Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 11-11-2013

Default 410 spur gear/slipper issues...

I took my 420 out for its first meeting yesterday and had issues with the spur gear and slipper.

Towards the end of the first race I heard the meshing was to tight with the pinion and upon closer inspection noticed the motor had moved during the race. Remedied the gears and all good...

Second race it did exactly the same again. Checked over at the end of the race and remeshed, however at this point the heads on the standard kit cheese screws were getting weak so couldn't tighten them up properly. Plus they have to be one of the most annoyingly placed screws anyway. I did try and put an M3 cap head screw in, but that rubbed on the spur gear so changed it back to the kit one...

Went out in the third race and 2 mins in heard the dreaded noise of the spur hear stripping. Not only that, it had melted the spur gear too

What spur gears are better than the kit ones? Also, what motor mount screws do folk use that are stronger than the kit ones? Is there any tricks to stop this happening as I don't fancy having this problem with my durango every time I race it

Thanks in advance

Adam
Old 11-11-2013

Sounds like the slipper is too loose, when it slips too much the gear starts to get too hot and expands making the mesh go tight.

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC
Old 11-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperDunley View Post
I took my 420 out for its first meeting yesterday and had issues with the spur gear and slipper.

Towards the end of the first race I heard the meshing was to tight with the pinion and upon closer inspection noticed the motor had moved during the race. Remedied the gears and all good...

Second race it did exactly the same again. Checked over at the end of the race and remeshed, however at this point the heads on the standard kit cheese screws were getting weak so couldn't tighten them up properly. Plus they have to be one of the most annoyingly placed screws anyway. I did try and put an M3 cap head screw in, but that rubbed on the spur gear so changed it back to the kit one...

Went out in the third race and 2 mins in heard the dreaded noise of the spur hear stripping. Not only that, it had melted the spur gear too

What spur gears are better than the kit ones? Also, what motor mount screws do folk use that are stronger than the kit ones? Is there any tricks to stop this happening as I don't fancy having this problem with my durango every time I race it

Thanks in advance

Adam
RW spur gear will sort the spur stripping issues and Associated pads will sort the slipper issues. Buy some brake cleaner and clean the slipper shaft and plate. You may have had residual oil left over from manufacture causing the slipper pads to over heat. If you don't clean the parts now then you'll risk a second failure.

Hope this helps.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 11-11-2013
Mad Member

And unless you are running a miniscule pinion, M3 cap heads do fit. I've used them with the stock spur and down to an 18 pinion.
Old 11-11-2013

Best way to mesh is: undo the 4 screws holding motor mount plate and mid drive gear plate. This will allow you clear access to the motor mount screws and wind them up nice and firm and achieve a perfect mesh.

Just double check the motor doesn't protrude the base of the motor mount plate. Also, when you have the perfect mesh, just slowly rotate the spur to make sure the pinion and/or spur isn't slightly egg shaped and a tight spot forms.

Personally, never had a problem with Rango spurs or slippers.
Old 12-11-2013

Cheers guys... Have new parts on the way so will try the above