Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 10-11-2010

Default wow......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
I know, I only won because of the foams, it was nothing to do with consistant lapping, the last qualifyer beiing all 16 second laps apart from the 3 or 4 15 second ones LOL

Agree with the rubber only rule as i've only got the one set of foams that were made for me over 2 years ago LOL.

And hopefully Matt will get his finger out and make the rest of the jumps this week as he's nothing else to do

I practiced with some worn out ballistics and green mini's and they were fine, so don't acetone your tyres, get on down to the moto arena and use them up that way (until they tip the clay in)

Matt, would be a good idea to post some pictures on here throughout the week of the progress (jumps etc) to give everyone an idea of what's to come for next Tuesday ........... wood merchant is about a quarter of a mile from the track and will deliver 40 sheets of ply for free if asked , and there's a carpet shop in Northampton that can supply industrial (cheap) carpet in long roles. You don't need expensive Primafelt for these little babies, they'll run on anything

someone's been a busy boy or....just got alot of spare time on his hands.....the constant lapping was just a fluke i reckon......haaa,what about trying to get more young kids involved,a kids race would be great..and maybe kids could race for a £5 ..............
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Was a good night and definately glad I went, with a few more features it will be a definate weekly trip over!

Definately need a good supply of old rubber to destroy though.. found knackered yellow pins worked quite well if it helps.

Would also like to see some pics as and when of the new ramps and features..
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2kompressor View Post
Shuey is now mine cheers Ed
Alec has a 2.5 that'll fit nicely into that for sale was you running that in you 511 last night mate? Maybe that's why you were 2 or 3 laps ahead all night......

My mate has some footage, hopefully he'll forward the link tonight.

Has anybody got a ramp designs they fancy sharing?
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Shame you dont want foams, I use them and they are awsome.
you do need to true every couple of runs though.
Their not too expensive!!! £6.25 for a cars worth of tires only.
Or i could get for about £35.00 glued and trued on rims. that is pricey to me.
I also recycle my rims so i can get 2 or 3 uses out of them.
Still whatever is used i am looking forward to having a play

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 10-11-2010

Foams may be awesome, but will the racing be better as a result of everyone having awesome grip?

Or will it result in faster motors, turbo escs, bigger batteries, drivetrain wear and more expensive crashes? Basically all the stuff you see in Touring Cars.

I think the racing will be better if everyone has an average amount of grip; enough to make the cars driveable, but not so much as to create a speed war. Most of the cars on rubbers last night looked good enough for some fun racing. Alec's foam car looked more like a touring car that could take jumps.
Old 10-11-2010

We don't want to use foams because we want to race off road, if we we use foams we might as well race touring cars. If you remember rightly this is exactly how TC started

Off road = No tarmac

On road = No dirt/dirt/jumps

Simples
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
We don't want to use foams because we want to race off road, if we we use foams we might as well race touring cars. If you remember rightly this is exactly how TC started

Off road = No tarmac

On road = No dirt/dirt/jumps

Simples
Sorry Lee, despite being double european champion, your going to have to bulldoze that tarmac track you had build in your back garden as your not allowed to run you off road car on tarmac...................
Old 10-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

As i've already said, the foams were a one-off set made for me and actually trued on buggy wheels to the same diameter as a set of minispikes so the car looks like a buggy as I can't stand the super thin touring car foams that were used in days gone by on buggies ............ they did look cack LOL

It wasn't until the car stopped moving that most people realised that they were foams and not rubber last night. But no one should get carried away and think there's any cheating going on, the idea was to try different tyres etc to see what works best.

I'll be back on rubber next week and anyone who wants to use the foams on their car (provided they fit) are welcome to give them a go ........... except for Truman 'cos he'll beat me whatever he uses LOL
Old 10-11-2010

Quote:
It wasn't until the car stopped moving that most people realised that they were foams and not rubber last night. But no one should get carried away and think there's any cheating going on, the idea was to try different tyres etc to see what works best.
I could tell from up on the rostrum .

I agree its good to give them a try and see what the options are, at this stage the whole thing is going to evolve week by week; there aren't really any rules (yet) so you definitely weren't breaking them!
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Alec

Let's face it mate you were 2 or 3 laps a head of me, which would have been the same distance had we been racing on any other track............ you big cheat!!!!
Old 10-11-2010

Any chance we can get an agreement on the controlled tyre before next week? I ran a bald set of Yellow Minispikes and in the final they became very shiny and had no grip at all.

I dont have many old sets of tyres so would like to get the right ones as I am planning on making the trip most weeks.

Gareth
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

A little bit from last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v7EXZ_ptIo
Old 10-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmidas View Post
Any chance we can get an agreement on the controlled tyre before next week? I ran a bald set of Yellow Minispikes and in the final they became very shiny and had no grip at all.

I dont have many old sets of tyres so would like to get the right ones as I am planning on making the trip most weeks.

Gareth
Unfortunately Gareth until we know how much carpet and how much tarmac there is going to be there is no way anyone can tell which tyre will be best. As things are added I imagine we will see a favourite appear but until then we'll all be guessing I think. Last night the best tyres to use (excluding my cheating foams) were probably green minispikes or green ballistic buggy's, in my opinion (i've tried them), the worst of all were yellow minipins as they are actually quite stiff. If you've ever cut one in half you'll notice how thick the wall is in comparison to other tyres, so although they work well on carpet they are definitely not so good on tarmac.
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
The worst were yellow mini pins
Now you tell me, I thought they were ok
Old 10-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by x313 View Post
Now you tell me, I thought they were ok
You should have asked LOL
Old 10-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgio View Post
A little bit from last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v7EXZ_ptIo
You had to show my worst run Nick
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
You had to show my worst run Nick
Of course
Old 10-11-2010
Mad Member

4wd final

http://www.youtube.com/user/rhythmic.../0/P0VJw3rLFjg
Old 11-11-2010

will there be race results posted anywhere from week to week i know its early days but its something that people will want to see ...

i thought the venue was excelent and with time and guidence this could be the best indoor off road track in the uk but that said £10 for 3 hours of racing? might need to look at getting that price down £8/10 for six hours would be better
Old 11-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
Foams may be awesome, but will the racing be better as a result of everyone having awesome grip?

Or will it result in faster motors, turbo escs, bigger batteries, drivetrain wear and more expensive crashes? Basically all the stuff you see in Touring Cars.

I think the racing will be better if everyone has an average amount of grip; enough to make the cars driveable, but not so much as to create a speed war. Most of the cars on rubbers last night looked good enough for some fun racing. Alec's foam car looked more like a touring car that could take jumps.
for what its worth, I agree with this.

typically, everyone will always have a stack of used/knackered yellow mini-spikes from club, national or any off-road meeting.

keep the carpet to a minimum so that worn 'off-road' tires dont suck more than new ones and have everyone running yellow mini-spikes.

Ive driven enough 'laps' in street testing to know that cars have a nice amount of grip on tarmac with worn yellow mini-spikes.