Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 18-10-2013

Talking db01 v's df03 ?

hi as a complete noob i was wondering which kit is best for me , i have only ever built tamiya kits and not for a few years , i would be using it for bashing about but like to set it up as best as poss including up grades etc any help gtatefully received and or is there better for about the same money?
Old 18-10-2013

The DB01 out classes the DF03 in every way.

Both will cost you a huge fortune to up grade.

The DF03MS is a well hoped up kit straight from the box

http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/84370...on-p-7688.html

And the DB01R (if you can find one) is the hoped up kit.

But you can get the DB01RR now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-84369...-/331035477488

Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

www.huntersystems.co.uk
Old 18-10-2013

I've looked recently at the DF03MS but not pulled the trigger on one. It has alloy gears which are prone to wear, and aftermarket steel replacements are rare as hens teeth.

I bought a used DB-01 Durga racer, hopped it up with some alloy 3racing parts and a slipper. It was a great strip and rebuild, quite technical at times and certainly one to take time over numerous evenings. It's a quality piece of kit.

I then stumbled on a ex racer DB-01R in Hungary, won it for less than £80 delivered and rebuilt that. Because it has do many hop ups to start with it was a very economical buy.

The plastic quality of the db-01 is in another league to the DF cars, yes the latest release of the -MS has lots of hop ups and TRF dampers but is a shorter wheelbase car and less tolerant when running.
Old 05-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by super gripper View Post
Both will cost you a huge fortune to up grade.
+1

I spent a fortune on the DF-03, only to discover its last two weak points, the top half of the front gear box. When the front shock tower takes a beating, it just sheers off the gear box. The other weakness is, after running for a while, the front brace also cannot take punishment.

There's also some minor geometry issues in the suspension as well as limitation of gearing due to the limited ways you can slide the motor inside the motor mount. Ofcourse the issues I have not mentioned are fixed with hop-ups.

DF-03 however, was and still is the best 4WD concept/scheme I've ever seen. We mess with saddle packs (BJ4WE, B44, etc.), mess with balancing the battery on one side and motor+electronics on the other (DB-01 and etc.), but the DF-03's scheme has solved that awkward imbalance problem by placing the battery down the center. I think Tamiya would have a KILLER car if they fix some of the issues mentioned, and the last most important issue with this kit: ABS style plastic.

ABS is great for most things, but it cannot take the punishment that we put these little toys through (I ran mine in Southern California tracks, with mongo triples and such)...

I think Tamiya should focuse on TRFing the DF-03 (DF-04 dare I call it?) and entice some good drivers...

In the near future, I'm thinking of creating a custom 4WD buggy inspired by the DF-03's drive train and battery location concept.

The servo being towards the rear isn't a problem. I run mine with a DS-1015 so it has plenty of speed and power...
Old 05-12-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

Don't over look the DB-02. All it needs as hop-ups is universal drive shafts, including those between the gear boxes and a slipper clutch to start out.

Here's picture of my daughters racing recently. It goes well with a 17.5T.

If going modified I'd up grade the shocks and suspension hangers to aluminium versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_3480.jpg (255.3 KB, 9 views)

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC