Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 09-12-2009

Default Tamiya M03R question

Am getting one of these to replace an M05 but does anybody know if they come with a high torque servo spring and alloy servo horn. I need to know as I'd prefer to order one at the same time if necessary seeing as it's coming from the land of the fake Rolex.
Old 10-12-2009

They dont have the high torque servo saver.

Unusual step though, and upgrade to the old model?

Also worth noting that if you are sticking with the kit shocks they are brilliant, but very brittle. They dont like being hit from behind.

I have always replaced mine with the black cva bodies (99p from yuor favourite auction) as these work just as well, and far better value than the 54000 dampers.
Old 10-12-2009

Had an M05, hated it. Was the most disappointing car I've ever had as I expected to just put it down on track like my old M03 and race, but it was an evil handling thing so I sold it on while it was still in (mainly) one piece.

Also, the M03R's that are still left are stunningly good value now.
Old 10-12-2009

Seems that the M05 moulds havent "worn in" yet, so everything is built to such a close tolerance that nothing works smoothly. I looked at the lower arms on one and they stay in place without a screw in place. not good.

The M03 mould's have almost worn out, so you get a kit with loads of slop which allows it to work much better.

Shame you had to make the move though as we are getting '05's flying now and they are much flatter through the infield.

Tamiya have let themselves down with the stanadard M05 steering beam though. more flexible than a korean gymnast.
Old 11-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond001 View Post
Seems that the M05 moulds havent "worn in" yet, so everything is built to such a close tolerance that nothing works smoothly. I looked at the lower arms on one and they stay in place without a screw in place. not good.

The M03 mould's have almost worn out, so you get a kit with loads of slop which allows it to work much better.
Not so sure about the moulds being worn out as the polymer Tamiya use is quite soft so I doubt it has any effect on the mould tolerance at all. And aren't the arms the same anyway so they'll be coming out of the same moulds for the M05 too. I just think the M05 main chassis is made to tighter tolerances so everthing is a more "snug" fit. Totally agree on the steering linkage though. All the hard work they put into the chassis is undone by an unbelievably floppy linkage.
Old 11-12-2009

Default m05

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Accident View Post
Had an M05, hated it. Was the most disappointing car I've ever had as I expected to just put it down on track like my old M03 and race, but it was an evil handling thing so I sold it on while it was still in (mainly) one piece.

Also, the M03R's that are still left are stunningly good value now.

i am with g. a. My first mini was the new m05 didn't like it at all, its the mo3r for me. GREAT LITTLE CAR.