Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 08-04-2013

Default Anywhere close to Wigan for practice

Is there anywhere near Wigan where I can take my son to practice I want to get him used to driving on a proper track then eventually start racing. He has a Tamiya plasma edge that he got for Christmas last year and uses it around the garden and school field I know this wont be much good for racing with but if he gets into it I will buy him some proper kit. He is only 4 (5 in august) so probably a bit young to go racing but He is now asking me to build him a track.
Old 08-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
Is there anywhere near Wigan where I can take my son to practice I want to get him used to driving on a proper track then eventually start racing. He has a Tamiya plasma edge that he got for Christmas last year and uses it around the garden and school field I know this wont be much good for racing with but if he gets into it I will buy him some proper kit. He is only 4 (5 in august) so probably a bit young to go racing but He is now asking me to build him a track.
Both Ribble Valley at Leyland and Bury cater for young children, Ribble always run indoors on a Friday night and Bury are currently outdoors on a Sunday.
Lee
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
Hiya

My son had the Plasma Edge as his first car and it can be upgraded to a race-able level with hop ups. My sons car ended up with a 11t brushless system, lipo batteries and 2.4Ghz radio. We fitted bearings all round, upgraded the steering system/servo and put decent shocks on it. Then fitted proper race tyres and it was a great learner car. He raced for a year at an outdoor astro track and it was very robust, surviving many crashes.

He now has an SX2 bought second hand from here and is getting competitive.
Old 09-04-2013

Hello ElJefe

Have a look at this recent article from the LEP about our club.
http://www.rvrccc.co.uk/index.php?p=1_17_Picture-Album

Your son will be very welcome to come down any Friday.

Peter
RVRCCC
Racing for Fun
Old 09-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Bury is probably your closest for practicing not at a race meeting. Our track is outdoors in a public park so you can always turn up and have a go. You'll have to climb over a small fence to access the track but lots of people do.

We race on Sundays, under 13's race for free. We have a specific heat for youngsters (Fun class) so as long as he has even basic car control you can turn up and race. We normally have 5 or more racers in that class, as young as 5. I'll be taking my eldest son along just as soon as I can get a suitable transmitter for him - He'll be 3 in August and just can't hold adult sized radios yet.

The only thing is that at 4 I'd suggest it would be best if you marshal for him as some of the cars are pretty fast.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 09-04-2013

Thanks for the info. I think I will take him along to bury. I called in JE models today and he was saying let him have a go at bury has we can set up a small track to get him used to driving around a circuit without the pressure and chaos of racing. also I don't want him getting in the way and ruining anybody else race until I think he is ready.

Lee
Old 09-04-2013

Bury's a great practice track, i race up at southport but i practice at bury, its a great open track to learn how to take jumps and stuff, so certainly a good choice for your son to practice.
Old 09-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcnoob View Post
Bury's a great practice track, i race up at southport but i practice at bury, its a great open track to learn how to take jumps and stuff, so certainly a good choice for your son to practice.
Thats the one problem. People who practice but never race on our track contribute to wear and tear without pay any money for its upkeep.

I have no problem with inexperienced racers wanting to learn on our track before coming to our meetings, but the number of experienced racers who use it as a free testing ground without ever coming to a single club event is getting a bit annoying!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Thats the one problem. People who practice but never race on our track contribute to wear and tear without pay any money for its upkeep.

I have no problem with inexperienced racers wanting to learn on our track before coming to our meetings, but the number of experienced racers who use it as a free testing ground without ever coming to a single club event is getting a bit annoying!
Ive no problem paying or contributing to the club for him to practice has there is nowhere for him to go.
Old 09-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sorry - wasn't a dig at you!

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 10-04-2013

Just called to have a look has I was passing it looks ideal for him to start on.