Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 19-01-2014

Default Anti-Roll bar on AERO not working???

hello, i just installed these on my aero, but i do not see the benefit of these bars, as they don't seem to work properly...

on my ZX-5 the anti-roll bar worked noticable, even with the dampers on.

i have already tested the working of the anti-roll bar without dampers on my aero and even then, the roll bar seems to make no difference. and i am using the 1.6mm type, would be the strongest... when i push one wishbone fully up the wishbone on the other side is not moving ... as the anti roll bars normally will push the other side also up. as it does on all my other cars.

maybe i have mounted the front anti-roll bar wrong? it sits under the steering block, already tried it with loose set screw and tight... there is no change at all....

thanks for the help.

Hans
Old 19-01-2014
Mad Member

How free does the suspension move (without dampers)? If the suspension has friction, this will affect the handling a lot and make the roll-bars feel less efficient too - if you remove the dampers and one side of the suspension doesn't move up and down with the arm you lower/raise, there's clearly something wrong. Also, with the dampers and wheels removed, the suspension should fall on it's own weight when you raise it up then let it go.

It's quite obvious, but a good way to test the anti-roll bars workings is to just try them out on the track - If you ask me, on a table it's hard to notice a difference of roll bars on the table just by adding /switching anti-roll bars. If you want to compare them on the table, remove the dampers and hold one suspsesnion arm down with one hand. Push the other side up with your other hand, and you'll immediately feel how much resistance there is. It should feel very much like compressing a spring - logically really, the anti-roll bar is a spring between the two suspension arms

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 20-01-2014

Yes , that is wat I tried , wheels and dampers off , and when I ligt in Side up, the other site just stays like it is... And with my previus Cars the opposite arm Will move Also up when lifting one Side. There is site someting wrong , I Will check it this week so I can test it Again this saturday @ MIO. Oss
Old 20-01-2014
Mad Member

Sounds like you have some binding in your wishbones. Either at the inner or outer ends, need to strip down bit at a time to isolate each joint to see which one it is. (It's probably two!)
Old 20-01-2014
Mad Member

+1 - if that's the case, friction is occurring somewhere. It could be the inside or outside hinge pins. If that's not it, ball cups tend to deform permanently with overtightening, causing excessive friction.

Those are pretty easy to notice though and your suspension wouldn't feel very 'free' even without the stabilizers on there - therefore I'd double check if the anti-roll bars rotate freely inside the slots/mounting brackets on the chassis.

Check whether your anti-roll bars are absolutely straight on the part where they are held to the chassis, and that the bars have a small enough diameter to fit in the slots/mounting brackets. Also make sure that the slot itself is straight, smooth and clean of dirt and grit. If these things didn't cause it, check whether overtightening of the brackets and/or grub screws may have caused deformation.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 20-01-2014

Have you fitted the nut which goes on the end of the front hinge pin?
Mine was binding against the chassis which stopped the front arm from moving up and down free.
I took it off and the arm moved up and down perfect.
I ran my other k1 without the front nuts too.