Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > West Bridgford Model Car Club

Old 04-01-2014

Default Lap Counting Issues

Hi All,

Sorry for the problems we experienced with our timing equipment yesterday evening. We suffered from a high level of electrical "noise" which interfered with the signals from the transponders. We believe we know what the problem is, and will make some changes for next week to correct the problem.

As part of this, we will be asking all drivers NOT to plug their extension leads into the sockets beneath race control. These are to be used for the race timing equipment only. Instead, we will provide 8 sockets running from the store cupboard behind the pit area which can be used as a power source.

Thanks for your understanding & co-operation.

In The Pits: Yokomo R12C, Yokomo MR4-TC Custom, Yokomo MR4-TC Pro, Yokomo MR4-Rally, Tamiya Blitzer Beetle, Tamiya M05.

Driven: Race Red Fiesta ST
Old 04-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Although I didn't race so I wasn't affected,it was a sense of dejavu!
Does the system not need a major overhaul?

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 04-01-2014

We know that the current hardware & software works, as it has done on many Friday evenings and every Saturday round of the current series.

Last night was a problem with the particular set-up on the evening due to various reasons, which we could not remedy at the time. We're confident we can resolve the problem for next week.

However we do plan to invest in some new timing hardware to be sure that we have the most reliable timing equipment available.

In The Pits: Yokomo R12C, Yokomo MR4-TC Custom, Yokomo MR4-TC Pro, Yokomo MR4-Rally, Tamiya Blitzer Beetle, Tamiya M05.

Old 04-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Awesome

Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Hi All,

Sorry for the problems we experienced with our timing equipment yesterday evening. We suffered from a high level of electrical "noise" which interfered with the signals from the transponders. We believe we know what the problem is, and will make some changes for next week to correct the problem.

As part of this, we will be asking all drivers NOT to plug their extension leads into the sockets beneath race control. These are to be used for the race timing equipment only. Instead, we will provide 8 sockets running from the store cupboard behind the pit area which can be used as a power source.

Thanks for your understanding & co-operation.

Really? Surely if electrical noise was the actuall issue this would happen every week?
Old 04-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Lee I think you should bring your generator next week,that will drown out any electrical noise

Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedolby77 View Post
Really? Surely if electrical noise was the actuall issue this would happen every week?
The box was actually showing a strong transponder signal coming back from the loop, but also a very high noise reading which was clearly the cause of the problem. We know that the equipment itself functions fine because it normally counts laps reliably. We also know that there were a couple of significant differences in how the cables were laid out last week which we strongly suspect were the source of the noise problem. So, this is what we're going to change for this coming Friday. We believe this will resolve the issue. At the same time, we are investing in some new hardware to be doubly sure that we can return to reliable lap counting at all WBMCC events.

If you have any further suggestions, or if you'd like to help run the meeting to spread the workload (we were rushed off our feet last week) then we would welcome your input.

Old 05-01-2014

If you have any further suggestions, or if you'd like to help run the meeting to spread the workload (we were rushed off our feet last week) then we would welcome your input.[/QUOTE]

Well if I did not have nearly an hour and a half drive home I would love to stay later and help out with any fault finding needed and putting away. I do however help when I arrive with getting out the carpet, track sections out and even have a go at putting the track together, so please do not try to be clever as it really does not suit you.
Old 05-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Well if I did not have nearly an hour and a half drive home I would love to stay later and help out with any fault finding needed and putting away. I do however help when I arrive with getting out the carpet, track sections out and even have a go at putting the track together, so please do not try to be clever as it really does not suit you.
We are most greatful for your huge amounts of help, setting out the carpet and taping etc.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 05-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

If you have any further suggestions, or if you'd like to help run the meeting to spread the workload (we were rushed off our feet last week) then we would welcome your input.
More people getting involved isnt the answer to the smooth running of the club,proven week after week when everything works ok.
Listening to suggestions from people not directly involved with the club better represents the opinions of the club members.choosing to listen is another matter,i think it was suggested along time ago to spend some money on proper equipment,no disrespect to anyone but head and brick wall,

Agreed more could be done with help setting up the track and packing away,myself included,when i race i help setup,
Others who race dont help so if i dont race i wont,
we dont pack away as the van turns into an Audi at midnight so we need to get home quickly

Old 05-01-2014

Not trying to be clever, it's just very frustrating when those of us that run the meeting miss out on the very reason we do it - which is for enjoyment.

Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Not trying to be clever, it's just very frustrating when those of us that run the meeting miss out on the very reason we do it - which is for enjoyment.
This is your choice, if you do not like it then do not do it.
Old 05-01-2014

Oh, and for the record I used to help run my local club many years ago so I am fully aware of what commitment is needed to make the day/evening run so all can enjoy.
Old 05-01-2014

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

OK guys, we've identified that running a club is hard work. Let's try to figure out how to minimize individual work so it is enjoyable for everyone equally. Let's face it, I think most people posting on this board care enough about the club to help set-up/pack-up.

I didn't do any of the number spotting, seemed like a huge headache! It is great that even when things go really t*ts up people can make sure the racing continues and everyone is happy...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this shouldn't be a finger pointing exercise...
Old 05-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I/we know who helps setting up and packing away.... I personally and the club are very greatful for all/any help we receive every week.
Also must thank the number callers and laptop jabbers, some callers better than other
And it has been said quite a few drivers hadn't realized we were timing manually as we kept it running smoothly..
Also said in a previous post, there will sockets available for everyone from the store room.
I'm going to use either a shorter extension lead so it's not acting like an electro magnet under race control or plug in at the far end of the hall...

Cheers Dave

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Old 06-01-2014

I along with everyone ( I am sure ) who races at WBMCC appreciate all the work performed by the members to create an enjoyable club night. To be honest I was quite disappointed that asking a legitimate question prompted in ( and not just my opinion ) a surprisingly fractious response.

Let just remember if one is never challenged on ones theory then one will never better their knowledge?...........
Old 06-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well I think your all crap and I'm not playing anymore! X X X

Old 06-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
Well I think your all crap and I'm not playing anymore! X X X
Only because I keep beating you!
Old 06-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Only because I keep beating you!
It's quite easy for you atm as he haven't got his car yet..

Old 06-01-2014
Mad Member

You can get any old shed and race it in clubman Mr Vardy - im in the process of bidding on a Grasshopper 2 with on-road tyres. 15 minutes left and am the highest bidder