i was think of mi1` instead of sprint2
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
i was think of mi1` instead of sprint2
Or even Maverick Strada
Old 16-06-2011
Mad Member

I think we will run an ARE-2 (assuming we get in) as they are tough!
Old 16-06-2011

Oh god no please, if you think the Sprint2 is basic and a bit baggy in places try owning and running the Maverick TC or an Ansmann p.o.s.

You'll be begging to have the Sprint2 back!

Having run the HPI Sprint2 for a year with Callum, his is still fine (well it was until we stripped it as a donor) and the 24 Hr race showed just how robust they really are, all the bits I expected to break, plastic parts and belts etc are intact, and it was just wear and tear on the metal parts (which I would normally strip and lubricate between meetings) that led to the down fall of more than one cars handling.
With all the lessons learnt from this event I know most people who did this event would vote in favour of running the HPI Sprint 2 again, it was merely the motors that was the Achilles heal and let's face it, over 24 hours something has to give!
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
Oh god no please, if you think the Sprint2 is basic and a bit baggy in places try owning and running the Maverick TC or an Ansmann p.o.s.

You'll be begging to have the Sprint2 back!

Having run the HPI Sprint2 for a year with Callum, his is still fine (well it was until we stripped it as a donor) and the 24 Hr race showed just how robust they really are, all the bits I expected to break, plastic parts and belts etc are intact, and it was just wear and tear on the metal parts (which I would normally strip and lubricate between meetings) that led to the down fall of more than one cars handling.
With all the lessons learnt from this event I know most people who did this event would vote in favour of running the HPI Sprint 2 again, it was merely the motors that was the Achilles heal and let's face it, over 24 hours something has to give!
I have to say the sprint did stand up to some real punishment from our team! It was going round like a pin ball in some of the night runs!!

We learnt loads about the car in 24 hour race and would love to give it another bash and do a few things differently.
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
Stick and Steerwheel Transmitters

did any teams have drivers that used both?

how did you wire up the equipment if you did?

pictures would be nice
we used both, however they were both futaba and we only needed one receiver and just bound to whichever transmitter that was about to go out - we did experience some technical difficulty towards the end when the 603ff receiver wouldnt bind with the 4pk transmitter, possibly should have used a 603fs receiver instead - that cost us a few laps but luckily we had a receiver for the 4pk with us.
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@mmr View Post
we used both, however they were both futaba and we only needed one receiver and just bound to whichever transmitter that was about to go out - we did experience some technical difficulty towards the end when the 603ff receiver wouldnt bind with the 4pk transmitter, possibly should have used a 603fs receiver instead - that cost us a few laps but luckily we had a receiver for the 4pk with us.

If you had change the settings on the 3PK to C1, then the 603FF would have bound no problems at all, we was usng both the 4PK and the 3GR handsets with the 603FF on our car
Old 16-06-2011

Maybe john can get the same deal that thay have for SPC-UK.
The special price for these motors for SPC-UK drivers is £30 (RRP£64.98) think that was for HPI Flux 17.5t or 13.5t HPI Flux PRO motors available for £40..
so for two motors is about the same as most spent on HPI Saturn 20T's
Old 16-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
If you had change the settings on the 3PK to C1, then the 603FF would have bound no problems at all, we was usng both the 4PK and the 3GR handsets with the 603FF on our car
we did have the 4pk in c1 mode, it worked fine for the first few binds but then just wouldn't bind with the 4pk, possibly just decided to play up - gonna make them all use wheel
Old 16-06-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@mmr View Post
however they were both futaba and we only needed one receiver and just bound to whichever transmitter that was about to go out
Never thought of binding for each transmitter

Wonder if KO, Futaba with spektrum modules and DX3s etc transmitters will work on one receiver. Something to try at the club.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 16-06-2011

I think RC Disco did it with a ko wheel and stick and swoped the module from one to the other.
Old 16-06-2011

For the GT2 class using the Sprint 2 it might be worth allowing clamped ali hex's too? Here are my thoughts/suggestions anyway, building on the rules from the last race..

Part allow List

HPI UJ's - http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=86198

RPM Ball Cups – 100’s on ebay
6mm HPI Ali Hex's - http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=72036
Any wheels nuts
HPI E10 foam bumper (Fills the shell better) - http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=6279

Use of bumper on the rear (again use an E10 foam)

Choice of shells -

BMW M3 - http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=17548

Corvette C6 - http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=17503

Porsche GT3 - http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=17541

Ford GT - http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=7495

All shells to use this wing to standardise –

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=85288

HPI +3 front and +6 rear offset wheels, open choice of colour/design as before. The inserts could do with being thicker though if we can get some, we only wore our tyres on the outside edges near the tyre wall with those thinner inserts. There was too much of an air gap I think and the main patch of the tyre wasn’t worked as much, just collects pickup. Not sure how everyone else got on?
Thoughts?

The chassis must be completely stock and built as per kit instructions. Only exceptions are general shimming, lubrication and mods to battery holder parts for QR battery strap. EG no titanium/ali screws and servo horns, no hard diff grease/sealing and turning the diff into a near spool like affair ect ect.. Everyone has the same ESC and motor whatever brushless solution we go for.
Only 1 shell to be used in the race.

I'm open for debate but these are just some of my ideas. My thought process was to improve the weak points on the car from last time (mainly ball cups) and leave little room for super ninja performance sneakery. We all try it . With the cars on similar pace the race will come down to teamwork, battery changes, driving and putting the new tyres to good use.

Although I suggested a GT1 & GT2 format to accomodate the idea of other TC's, on reflection I vote we stick to the Sprints. To be fair I dont know of many high spec touring cars that are built to last, they are built to be fast over 5 minutes. Aluminium/composite outdrives would get raped in about 2 hours! It will be so expensive to run somthing like that for 24 hours, the spares costs from most makes would be enough to make you cry.. And from likely part failures (mainly ball diffs/spools) the Sprints could beat them anyway by solidering on, which would be super embaressing . I imagine most of the teams will want to come back too, taking up most if not all the rostrum space. Any new teams wishing to enter, it would still be cost effective with the Sprint 2.

Hope these suggestions arent taken the wrong way, as I said before the event was epically brilliant, all the teams were great and John should be knighted or something! These are just my ideas to possibly help make the next one even better.
Old 16-06-2011
Mad Member

We had one driver who uses a steerwheel, but used sticks for the event. In all his stints he didn't lose us any laps on second!!

Chassis - we've discussed it and don't mind either way. The HPI chassis is all plastic and has a lot of give in a shunt. Anything with a composite chassis will have much less give and tend to transfer loads to the suspension and uprights. Just a thought...
Bodies - we'll all have to buy every body and test it to find the best one, then we'll all stick to that one. Why not just have one body stipulated as we did last week and then costs are down and we are all in the same boat?

My 2p on motors. E=1/2mv2 (E equals a half times M times v squared). That means the kinetic energy of any object is its Mass (weight) times the square of its speed. For our cars weighing 1.6kg travelling at 9 metres per second (about 20 mph) it has an energy of about 0.6kj (kilojoules, but that's not important). If you up the speed to 30 mph, then the energy is 1.5kj, or 2.5 times what it was at 30% less speed.

Why is that significant? Because when you hit something, all that energy has to be dissipated. And the more there is to be dissipated, the more work it will do. And the more work it does, the more likely it has enough to break something. Depending on where you hit things will depend on what breaks, but one can imagine what effect this will have if you hit a corner marker with a front wheel with 2.5 times the force you has before...

If we go to something much quicker than a 20T, then every crash will take much greater toll on the cars and the track barriers. John may not need a fund just for a new carpet, he might need all new barriers the following week! The impact on the cars means that we will all need more spares since the chances of breaking something are 2.5 times greater for a 30% increase in speed. And that's before we factor in the increased skill and mental capacity needed to drive a car 30% faster with 14 other cars on the same bit of real estate!

Please think very carefully indeed before we select a motor that is any faster than the one we have used. 17.5 should be fine, and 13.5 may mean some people having to retire their car before 24 hours is up simply because they have run out of spares. It is my 2p, but I hope its value is not lost on you all. Thanks.
Old 16-06-2011
Mad Member

On JamesG's post...

Who's going to take all the cars apart several times during the event to check all that? Who's going to take that list and find other ways of doing what needs to be done to make the cars handle some other way? The more Rules we have, the more we will try to find ways to grab an advantage and the more likely that someone finds one and cleans up. It costs money to do that...

What was wrong with what we had before? Did the team placings depend on what people did that James suggests is limited this time? No. Team placings were achieved by driving skill and tactics ("Don't hit anything and let them all go" - ShandACola!) and not being off the track.

I just think that the more restrictions are put in the more work we make for John and his team. Aren't we also saying something like "someone is cheating but it's not me?" Let's just do it again with trust in the amateur spirit, with 17.5 BL, and have a ball!!
Old 16-06-2011

Finally got round to reviewing all the footage from the pace-car cam and the time-lapse, and there's not actually that much usable stuff. The pace car rolled at one point and the we lost everything from there onwards as the camera was no longer pointed up, and despite my instructions you all drove way too fast in the video lap at the beginning and not close enough when you made your passes!

Anyway, a short collection of clips is now here:

I'll upload the full time-lapse separately if anybody is intersted in seeing it...
Old 16-06-2011

I agree with the motors, a similar or *slightly* quicker equivalent brushless system to the Saturn 20T would be ideal for the reasons explained. A bit of testing in order?

SlowOne, its just clarification mate and I'm only making suggestions. No one can work around 'the car must be stock apart from x,y,z' rule. It's as clear cut as you like. The cars wont need to be taken apart. Its not hard to turn a diff and see if it feels like a spool, lightweight screws and aftermarket parts will be quite visible. The scrutineering would take no longer than it took last time. People had some questions on the day and its just a case of clearing it all up for everyone so we can concerntrate on the racing.

That video is awsome QuackingPlums, nice work!
Old 17-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
What was wrong with what we had before? Did the team placings depend on what people did that James suggests is limited this time? No. Team placings were achieved by driving skill and tactics ("Don't hit anything and let them all go" - ShandACola!) and not being off the track.
Not attempting to be disrespectful to ChandACola, but with this strategy they came 6th and I believe only started rising up the order once they took more of an aggressive strategy approach. Doris I felt ran the quickest, most aggressive car and probably spent more time than us (Team Dudley) in the pits, however made up for this by being simply much quicker on track.

With regard to bodyshells, yes it would be possible to buy one of each shell and test it in order to find which is quicker - I dont really see as the reward for doing this offsets the cost however, at the end of the day its really not gonna make a lot of difference at these speeds. Personally, like the new mooted tyre rules I see it as another element of strategy that may just give you the winning edge, but wont lose you a second per lap if you get it wrong.

With regard to teams entering "LMP" class cars, why dont we just see what the entry list looks like? I mean, if 5 teams of fifteen want to run an open chassis then thats entirely up to them, and I think the slower GT2 Sprints dodging out of their way (not to mention trying to outlast them in terms of durability and maybe even sneak a surprise finish) just makes it closer to the spirit of Le Mans. If we only get two LMP1 entries as we probably will then I agree that there is not much point.
Old 17-06-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
I agree with the motors, a similar or *slightly* quicker equivalent brushless system to the Saturn 20T would be ideal for the reasons explained. A bit of testing in order?

SlowOne, its just clarification mate and I'm only making suggestions. No one can work around 'the car must be stock apart from x,y,z' rule. It's as clear cut as you like. The cars wont need to be taken apart. Its not hard to turn a diff and see if it feels like a spool, lightweight screws and aftermarket parts will be quite visible. The scrutineering would take no longer than it took last time. People had some questions on the day and its just a case of clearing it all up for everyone so we can concerntrate on the racing.

That video is awsome QuackingPlums, nice work!
Which means that the emphasis for competitive teams switches to other areas in order to raise performance. The mods you want to outlaw are cheap and make the car good to drive. The alternatives are within those Rules and more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
With regard to bodyshells, yes it would be possible to buy one of each shell and test it in order to find which is quicker - I dont really see as the reward for doing this offsets the cost however, at the end of the day its really not gonna make a lot of difference at these speeds. Personally, like the new mooted tyre rules I see it as another element of strategy that may just give you the winning edge, but wont lose you a second per lap if you get it wrong.
Team Doris did a fastest lap of 14.1, and an average lap over 24 hours of 20.something. A body can be worth 0.5 secs per lap, so let's say 3%. For us, that's another 128 laps, or 40 minutes ahead on the clock.

The more you restrict the things you can see, the more costs you add elsewhere. If people want to add a class for more expensive cars then fine, but the proposed Rules on these posts for the HPI cars are adding costs. John had it spot on for both cars, mods he allowed and speeds he selected. I hope that the HPI class stays the same.
Old 17-06-2011

For the record Team Chand-a-Cola remained polite and consistent throughout, we didn't change tactic at all, rose to 3rd before our laps started missing (PT problem - it was plugged in backwards) so we proved that remaining on track was more important than fast laps. We finished on the same ESC, same Spur and pinion gears, all suspension arms and uprights (one castor block cracked) and original belts/ diffs, though we did have to change all four axles and the front diff out drive cups because wear was affecting the handling badly. We popped the ball joints off just twice in 24 Hours.

I think even a 17.5 would be much much faster than the 20T motor, I've seen some 17.5 races recently and it's amazing just how fast they are!
Old 17-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
For the record Team Chand-a-Cola remained polite and consistent throughout, we didn't change tactic at all, rose to 3rd before our laps started missing (PT problem - it was plugged in backwards) so we proved that remaining on track was more important than fast laps.
Ah OK, fair enough - never implied that you were anything but perfect gentlemen, it just appeared that you rose to third very quickly and I assumed that this was down to a strategy change. Hard luck regarding the transponder, had not heard about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Team Doris did a fastest lap of 14.1, and an average lap over 24 hours of 20.something. A body can be worth 0.5 secs per lap, so let's say 3%. For us, that's another 128 laps, or 40 minutes ahead on the clock.

The more you restrict the things you can see, the more costs you add elsewhere. If people want to add a class for more expensive cars then fine, but the proposed Rules on these posts for the HPI cars are adding costs. John had it spot on for both cars, mods he allowed and speeds he selected. I hope that the HPI class stays the same.
In retrospect there wasnt a lot wrong with the rules, so changing them does seem to be a bit of a risk vs reward thing. I can understand a body adding 0.5 secs if you went from a properly scale Tamiya replica shell to a Protoform Mazda 6, but do you really think that the difference between the HPI shells will be that noticeable - they are all reasonably scale are they not, not warped for aero benefits and surely wont offer much in the way of a performance defecit between them?

My concern is that we are making the cars too robust. Part of the challenge of the 24 hour race last weekend was getting pace out of the car without the expense of part failures. By swapping in UJ's, RPM cups and brushless motors arent we basically guaranteeing that most cars will run for 24 hours straight without any failure, other than maybe diff outdrives and the occasional knuckle? If anything this time it should be more challenging as we will all be better prepared. I echo the concerns about brushless systems also - on paper they cost the same as 7x Saturn motors, but if not absolutely dirt cheap then blowing up a single motor/ESC suddenly doubles your expenses. You could push the gearing with the Saturn as if it popped you were only down a tenner, or less than £2 each. Again, part of the point of the 24 hours I thought was changing burnt out motors in a timely fashion, or running them conservatively to try and increase longevity and avoid pitting - with brushless this element will be all but gone. Most of the battle we had with Doris/Worcester towards the end of the race was down to reliability, as we were unable to pull the deficit back in with pace alone - it got very tense every time a rivals car was pulled off-track and we were wondering if a belt had gone and whether we should dispatch a spy to the rival teams pit area.

Epic video by the way - perhaps include something in the budget this time for the onboard cameras that Dez reviewed in Racer a while back - wont record 24 hrs I'm assuming but would make for some cool footage. Only about £40 if I recall.