Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 04-01-2008
Super Moderator

ALL cells.....

G
Old 04-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

Im gona wait till all the rules are released as ive had my cells for ages, so gona wait till i know what i can get that will be legal for regional and national use.
Old 04-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
ALL cells.....

G
So cells that were previously approved for use may be removed from the list?
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 04-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
So cells that were previously approved for use may be removed from the list?
thats what is worrying me.
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
I simply cannot understand the mentalily of some people! This thread was started by Jimmy on 16th Nov 2007. This was at least 1 month after we all knew there were going to be problems with some cells for next year, so if your current cells were knackered, surely just buying 2 or 3 cheap packs was the only option rather than throwing shed loads of money at 6 or seven packs...
If you can afford to do the national series, then a few packs of cells can't be that hard to find, can they?
How do Col for most of us I dont think that it is buying new cells it is the old cells that we already have, that where purchased after looking at the homoligation list and not expecting them to be elegal just a few months later. The national series does not cost that much but for us lower order stalwarts it can be hard to find the money for new cells.
Old 04-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to AndyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
thats what is worrying me.
and me
Old 04-01-2008

if IB4200 become illegal, I will have 15 useless packs.
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
and me
this my point
does the electric board cover all brca catergorys ie touring cars etc cause i did a ruff gestimation that pretty much all cells will fall foul of new rules ie 4200(if its the case) theres probably about 5000 racers racing up and down the uk electric using five packs minimum so a rough figure that 125 to 150 thousand cells need to matched to be legal its a bit of a mind blower it takes at least an hour per cell to match 1 cycle i dont see how the hell its going to be viable
Old 04-01-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

i take it the brca will refund you for the illegal cells lol
yeah right
but all guess work till the new list is released
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Well if someone proposed them at the AGM and the majority of BRCA members there vote for them then they would be in, that's why we now have lipos in the touring cars in the Pro Stock class.
To be honest i did not think that lipos were mainstream yet here in the UK in offroad, if i had known i would of put a proposal in. I think stick and saddle hard cased lipos will become more developed during this year, so safety is a none issue and hopefully we will be able to run them in 09
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
i take it the brca will refund you for the illegal cells lol
yeah right
but all guess work till the new list is released
personally i could not give a toss cus they do what the hell they like but i enjoy racing and would like to know wot i can use this season and the mushroom managment approach is doing my head in. plus i wanna now wot ive got save up to pay for em and where can i source em from
Old 04-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
For those who have already bought cells for next seasons nationals, if you read your BRCA handbook it states every year the homologation list isn't published until January, so you should never buy cells before then assuming they would be on it. After all until the list is published there is no knowing what new cells will be added.
LOL, have you read your handbook?

I don't think that is a fair comment, considering previous rules were that all cells once homoligated will remain on the list. Therefore if we went back 12months, 24 months or whatever, we'd have been fine then buying any legal cells ready for the following season - even though there would likely be a larger capacity cell allowed for April 1st.

Perhaps the BRCA should not have turned a blind eye to the dimensions back when our current legal cells were made legal, and we'd still be happily running GP38's... but hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I don't know all the facts.

What would be a fair comment, is that this rumour/whatever it is, we are all aware of it and have been for some time - so shouldn't be buying news cells til this list is published.... who it is unfair for are those who rely on either making cells last as they run a fleet of cars (DCM) and those who buy 2nd hand cells from those who don't keep them long...

This pot is boiling, im rather anxious to see the published list too...
Old 04-01-2008

from RCRacechat, apparently there has been quite a few samples sent in for homologation.....

As for the list, what is on there is normaly left on there, so you can buy with confidence, but this issue that certain cells maybe be removed (and probably the most popular cell too) is making lots nervous.
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
from RCRacechat, apparently there has been quite a few samples sent in for homologation.....

As for the list, what is on there is normaly left on there, so you can buy with confidence, but this issue that certain cells maybe be removed (and probably the most popular cell too) is making lots nervous.
max amps and precision rc will make a killin
Old 04-01-2008

im getting ready to dig out the old gp3300

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 04-01-2008

Send a message via MSN to AndyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
im getting ready to dig out the old gp3300

A
Old 04-01-2008
Mad Member

Thats why you should run gp3700's, Ive got 6 packs of those and 4 packs of 3300's. GP FTW!!!
Old 05-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Thats why you should run gp3700's, Ive got 6 packs of those and 4 packs of 3300's. GP FTW!!!
How very odd, i think i have the very same combination of packs lol!
I presume the fact that cells are blowing up are the biggest concern rather than the size of the cells.
It is a shame for people that have gone out and bought 4200's but i think safety will be a big issue and also if cells are blowing up in cars it will most probably be taking the other electronics with it thus more money to spend!
Old 05-01-2008
Mad Member

I cant wait for "the list" to be published.
I have 6 packs of GP3700's they are ok(ish) in 2wd but i cant use them in 4wd cause they old, and my reciver keeps cutting out. I am ready to order 6 new packs of cells but which?,

You cant say without the list being published. Patience is NOT my strong point.
Old 05-01-2008

As you guys will not read the rules here they are.

3.1 Cells submitted for approval prior to 01.01.06 have to conform to 2005 BRCA EB rules. The following technical specifications follow the rules adopted by EFRA and will apply to any cells submitted for approval from 01.01.06.
Only rechargeable NiCd or NiMH cells rated at 1.2 volts nominal will be allowed at BRCA sanctioned events. The size of the individual cell(s) to be:-
  • Diameter -- 23.0mm +0/-1 mm
  • Overall length -- 43.0mm +0/-1.5 mm
Measurements include original manufacturers heat-shrink. Overall length is the maximum length before attaching/soldering any link wires or battery bars. Dimensions taken at ambient temperature, and apply to new/unused cells as submitted by the manufacturer. Cells must never exceed 44.0 mm length after any ‘matching’ or charging processes. All cells must have the original manufacturer’s heat shrink substantially intact. Weights of submitted samples will be recorded to verify that production versions compare. From 2008 onwards, it is intended to amend the rule that cells must never exceed 43.0mm (including any distortion from charging).
3.2 All rechargeable batteries must meet BRCA specifications before they will be approved by the BRCA Electric Board. Details of newly approved rechargeable batteries will be published on the BRCA website. Only batteries appearing on the official BRCA website homologation list published in January will be legal for use at BRCA sanctioned events from 1st.April of that calendar year

What this means is it does not matter what cells you buy if they are over the limit then they are illegal.

This has not changed for the last 3 years.

You can measure the Dia now The overall is very debatable because of solder ect and as said before if you are in the A final at Euro's worry about it if not do not.

To Answer another question BRCA members do not have a say in these rules, only the electric board and yes it is for all classes, off road and on road.

What you need to ask is if I have 5 good cells and one bad cell what happens. Yet again a rule with not enough information.