Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 20-01-2014

Default Supastox front tyres

Hi all,

I'm about to replace my kit fronts on my GT12 with 50 shore (the preferred front at my club) and I think I've seen different diameters. Which do I want?

Cheers!
Old 21-01-2014

This will apply equally to rears as well as fronts...

Larger diameters give more grip thanks to side wall flex when you load them up in the corners. With larger diameters you also get a bigger contact footprint and therefore more traction when accelerating in a straight line. However, larger diameters are more prone to pealing off the rims and chunking than smaller diameters are if the side wall flexes excessively. Drivers can also detect a slightly more sluggish reaction from the car with big tires.

The reverse is true for smaller diameter tires - less side wall to flex and a smaller contact footprint gives less grip and traction, but it can also make the car feel more responsive.

In general, run your fronts 1-2mm smaller in diameter than your rears (2mm smaller when the tires are larger and 1mm smaller as the tires wear down). Usually this gives a pretty good bench mark to work from.

James
Old 21-01-2014
Mad Member

Not sure if this is what you are asking...

Contacts came at 50mm diameter or thereabouts when they were first released. Since then Contact have reduced the diameter of the tyres out of the box to around 48mm rear and 46mm fronts. If you mean that these are the different diameters you have seen, then check what's in the box before you buy.

I you mean the question James has answered then... James has answered it!

I run my tyres starting at 44mm front and 46mm rears. 50 fronts wear like iron - in nine races at the NEC for the Autosport my 50 fronts went from 44 mm to 43.6mm! 50s are the front of choice for the majority of SS runners at Nationals. HTH
Old 21-01-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Contact actually sell rear tyres at 50mm and front bb (ball bearing) fronts at 46mm and 50mm diameters.

You will find it best with 46 on the front it will be even better with them trued to 44 ish front and 46 ish rear, if you don't have a truer run them as in the box 46/50 but you will stand more chance of grip roll and chunking