramps get dragged out. If only one or two people turned up with a buggy they would go in with the touring cars as we aren't putting on a heat with two buggies in it.
No club is going to just put on an extra heat if you turn up with your vintage r/c, you have to get a few drivers together and ask to be put in the same heat. No club should refuse, if they do then find one that will accommodate you as most clubs will happily take on new members.

As for old buggies not being competitive, I believe Northy would have got his Procat into the normal A final if he wasn't running in the vintage series at York last year. If you are worried about not being as competitive as modern buggies you are running against, well that's down to your own attitude. If you want to be competitive against them then get a modern buggy, if you are just having a laugh with your mates then who cares what times the others are doing as long as you beat your mates.

You'll find any buggy up to 10 years old will be as competitive as any modern buggy for anyone but the top drivers at club level, just look at the Losi XX4. Generally any organised vintage racing uses 1990 as a cut off point as that was when there was a massive shift in chassis design, so having a buggy that's not 18 years old wouldn't qualify as vintage for racing anyway.
You'll find almost all the vintage buggies on ebay will never see the track again, collectors will restore them then put them on a shelf or bash with them, the demand to race them is a lot smaller than you think.
Old 06-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
you have to get a few drivers together and ask to be put in the same heat. No club should refuse, if they do then find one that will accommodate you as most clubs will happily take on new members.
Terry's got a good point - come to the March 1st winter warmer race at Eden Park and just run your vintage car... You'll be placed in a lower heat (along with my goldpan RC10...), but it's still racing. www.edenparkraceway.com

But alas, I see you're going to be running a 4wd... well I'm thinking of dragging out the Kyosho Salute for a race one of these days, but it's just so complex and fragile! So that may or may not happen. At least the RC10 is pretty simple and robust and the parts exist and are cheap once you know where to look.

Cheers,
Ty
Old 06-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I am sure Eden Park will happily run a vintage heat if enough people are interested!!!! This track is located in Croydon. Or just come along as mentioned and you will be able to race!!!
Look at the website www.edenparkraceway.com and contact Steve, or Matt if you want anymore information, or just ask here on oOple.
DC
Old 06-02-2009

Yeah Terrys right it seems I'm going to have to organize a venue and start a club myself as have a place in mind out Reading way but just need to speak to the farmer and see how much to rent the bit of the yard I have in mind then see if enough people interested in running vintage cars or can run modern buggys aswell. As my idea is for people to come along at the weekend and have a bit of a larf and not take it to seriously.
As just bought a cat 3000 that I'm going to run this year as like to get out to a few different places with that.
But thought there might be some clubs out there who are thinking of running some vintage classes or some members of clubs who have asked for a vintage class.
Old 06-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
Yeah Terrys right it seems I'm going to have to organize a venue and start a club myself as have a place in mind out Reading way but just need to speak to the farmer and see how much to rent the bit of the yard I have in mind then see if enough people interested in running vintage cars or can run modern buggys aswell. As my idea is for people to come along at the weekend and have a bit of a larf and not take it to seriously.
As just bought a cat 3000 that I'm going to run this year as like to get out to a few different places with that.
But thought there might be some clubs out there who are thinking of running some vintage classes or some members of clubs who have asked for a vintage class.
Well I am in for Reading indoors or out, as I live about 40 mins from there, but I think maybe indoors would be a better option to most, as a lot seem to be their pride and joy so some may opt out of outdoor racing. If thats the case I guess I could discuss this with the guys from our club (Slough) and see if this is plausible. Otherwise just turn up and have a blast from the past like I do every Friday.
Answer UK team driver
Old 06-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Why not speak to the guys at Newbury RC Club - i'm sure Andy won't mind either running a heat of Vintage cars, or just compete with the more modern buggys anyway? At least Newbury is close to reading

http://www.gingerfixit.proboards84.com/
Old 06-02-2009

Yeah that's my idea just bring along your old car or you can run your new car but the main aim is to have a bit of fun at the weekend.
But it would be outdoors as it's a farm that's seen better days but there is space there to do things with as at the moment I have my horse box parked there and friends have their horses there. So I could sub let of my friends a paddock so you could run on grass or there is a largish concrete area that needs all the rubbish clearing from it then if I can scrounge some astro turf or something to run on that can be used but would have to speak to the farmer to see how much he wants to rent it or mainly to let him know whats going on as he's pretty decent about things.
Old 06-02-2009

hi guys Andy Bell here newbury slave

we would love to have you along for some vintage bashing we can either plonk you in your own heat or in with the other maniacs

we allready have a chap simon chambers running an rc10 in the 2wd heat so you wont be alone

we would need 5 to run a heat because the hall is huge we race in and marshaling wouldnt be fair other wise

www.newburyrcclub.co.uk all you need is on there

thanks Andy
Old 06-02-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymill View Post
well I'm thinking of dragging out the Kyosho Salute for a race one of these days, but it's just so complex and fragile!
You'd be surprised what abuse the old Optima platform can take http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=79380&sid=280I only stopped this when the battery went flat and couldn't clear the cars.
Old 08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
You'd be surprised what abuse the old Optima platform can take http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=79380&sid=280I only stopped this when the battery went flat and couldn't clear the cars.
That's pretty awesome, Terry!

To be fair the only problem I've had with the Salute has been a fragged "spur" gear from running a 13 double and landing pretty abruptly off EPR's tabletops. The new gear cost me a fortune, but hey - the car's on the road now...

And of course that metal bit on front that supports the bumper now has "plenty of character". As they all do, I'm sure!
Old 08-03-2009

Just bought a '88 Avante off fleabay... give me a couple of days to lash it together, stick a brushless in it 'n give it a thrash... then I'll be in touch 'n LETS RACE!!!!
Old 09-03-2009

Im game for some fun, just finding the time at the mo, still when everyone is up for an oldie race let me know, and will try to make Newbury.
Answer UK team driver