Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: So then, what do you think of this
Yes I would be really interested 3 33.33%
No, I would rather something else (please specify in reply) 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-09-2013

Default 1/10 Electric Oval

Hi Guys,

Thanks you everybody for your feedback so far.

A new question, of those who do not find oval boring, would any of you consider a 1/10 electric Hotrod non contact class. It will be based on this car http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ssis_KIT_.html . The price of a kit is around £60 delivered. Parts are available albeit from Hong Kong warehouse but hopfully if we get a class going then they will stock in UK.
Sutiable 1/10 ABS shells are avaible from Kamtec

The clubs avaible, thats a diffucult one. Most local councils may not embrace the noice of nitro, but maybe happy with electric?

Any feedback appreciated
Old 16-09-2013

Default wycombe

google wycombe racing they run 1/12 oval on tuesday night they may be able to accomodate a class
Old 16-09-2013

Possibly indoor but at the mo looking at outdoor at my local club. Thanks for the help
Old 16-09-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Mikey, what is it you're trying to do? Are you looking to start a new club, or just a new class?
TBH I think there are probably forums better suited to these type of cars - most here will find any oval class boring after offroad (and even TC).

Hope this doesn't come across as patronizing or offensive as that's not how I mean it.
Old 16-09-2013

Not patronizing or offensive. Just trying to promote a form of rc racing that you and others may not be interested in
Old 16-09-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeylam View Post
Not patronizing or offensive.
Cool. Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeylam View Post
Just trying to promote a form of rc racing that you and others may not be interested in
Good luck - the more people doing RC (of any kind) can only be a good thing
Old 16-09-2013

Ok thanks for all your replies. Got another question. Is there any rear wheel drive cheap(ish) 1/10 on road chassis thats available as the turnigy doesn't seem a viable option
Old 16-09-2013
Mad Member

If you want to base a class on a WGT chassis, you aren't going to find one under £200. If you want a cheap chassis then there are plenty of touring cars that will do, and there is already a class for stock cars based on touring car chassis with drift tyres, it's called Driftstox
Old 17-09-2013

Too many classes already, I do 2wd and 4wd from the same manufacture which has some parts which are interchangeable and use common tools. This helps keep cost manageable. I can appreciate you think a new class might attract drivers to a club but looking at the bigger picture all new classes do dilute the numbers at club meetings as it does not attract new members who have not raced before.

I have watched oval racing many years ago (mardave,s I think) it looked fun but low numbers

jK
Old 17-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesk View Post
Too many classes already, I do 2wd and 4wd from the same manufacture which has some parts which are interchangeable and use common tools. This helps keep cost manageable. I can appreciate you think a new class might attract drivers to a club but looking at the bigger picture all new classes do dilute the numbers at club meetings as it does not attract new members who have not raced before.

I have watched oval racing many years ago (mardave,s I think) it looked fun but low numbers

jK
Sorry I beg to differ. I know a local indoor oval club that run 6 or 7 classes, most of which need an A and B final, and that's not including the 20-30 cars in the banger class. From the feedback I've had they're seems to be a number of people who don't like outdoor oval because of the smelly nitro cars So looking to introduce a electric class to encourage some of the indoor guys outdoor.
Old 17-09-2013
Mad Member

To keep the costs under £200...

Try the HPI Sprint cars. They do a brushed version that shops have under £200 called the Sport. They're good cars, handle well and have a huge range of tyres and spares available. They also do a sensorless BL version for about another £60 called the Flux. Both versions are billed as waterproof so ideal for outdoor racing. Best of all these prices are for a complete RTR car, so anyone can join your new class.

These are 4WD cars, but you will find that they will be much better to drive than 2WD. 2WD cars only have enough grip if they have a lot of weight whether their tyres are foam or rubber. Light 2WD cars are difficult to drive on rubber or foam. To give you class the best possible chance start with a standard kit (RTR making it appeal to everyone) and get the most drivers having the most fun.

HPI tyres are available as treaded, slick or even drift. Bodies from their True Ten range include Corollas, Civics and Nissans - even a Mini. A Peugeot 106 is also available.

I remember fondly the HPI Series from the 1990s when I ran a Sprint 1 with stock chassis, 17T motor and fixed tyres and gear ratio. Close racing, cheap and almost bombproof cars.

It's not a class that interests me, but as Col says anything that gets more people doing RC the better. It would make me stop and think about doing the class if I could choose the HPI Sprint 2 Sport RTR car as the basis, with any HPI shell that can resemble a hot rod (you could have a preferred list), and any HPI wheel/tyre with a max rolling chassis width of 190mm. Anyone can get into that class for about £200/£250 and race indoors or outdoors. HTH
Old 22-09-2013
Mad Member

As mentioned, there is already 1/10 oval in the shape of drift stox. Going for a cheap 4wd TC is best as there are lots to choose from, plus the 4wd will ensure its ok to drive even in the damp.
Old 23-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
- most here will find any oval class boring after offroad (and even TC).
Oval racing is far more interesting than both off road and TC, I've done both and short oval brings up a completely different and difficult challenge, it isn't just about turning right or left (depending what you are racing) it's about over taking other cars on tracks so small there isn't all that much space to do it, unlike on off road and on road circuits

I'd love the challenge of a rear wheel drive short oval car in 1/10th

How difficult it is to drive will only depend on how quick you want it to go, smaller batteries and slower motor and they would still be good but drivable

I'd love the chance to race these

http://www.rjspeed.com/kits/Legends/Legends.html
Old 27-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDORC View Post
Oval racing is far more interesting than both off road and TC, I've done both and short oval brings up a completely different and difficult challenge, it isn't just about turning right or left (depending what you are racing) it's about over taking other cars on tracks so small there isn't all that much space to do it, unlike on off road and on road circuits

I'd love the challenge of a rear wheel drive short oval car in 1/10th

How difficult it is to drive will only depend on how quick you want it to go, smaller batteries and slower motor and they would still be good but drivable

I'd love the chance to race these

http://www.rjspeed.com/kits/Legends/Legends.html
Thanks for your input, couldn't agree more.

Those legends kits look awesome