Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-05-2012
Mad Member

Default YZ10 '94 restore.

Hi guys

I bought this one off CATS last week, and thought is begin a resto thread, seeing as the car needed a LOT of work, hence, a resto, not a quick rebuild.
On receiving the car, the first impressions were good, clean new chassis suspension components, new wishbones, but thats where the good ended, and the money pit began.

On a strip down, i noticed that both diffs were shot and very grubby/ rusty.

Lucky for me, ive managed to source parts for a full set of of new diffs.

The left rear driveshaft was badly bent, and all four shafts worn to thr point of excessive play, all new ones were ordered.

The rear bulkheadn and front were stripped on the underside, so new ones were needed, and also, the rear camber link, seems to have been stripped of thread, and hastily bodged up, yup, a new one ordered lol.

This is how she lies now, awating a big box of parts to put it all right properly, many screws were bent, missing, and even chopped down on its original "resto" this is all being put right, to make this girl glorious as she one was.

As soon as some of the parts land, ill be updating the thread with the build, itll be quite different to how i recieved it, Masami shell in the pipe too.......this will be fun, although very costly!

bests.........lee
Old 10-05-2012
Mad Member

Funny...I saw that YZ10 on the RC10 website....was meant to be a shelf queen I think. Doesn't look to be in too bad nick really.

Good luck with the rebuild. Hope it ain't too costly! I'll be posting mine at some point.
Old 11-05-2012
Mad Member

It doesnt look bad at all bud, its when you really get into it, the nightmare ensues lol, ive got many parts enroute now, so itll be almost 100% brand new, a proper restore i feel, not a casual glance over! It was a long way off a shelf queen, put it that way!

Lee
Old 11-05-2012
Mad Member

Hmmm.. I ain't so keen buying lots of parts although I had to shell out on some newish wishbones, shock towers and top deck. I recently bought some team Suzuki upgrade bling aswell!

I think with the other bits I've bought I'll have two rollers: one shelf ( but not queen) and the other for casual racing.

I'd really like to see how you get on!

The yz10 series are great pieces of kit!
Old 12-05-2012

Where did you get new driveshafts?..mine are shot and are the only thing it needs...
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 12-05-2012
Mad Member

eBay.com
Old 12-05-2012
Mad Member

NIP shafts were from France, most other parts from the US, a few parts have landed now, and im just waiting on another package and i can put his back to maybe a 95% new car, which will be nice.

lee
Old 20-05-2012
Mad Member

Some parts began to arrive.

Update, 100% new diffs.

New rear susp units and shafts, this whole back end is now all from NIP.

Rear diff in, all new parts here too, sill waiting for a couple to land.

Starting to look like a Yokomo again hehe.

Itll be at least a 95% new car when im done, pristine clean ready for some period electrics, i cant wait, and all in all, im having some fun putting it back to mint condition.

lee
Old 20-05-2012
Mad Member

Looking promising!

Like the team Suzuki wheel adapters

Are you going to use titanium screws where you can?

About electrics, have you thought what turn motor you'll install?
Old 20-05-2012
Mad Member

Not fitting titaniums no. Motor, havent really thought much on that yet, other than itll have to be period (Reedy/Yokomo) and not TOO hot, these diff parts arent too easy to track down.
Anybody got some decent YZ10 shell pics of that era, obviously ive seen all the Masami and Pavidis stuff, just want to see what other team jobs were out there i can maybe replicate.

lee
Old 20-05-2012

This car brings back a few memories for me,if there's two cars I wish I'd kept hold of from my past it would be this one and my original pred. Loved them both

Loving the wing too,they were virtually indestructible!!!
Old 29-05-2012
Mad Member

OK, bit of an update. Rolling chassis is now pretty much done, just a few screws i need to swap out, and the shock spring retainers too, original parts on the way, and its about done then.
This car now has a FULLY new drivetrain, its lovely lol.
I need to rebuild the shocks again, seems the "new" LOL, AE shocks i was sold (read, done up like a kipper) need new seals, as they pee oil out, yeah, i really was told they were new LOL, other than than, once they are done, its bodyshell and electrics time.

lee

Old 29-05-2012

That looks stunning mate well done and good work however I don't fancy the dent it made in your pocket lol
Old 29-05-2012
Mad Member

LOL, cheers mate, yeah still pulling that dent out, bit of filler, be good as new .
Gonna get my shell cut out this week, was going for a Masami job, but ive decided its a bit cliche on anything but a WCS, so opting for something very 90's, but still very fetching, more on that once i break out the airbrush.

Cant wait to run it now TBH, after all this, i really fancy breaking it in gently.

bests.......lee
Old 29-05-2012
Mad Member

I didn't think the wheel adaptor went on the outside of the rims. I thought they just replaced the stock ones and were in the inner side of the rims.
Old 29-05-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
I didn't think the wheel adaptor went on the outside of the rims. I thought they just replaced the stock ones and were in the inner side of the rims.
Come again? You mean the nut? Yes, the Suzuki hubs use a nut, rather than a screw fit system.

lee
Old 29-05-2012
Mad Member

Ah! I see.
Old 04-06-2012
Mad Member

A few pics with the new shell on, that isnt staying on. Its a TBG shell, which is ridiculously small, you have been warned lol. Another shell is in the pipeline from a better supplier.

lee

Old 04-06-2012

Awsome! A Masami-scheme replica body would be nice on it!
Old 04-06-2012
Mad Member

Thought about it, but, there are far too many Masami tributes out there i guess, maybe, i need to ponder it as ill be painting the new shell soon hopefully.

lee