Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Basingstoke Radio Car Club

Old 15-06-2011

Default Fuel types / quality

Afternoon chaps.

Quick survey.

What makes of fuel do we all use?

I need to go and buy some fuel (20% nitro) and wondered what the best makes are.

Do we buy what is available or do some fuels offer beter performance / economy / engine lubrication etc.

Phil
Old 15-06-2011

Hi Phil,
Price wise they should all be fairly similar give or take a few quid. Its personal pref really. Dont buy second hand fuel, Nitro is only good for around 12 months and it needs to be stored well. You would be surprised at the difference fuel quality makes. I use Optifuel and Byron. I try and use Optifuel because its manufactured here in the UK but Byron is a cracking fuel too. Tornado, Model Technic - take your pick.
Old 16-06-2011

I'm going to Apex on Saturday to buy some.

Anyone else need any as I aim to use the BRCC discount.

The more bought the bigger the saving!
Old 29-06-2011

i curently use BYRON 25%
Old 01-07-2011

Default 25%

most engines 21 and above are desgined and tested on 25%,most people racing are useing byron gen 2 25% at slough,give the engine the juice it was desgined for
Old 26-07-2011

Ive seen loads if arguements about fuels
In my personal opinion
Model Technics is quite difficult to tune with as it has a relatively low oil content
Optifuel gives off LOADS of smoke as there is too much oil content which again can make tuning difficult (I blew an engine as I leaned it out too much and it was still making good smoke)
Byrons seems to be the best option as far as I can see.
That said if anyone needs a gallon of 16% Model Technics, I have a can near enough full here which I will sell cheaply as I no longer need it, but its ideal for breaking in a new engine or smaller engines.
Old 26-07-2011

WOW, sorry Mav, please don't be offended, but don't ever use smoke output as a gauge to measure engine tune. You are right different fuels smoke output varies greatly and thats why I wouldnt use it as a gauge, in my opinion (not that anyone listens ) tuning should be based on temperature, performance and sound, and when you reach the peak turn it back an 1/8. Then you just go to remember to adjust forward or back on the HSN for track type and weather.
Its also good practice to re-tune regularaly as the engine wears. Usually if you forget the engine will start to remind you by not performing as expected or stalling etc. When I re-tune, I go back to factory settings and spend a few tanks re-tuning on a flat open surface as if it was a new engine.
Old 27-07-2011

No offence taken mate, we all have different experiences so healthy debate is a good thing and helps others make an informed choice.
Im still learning about tuning and still have ALOT to learn, trial and error, one blown engine is a learning curve, 2 blown engines is stupidy lol
Old 28-07-2011

I use 33%... cant remember what make without looking! thats 33% in a trx 3.3... not blown yet, and really increases performance!