Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 28-02-2012

Look at the problems that Durango had when mistakes were found in the manual. They updated the manual online but I'm sure there are still kits out there with the original manual. And early adopters to that kit have a manual that is flawed. May as well throw it out and print the updated version.

I would include tuning tips in the kit so it can go with you to the track. But manual should be online to download and print or just save to laptop or iPad/iPhone for future use.
Old 28-02-2012

Not from 'the family' but I tend to use both a printed manual and a soft copy manual.

The paper manual that came with my cars to build the car with and take to the track (don't want greased finger prints all over my laptop!) and then a soft copy on the computer that I've downloaded to look up part numbers etc when ordering spares.

IMO a printed manual should always come in the box, as a consumer I'd want instructions with whatever I purchased and not have to go to a webpage and download it first.
Old 28-02-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
It simply has to be printed. It's the only way to guarantee ALL buyers of the kit can have access to the information required.
+1 printed all the way.

I run my own software business and because of the high cost of printing we are converting alot of companies brochures for online, disc and USB distribution now.... but when it comes to building a car - printed is the one I will turn too every time.

Nice to have the others as backups and sources of reference when away from the workbench (eg. ordering part numbers)
Old 28-02-2012

It's also worth noting, that by asking the question on a forum, you can safely assume the people who reply have some form of device which can read an online document or website. The people who should be swaying or contributing to your decision will not be on the forum, will not reply, and have no way of reading an online document.

So the balance needs addressing on what feedback you get here, to ensure you are getting everyone's views. Just a thought..
Old 29-02-2012
Mad Member

We realize that, Dazzler, and thanks for reminding us. Therefore, we are giving much weight to those who say they want the printed version to continue.

Initially, the new SCX -60CF will come with a printed manual. I worked on it most of the day today. But we are convinced that at some point the high-end R/C demographic which is our customers will tip away from printed anything. Either here or on R/CTech, can't remember which, we have seen several replies stating that right now all they want is a phone app. Not even a CD in the Kit.

So we think it's coming, the question is, when?

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 29-02-2012

An download-able user manual could be the most cost killer and environmental friendly idea. Always up to date, composed with color high definition pics, each driver is free to print it or not. A printed version available as a spare part should be propose on order.

A CD or USB stick delivered in the box is quite obsolete and useless in my opinion, regarding the availability of document on line, unless it brings a real bonus such as high def video of assembling steps.

In box, I will enjoy to have a "Quick Reference Guide" printed on a luxury sheet of paper. Water&oil proof print will be welcome. First side dedicated to exploded view with all reference parts and second side dedicated to setup tips&tricks and a useful ratio chart. Something convenient to slide into a hauler bag, keep easy reach and read when driver needs.

Just my two cents

Olivier
Old 29-02-2012
Mad Member

A downloadable guide, with high resolution images for the build, which can also be printed. Team build tips/mods on YouTube.
Old 29-02-2012
Mad Member

Duplicate Post - thanks Iphone!!
Old 29-02-2012
oOple Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
It's also worth noting, that by asking the question on a forum, you can safely assume the people who reply have some form of device which can read an online document or website. The people who should be swaying or contributing to your decision will not be on the forum, will not reply, and have no way of reading an online document.

So the balance needs addressing on what feedback you get here, to ensure you are getting everyone's views. Just a thought..
Welcome in the year 2012 !
99.9% of people with X-factory products will have acces to the internet.
If they don't and they take their horse* to go to the LHS and buy a kit, they can buy a manual there also! Wow!

*sorry if you use a tractor instead of a horse
Old 29-02-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Welcome in the year 2012 !
99.9% of people with X-factory products will have acces to the internet.
If they don't and they take their horse* to go to the LHS and buy a kit, they can buy a manual there also! Wow!

*sorry if you use a tractor instead of a horse
Wow. If thats the case then no-one tell all my client companies who are paying me to develop USB and disc based verisons of websites and online applications for those who dont have access to suitable Internet connections.

eg. my dad.
BT "broadband" for him is 256Kb tops.
Dont assume that everyone has Internet or enjoys using it.