Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 25-11-2010

Unhappy Sensitive steering

Hello

I'm finding the steering input too sensitive on my TT-01. A tiny amount of stick movement results in a big turn.
I don't have a fancy Tx - can only adjust the trim.
Does anyone know if there's anything I can do? A quick google hasn't turned up much.
Old 25-11-2010

What sort of servo are you running..

Acoms, Spektrum, Savox sell Cheap and Slow servos.

http://matthew-chandlers-rc--blog.blogspot.com/

Old 25-11-2010

Its an Acoms - I'm sure it will be a cheap version. Will that make the steering sensitive? and if so is there anything I can do short of replacing it?
Old 25-11-2010

A better transmitter with exponential (steering curve) adjustment should be top of your shopping list.

Until then, see if you can move the balljoint on the servo horn into a lower hole. This will give less steering movement for a given amount of servo movement. Had to do this when my girlfriend first got a cheap TC setup. Or get a shorter servo horn.

Additionally, if you can lengthen the wheelbase of the car or add some kick-up or caster it will also make it less twitchy and easier to drive.
Old 11-12-2010

Thanks guys.
I bodged a smaller horn on with a much lower mounting point. First run last night resulted in a definite improvement.
I appreciate this is a can of worms, but what would your recommendations be for a transmitter upgrade?
Old 11-12-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Thanks guys.
I bodged a smaller horn on with a much lower mounting point. First run last night resulted in a definite improvement.
I appreciate this is a can of worms, but what would your recommendations be for a transmitter upgrade?
It sounds like you use a stick set...

Because I am an old dinosaur, I still think that money put into the Japanese ENGINEERED radio systems (not the chinese-made clone systems) is money well spent.

For that reason I think that the Futaba 3GR 40MHz version at £120 RRP (less in shops) is stonking value. The 2.4GHz version is almost twice the price!

Of course, 40MHz FM is about as popular as Tony Blair right now and just as out-of-date - but it works, reliably, and crystal clashes are very rare nowadays.

You can find decent sets on eBay (or oople) from time to time such as the Futaba 3GR or 3VC, Sanwa Gemini or Exzes, or KO Esprit (although the KO suits people with small hands better and is a slight step down in quality form Futaba and Sanwa).

No doubt people will also suggest the Core and Etronix china-clone sets which are very cheap.

Once you have a radio wth EPA, you'll be able to get the proper servo saver back on the car, and the steering will be completely transformed - full lock will be full lock, no more, no less, just as it should be.
Old 11-12-2010

Wow. I had looked at the 3GR 2.4GHz but dismissed it as a bit pricey, 40MHz looks a real bargain in comparison.
And yes, I do use sticks currently as that's what the car came with, although I have toyed with the idea of changing.
Old 12-12-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Wow. I had looked at the 3GR 2.4GHz but dismissed it as a bit pricey, 40MHz looks a real bargain in comparison.
And yes, I do use sticks currently as that's what the car came with, although I have toyed with the idea of changing.
Well, if you are prepared to change to wheel, there is a lot more choice, although you are still going to be paying £100 for a good brand radio, and it might be 2.4 at that price too. I'd look at the same Japanese brands as well as Spektrum, which seems quite popular with drivers of a good standard.